Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:45AM

Another example of how divine inspiration for callings is lacking in the mormon church was driven home to me last week.

My TBM SIL and her family were visiting us for the Thanksgiving Holiday and they were pretty upset over their daughter's situation in Young Women's. Apparently the week prior, their DD (our neice) had been called to serve as a secretary in the Miamaid's group. What was the problem? The problem was that they didn't have a President, 1st Councilor or 2nd Councilor. The family lives in a small ward and my neice is the only Miamaid. The next oldest girl is 2 years younger. So you'd think she be called as President, right? Not quite. The Bishopric and YW's Presidency felt she was "too young" and "too immature" to serve any higher than Secretary but if she "worked on it" she'd be able to rise in the Miamaid leadership ranks. LOL. Better start lifting maturity weights. The SIL was so pissed off.

What total foolishness! My neice is quite mature for her age, does excellent in school and is a pretty good athlete. The ward leadership simply couldn't stand her being President all the way through YM and had to send a message. It would have been better to not call her, but the church always has to send a negative message concerning their power and control over you, don't they?

The family was grumbling about it the whole time they visited us, especially the SIL. I of course, used the opportunity to suggest that this is typical morg behavior and isn't confined to just youth callings. God would want their daughter to be miserable. LOL I've even seen situations where a kid is called as a councilor when there is no President, which is just plain counterintuitive. How can that happen? I thought the President chose their councilors. Whatever. The church leadership makes up its own rules. Just like it does for church courts and everything else.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of stupidity? Even funnier, my neice had previously served as the Beehive President. I guess the bar for that was pretty low. LOL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:49AM

Approval must be earned, though they never quite give complete approval. Besides, they can't give out positions of authority by default -- unless you have a penis.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:56AM

Especially if the kind of maturity they are looking for includes low self esteem and being easier to manipulate.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 10:02AM

Yes! LOL I can't tell you how many times we called folks for certain positions that they deemed of "lower stature". I even had one gal we wanted to call as YW Leader say "No, I can't do that. I'm waiting for a stake calling". Pffffffffttttttttttttttttt!!

Ron

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:53AM

The family must not be rich LOL.

If they were, the niece would have been called as president, regardless of her mental state LOL.

Mormonism is a make-believe world which only matters to believers LOL.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.