Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:11AM

I read a quote on this board (perhaps in one of the exit stories) about faith being the belief in things not seen, not disbelief in the evidence we do see. I'd love to use the quote for an exchange I'm having with a friend, but can't find it. Anyone know this one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:14AM

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. that may not be exact. It is in the New Testament

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:18AM

You can look up any bible passage by goggling key words.

Here's the text of what you're looking for. The king james version is pretty much exactly what bona dea quoted.

http://bible.cc/hebrews/11-1.htm

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:20AM

Thanks, I'm too lazy to find my NT and look it up. I tried goofling, but obviously didn't put in the right words. Being lazy, I gave up.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:37AM

Thanks for the responses,
Yea, the first part is based on a the NT and BoM passage, but the second part is the authors addition. The point is that it is not a lack of evidence that bothers me, it is contradictory evidence. In other words, I don't mind trying to believe in things I can't see, but faith shouldn't/doesn't force us to disbelieve things we do see.

Anyway, tried to search for it by keyword and can't find it, although I'm almost sure it was in one of the exit stories.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:58AM

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/heb/11.html

There are cross references to the BofM. The nature of blind obedience is to deny what you know is true, because obedience is valued more than truth or morality. I have repeatedly seen TBM's rewrite history to erase a wrongdoing, and excuse priesthood holders. They will literally change the facts in order to keep the commandments to sustain their leaders. Apologetics is built around denying evidence. Other churches do the same, but they have had centuries or thousands of years to cover their tracks.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:41AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:48AM

There are known knowns;

there are things we know that we know.

There are known unknowns;

that is to say,

there are things that we now know

we don’t know.

But there are also

unknown unknowns;

there are things we do not know

we don’t know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.