Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:30AM

So basically, if you loose faith in because of "facts", it's not the churches fault or the lords, it's yours!

Ha! I love how everyone eats it up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:49AM

Yeah, if you have "problems with sin" then its ALL your fault. I hated that VERY time I went in to the bishop with a problem, after explaining, he would ask: "Are you obeying the commandments?"

Oooooo I hate it!!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:13AM

What a crock....so servicemen and women who are injured in a war deserve it??? Or you are in a bad car accident due to someone else being careless and it is your fault??? Only Mormons tell their flock this nonsense. The guilt they throw out to everyone is shameful. The big question----WHY do people put up with it???? I'd be gone so fast if my pastor ever said anything like this.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 07:09AM

My 80 year old mother is a TBM in huge denial about all the baloney that is dished out by the church. She is going through a lot of health challenges right now. Unfortunately everything that happens in her life she has to make somehow consistent with Moronism and her magical thinking. It is "a miracle" that she makes it to the hospital on time. Her "guardian angel" helped her drive to the doctor safely, etc.

She has been through a lot of depression and anxiety lately.

The other day she broke down and said "I no longer believe that the Lord will never give you a trial that you cannot endure."

I thought that was a huge admission on her part.

The church promotes a sick mentality. This type of thinking is very unhealthy and has caused my mother a lot of psychological harm and stress. But she still won't see that it is the church that is the source of a lot of the turmoil and stress in her life.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 07:48AM

Isn't that the obvious reason people commit suicide, do drugs, commit various crimes etc...because they cannot handle what "god" has put on their plate? I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me that those things are a result of not being able to cope with the hard times in life...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 07:59AM

The lord just helps us when we need it. I was always taught not to ask the lord to take away your heavy burden, but to help you carry it.

When one man is praying for rain to water his crops, his neighbor is praising God for the sunny day on his wedding.

It's funny how the church leaves you in the lurch by letting you believe that this is something that you need for your developement. And I believe it is a cop-out; Despite havng all the answers and the only pathway to God, with His power as a priesthood holder, despite all that, I have no answer or ability to help you (cuz there's a movie coming on in a few minutes). Therefore it is a trial that God has given you for your benefit, and by being a faithful tithe payer, it will pass if you have faith.

But here is something that experience has taught me- that when the chips are down, the sisters in the Relief Society will be there, but the members of your own Priesthood Quorum will not. I've seen sisters walk up to someone and put their arm around them out of motherly instinct, while people in blackness have sat next to the Bishop or the Stake President without ever being noticed. And I have seen the sisters go out of their way to take meals, wash peoples laundry, and tend their kids when they are sick but the Priestyhood guy might halfheartedly shake your hand (only at) church and mumble something about howsitgoing.

I admit however, that that was the ward I was active in.
The wards I grew up in seemed to have much better priesthood.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 08:08AM

This was one of the first things which caused me to begin questioning the existence of God. We were always told that we would never be given more than we could handle.

But as thithterthim mentioned, it finally got through to me that there are people who are pushed beyond their capacity to handle things every day, when they take their own lives.

I thought surely God would know each individual's limits and give them trials accordingly. I thought, "He lied! People ARE given more than they can handle. It's simply not true!"

It's one of those cog-dis moments in my life.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 08:31AM

I've had to deal with things that are not all that common for people to have to deal with in their life and I was not handling them well. I may have made it appear on the outside that I'm doing okay, but I wasn't. I always heard from my mom and others close to me "You are handling this so well, better than anyone else would be". Ok maybe others would have had a nervous breakdown, but because I was handling them better than others, does not mean I was able to deal with it and get through it. I did get through it, but only because I have an avoidance personality and I did just enough to get by...I didnt really fix anything. But I guess by my mother saying this, it made her feel good to know that I didnt do anything catastrophic or something. Whatever helps gain that warm feeling I guess.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 08:19AM

But, yes, I agree, it's all part of the manipulation and blame of Mormonism. And it's Mormonism covering its ass for when the bogus magic doesn't work.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 09:45AM

Yes you are right, I tell all that to all comitt that commit suicide every day.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 04:26PM by get her done.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:12AM

thitherthim--

Sounds like how people acted when I was going through hell, but if they tell themselves you are doing okay and handling it well, it is just so they can sooth their conscience for not helping you. THEY CHOSE to not see what you were going through.

I went through some stuff that I just had to keep putting one foot in front of the other--I barely survived. I had to for my kids--otherwise, it would have been easier to die.

My mother asked me one day, "So, dad and I were wondering if you were depressed when blank and blank and blank happened." The tears just started running down my face. I said, "If I ever have to go through something like that again I WILL take my life--I WILL NOT go through it again."

I realized later that it was OBVIOUS--everyone should have been able to tell what a mess I was. THEY CHOOSE not to see and if they can lean on the church teachings like God won't give you something you can't bear--then they don't have to do anything . . .

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:22AM

And if you have a sh!tload of ap-cray come your way, and you barely scrape by, wounded and scarred, you are "blessed" for having "passed the test that God has given you."

Rationalization
Rationalization
Rationalization
Rationalization
Rationalization

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:26AM

Here is an actual dialogue when discussing the suicide of the son of an aquaintance:

I said: I hope she can deal with this. I don't think I could.

Faithful said: We are all a lot stronger than we think. Besides, God never gives
us a burden we can't handle.

I said:
Then why are there suicides? Surely those who resort to this drastic solution must have had more than they could handle. I don't agree with that idea. Plus the idea that God inflicts suffering is abhorrent. That makes God a sadist. If there is a God then He or She is there to comfort us in our afflictions, not to send them.

Faithful said:
I hear you. I have no answers.

My comment on all this:
Then why did she say such a dumb thing in the first place?????

Posted by: Quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 06:21PM

I'd ask him to visit with his Fucking, worthless minion Jesus Jerk. Have them to observe Moms & dads with mentally retarded kids. Yea, if I sound angry because no amount of fucking rationalization can make it up what some people are going through in this life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.