Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 05:03PM

I really used to like Featherstone and thought that deep down inside he was really just a nice guy caught up in the familial trap of congenital Mormonism.

But his condescension to Simon Southerton in 2 separate correspondences is a glaring example of the Mormon-leader-authority-figure psyche that comes to the surface when it feels threatened or challenged by an underling.

Uhhh...excuse me Vaughn...let me rephrase that for you and your ilk...

"I feel it is spiritual immaturity and intellectual immaturity to want to wish, hope and pray to believe in the nonsense that you do that can be shown to be demonstrably false!"

For those who haven't taken the opportunity to take a peek at Simon Southerton's blogspot you must.

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-post.html

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 06:17PM

1. Featherstone does not understand DNA and its implications.

2. Joseph Smith, the prophet, never knew about DNA and did not foresee its implications.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:25PM

Glo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Featherstone does not understand DNA and its
> implications.
>
> 2. Joseph Smith, the prophet, never knew about
> DNA and did not foresee its implications.

any time that MORmON assertions are shown to be completely implausible in reality, MORmONS invoke the completely nebulous modifier/ context of "spiritual" / "spirituality"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1NYP60274

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ToPJZnFUjw

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 06:18PM

Featherstone is the guy who gave the "masturbation scroll" talk. I'm not sure what you expected from him.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 06:44PM

According to Featherstone, it is spiritual maturity to give your cash to a properties management corporation.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 21, 2012 01:02AM

My brother knew Featherstone personally and he thought he was a genuinely decent bloke. His letters illustrate how the power men hold in the church causes them to say and do things that are against their nature.

Loren C Dunn is another example. He was an arrogant bastard when it came to how he treated members in Australia. To close members of his family I have corresponded with he was very committed to the church and trying to do his duty.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 21, 2012 02:52AM

This underscores the ugliness of Mormonism.

There are a continuous flow of posts here about some "jerk" Bishop or "jerk" Stake President or "jerk" Mission President.

The explanation for the "jerk" part is that they were Mormon leaders trying to follow Mormonism. The problem is not that Mormons choose jerks to be their leaders but that decent people who believe, unquestioningly, in Mormonism have to become jerks in order to fulfill their callings. In each case the "excuse" for the jerkiness is that they were applying Mormon teachings literally and firmly.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 06:47PM

I am tired of people excusing someones hurtful actions by saying they are really a nice person--it's just their faith that makes them do that or some other named circumstance.

One of the best lines I ever saw from one of those coming of age high school movies was when this girl was defending her jerky boyfriend to kids he had bullied by saying that he was really a nice person deep down. One kid said, " Who cares. It's what is up on top that we have to deal with."

What you are like down deep doesn't count if it never sees the light of day.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 06:57PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> What you are like down deep doesn't count if it
> never sees the light of day.

I like that.

The Golden Plates don't shine if they never see the light of day. There was literally NO reason for God to keep them from being seen today. Couldn't God protect them?

Date: May 16, 2018 08:03PM

In my post of over six years ago I wasn't excusing anyone's
actions. Mormonism turns otherwise nice people into jerks. My
point is that we shouldn't let the Church off the hook when a
Church leader in their official capacity acts like a jerk. The
standard excuse is, "well the people may be flawed but the Church
is perfect." I'm saying, "no, the Church is making them into
jerks."

Date: May 16, 2018 08:49PM

I was agreeing with you and attempting to expand. Regret if it came across as anything else.

Date: May 16, 2018 06:41PM

Calling someone spiritually immature is judgmental and a handy "go-to" for someone to use who has no rounds in the chamber. It is also the grown-up equivalent of calling someone a "baby" like grade schoolers do to dis each other.

I've read Southerton and seen his evidence and reason. I think we know who the immature one in this scenario--spiritually, mentally, and with regard to integrity.

You were shooting blanks Featherstone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:13PM

His light weight opinion is nothing to a recovered exmo.

Date: May 17, 2018 11:30AM

He is dead. He can't think of me anymore. May his rest be in pieces some day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 11:30AM by Elder Berry.

Date: May 16, 2018 08:07PM

I love the "spiritually immature" label. How the hell can you tell if someone is "spiritually immature?" Is there a standardized test for it? Is there a list of symptoms in the DSM?

Or is it just a put-down that Mormons can use against anyone,
ANYONE, who seriously considers evidence that they don't like?
"Spiritually immature" is the Mormon equivalent of school-yard
name-calling.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:23PM

Giggling in church, especially during a prayer, is confirmation of spiritual immaturity. Or as I prefer to think of it, 'being as a child'. If there were a ghawd worthy of his title, that would be his goal for all of us. If ghawd is running everything, why can't we just be 'trust fund' babies?

Date: May 18, 2018 11:02AM

baura Wrote:
> I love the "spiritually immature" label. How the
> hell can you tell if someone is "spiritually
> immature?" Is there a standardized test for it?

I wonder if he thought of himself as "spiritually mature" as he lay dying?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 09:13PM

When a person is paid to believe something, no amount of evidence will change their mind.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 03:45AM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> When a person is paid to believe something, no
> amount of evidence will change their mind.

Oh! sure! and next you will try to tell everyone that Church leaders like Gordon BS HinckLIEy did not really believe in MORmON doctUrine but they just could not walk away from the MORmON gravy train ticket that they inherited so they just kept rolling with endorsing MORmON idiocy just for their own personal gain, that they would say ANYTHING in any given instance to maintain appearances, and hope like crazy that the stupid stuff they said never caught up to them, like MORmON leaders are really just big time self serving predatory creeps .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5eqps2O7s8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJbWRbWcifY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkSWt3KiMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCm4zFVIe0

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:20PM

Vaughn has had his head up the church's ass so long he can't see anything but their shit.

My FIL asked Bro F to marry us in the holy temple. He lectured me in front of everyone at the temple pretending to have "discernment," and made my wife question whether she should marry me. Everyone in the room was looking at me wondering what the hell he was taking about.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 07:18AM

The link to Southerton's piece no longer works, but Simon's blog is still viable, and he tells me he does his best to answer comments when he can even if the original blog column is several years old.

Here's his home page and his criticism of Keith Crandall--who's gone silent on the subject of Native American DNA since leaving BYU--and there's some up-to-date information on actual Native American migrations in the comments.

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com/2016/09/misleading-fair-video.html#comment-form

Date: May 21, 2018 11:57AM

Thanks. Good info. I resurrected it for the dead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.