Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 01:35PM

Has the church stance on this changed since I left in the early 90's? For a regular joe you were looked down upon big time if you missed church and had to work. I always thought it was such a double standard that if you were say a star NFL quarterback it wasn't an issue but otherwise there was hell to pay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 01:50PM

My family were Nazis about that, with a weird exception.

We never ever shopped on Sunday. Couldn't really do anything fun. Couldn't even go for walks with siblings on Sunday. Just had to be home and bored. Or more accurately quiet and bored.

However, I could work on Sunday. I worked at a restaurant in high school, and I'd tell everyone that I'd work their shift on Sunday if they wanted me to. Going to work was fun compared to being home on a Sunday, even if you don't count the three hours of church.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:05PM

Betcha if Monson collapsed in church on Sunday "fireman/paramedics/ER staff/hospital staff, etc would love to say-Sorry, can't help you, it's Sunday!!!

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:11PM

Reminds me of the time someone in EQ asked if it was ok to take a Sunday walk. I wanted to say, "as long as you keep it below the step limit"

Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:00PM

My TBM MIL works some Sundays b/c she is a nurse. I don't know who plays the organ for her on those Sundays.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:29PM

I was always taught it was OK for medical staff and emergency services.... not only OK, it was even seen as good.

OTOH non-essential services were evil..... and going shopping on a sunday was causing someone to break the sabbath and *that* was a sin in itself.

On my one trip to the US (Florida), as a TBM, it seemed like 1/2 the ward ate out on a sunday.... It was quite *shocking* to a brit mormon

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:37PM

I took a job as an animal control officer on weekends to pay off my student loans. For two years, I worked 7 days per week. Because I kept getting guilt bombed by an EQ prez, Bishop, etc. I decided to park my truck in the church parking lot, and attending Sac meeting in my doggy uniform. The look of disgust was evident from many members. People just stared at me to no end..shaking their heads. The EQ prez, however, came up to me and bear hugged me in the chapel for about 3 minutes. It was soooo weird. I was like, "dude, ah, okay, you can let go...people will think we are a couple." It was all show for him.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:58PM

not want to pay my college. Sundays were double time at Safeway with the meat cutters union wages.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 04:04PM

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 04:30PM

My previous ward had many members who worked for the railroad. They were often gone on Sundays, but no one made a big deal about it. It's been going on for generations in that area and at least these workers are providing for their families and don't require church assistance.

My current ward has a number of members who work in the oilfields. Once again it doesn't seem like such a big deal. I guess these individuals do not get called to presidencies, etc, much, but otherwise they don't seem to be treated differently from other members (my perception).

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 04:49PM

That's actually good to hear. I did a stint in the military and was away for months at a time. I was inactive by that time so I never got to see first hand how members reacted. I know all of use young men growing up could not get out of the doors fast enough to catch the remaining NFL games. That was when Steve Young was at his prime. I guess if you are making millions and tithing on that you get some slack :)

Posted by: snowcat2 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 08:14PM

a ski patrolman. Didn't go to church, earned a little money, and got to ski all day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.