Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 05:54AM

Here they are. They're not actually secret or anything, since I found these details in a book in the library. It's at times like this I wish I had a camera phone, as I would've taken a picture of it for proof.

The book had a lot of information on the companies in my town and the church apparently has 3 registered companies in my town. There was quite a lot of info about them, but I just wrote down the interesting bits. Here are the details:

Name : The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (European Distribution) Ltd.
Established : 1999
US SIC : 5699, 5611 Clothing Retailers
Sales : £6,393,722 as of 31-12-06
Profit : £788,608
Net Worth: £3,499,125
Risk Factor : 1

Name : Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Great Britain)
Established : 1847
US SIC : 8661, 6732 Religious and Charitable Organization
Sales : £46,997,000 as of 31-12-05
Profit : £16,242,000
Net Worth : £37,463,000

Name : The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Welfare) Ltd.
Established : 1830
US SIC : 8661, 0291 Religious Organization
Sales : £9,627,000 as of 31-12-07
Profit : £2,834,000
Net Worth : £64,384,000

Just some things I want to add. I don't have a clue what "US SIC" means, and what those numbers that come after it means, but I copied it down anyway, as I thought it might interest some people, especially that the first of the church's companies is classified as "Clothing Retailers". I thought they sold church books and such, but I suppose they might sell temple clothes and baptism clothes, etc. too.

Secondly, I'm not sure if the sales and profit given are yearly, or total.

Thirdly, the book assigned a "Risk Factor" to every company, giving the risk of them going bust. A Risk Factor of 1 meant the company had almost no risk of going bust, and a Risk Factor of 4 meant that the company had a very high chance of going bust.

I'm not an economics expert, but I guess that the "Net Worth" is an estimate of the amount that the company could be sold for.

Make of this what you will. A final thing to bear in mind is that this is for what was the Europe West Area of the church (which doesn't exist anymore, as it got merged into the Europe Area). So each area of the church will have their own companies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TechAdmin1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 06:17AM

thanks for posting this =) yes, pictures are always good. are you close enough to go back and take a couple?

Date: September 17, 2010 06:40AM

I don't have a camera-phone. We do have digital cameras, but they're quite large, so they're not very subtle, as I don't think you're supposed to take pictures in libraries. Also, I'd have to somehow explain to my parents why I'm taking a camera to the library, unless I can sneak it out without them knowing.

I'm hoping to go back again sometime next week, so I'll see what I can do. I appreciate that some people will be cynical about this, so I'll see if I can get any evidence. I might be able to photocopy it or something.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:21AM

Date: September 17, 2010 10:08AM

So it seems it's a way of classifying things. I think the Distribution company using "Clothing retailers" is a bit mis-leading, unless there's no other number than describes it better. However, I did see some companies in the book use more than one of the codes and descriptions, so it could've done that.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:04AM

Very interesting thanks.

Posted by: portuguese ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:17AM

Nice business oportunity! What do I have to do to enter it?? :P

Posted by: elfling ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:23AM

This is great stuff. Thanks.

Date: September 17, 2010 06:18PM

Wouldn't that be discrimation based on religion?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 03:12PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.