Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 05:55AM

It seems NoM wants to be exempt from campaign finance laws because they do not want to comply! "'NOM does not want to bear these political-committee burdens that Florida imposes under the electioneering-communications-organization label.'"

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/09/27/30580.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:43AM

NOM has refused to disclose its donors in Maine even after being court-ordered to do so. It is trying to effectively exempt itself from political fundraising disclosure laws.

I think the last sentence in the article actually refers to its actions in Maine, not Massachusetts. ("Earlier this year, the 1st Circuit ruled against NOM, affirming a ruling that the group had to hand over donor information related to its effort to overturn Massachusetts same-sex marriage law.") As far as I know, they still have not complied.

NOM is a real piece of work, and I hope that the Florida courts tell it that if it "would simply not be worth it" to comply with the law, then they can take their money and shove it.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:35AM

... why would you be afraid to admit doing so?

Perhaps the folks who suffered backlash from openly supporting Prop H8 can offer some insight.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Or just wake up and smell the coffee.

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.