Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:49AM

I heard a blurb on the local news this morning that said he was going to testify about reading Mitchel's writings. His credentials were his knowledge of Ababic and Middle Eastern stuff.

So? I do not get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 10:21AM

Dr. DeMier testified that,". . . the self-proclaimed prophet suffers from bizarre delusions". No kidding!

Wonder what DeMier's evaluation of JS would have looked like.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 10:56AM

Standards regarding insanity are fascinating. I wonder if they're trying to introduce certain religious writings as evidence of Mitchell not being able to understand the consequences of his actions when he is having delusions.

From there, I suppose one could ask, does a person who believes certain things that clearly have no support in reality suffer from delusions?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:09AM

according Wikipedia, "In psychiatry, it is defined to be a fixed, false belief that is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process)."

So, if Joe Smith was mentally ill, he may have been delusional when he came up with all his shit. If he wasn't ill, then he was the scoundrel we all know and love.

In Mitchell's case, he was likely cuhraazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 11:10AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: tillamook ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:10AM

I remember reading Mitchel's writings. This was when I was still TBM. It is pretty much indistinguishable from the Doctrine and Covenants.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:23AM

the test for insanity we always used:
If you believe in old Biblical prophets, or Jesus, etc, that's Ok,
But if you think you are a prophet, or Jesus, or Moses, etc, that's crossing the line and you are a candidate for the mental hospital.

If he thinks he's a prophet, for instance, he's insane.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:34PM

The only difference is that Smith had more followers and used a smarter method to get chicks.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:50PM

the psychiatrist couldn't say whether the many fundamental Mormon "prophets" running around today (like Warren Jeffs) are mentally ill. Nor could he (I venture) say if good ol' Joe was nuttier than a fruitcake.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 01:52PM

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-elizabeth-smart-kidnapping-trial-final-days,0,3491091.story

"I believe that he does not believe that revelation does not necessarily consist of visions or hearing voices or anything like that. . ." Peterson began, before defense attorneys objected to the relevance."

But what he had to add, I can't imagine.

By the way, there is a rumor that his latest disappearance from message boards is at the behest of the top leaders who like to use him as a spokesman/deflector, and who tired of his online antics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 01:54PM by Heresy.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:46PM

I suppose it makes for better deniability.

Posted by: Crazy Dan P ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:23PM

Posted by: Handcart Bob ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:20PM

Posted by: mireille ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:59PM

I don't know why they'd have Peterson talk about Mitchell's writings--it's not relevant to the trial as far as I can tell. And even if there was a reason why Peterson should testify, his "experience" with ancient documents doesn't have jack doodley to do with modern religious writings, even ones as crazy and whacked out as those from the pen of "Immanuel" the kidnapper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.