Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 01:08AM

Yay, progress. I think. I'm never sure with the church, because they're normally so underhanded. According to this Trib article, the Only True Church has made one volume (the one on social issues) available to public. Could it be because of us always bitching about it and keeping it in the public eye?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/50690125-80/church-handbook-says-members.html.csp

The bad news: One volume is still only available to bishops. "LDS authorities worried that if it were widely read, some members 'might decide they dont' need to go see their bishop,' says Michael Otterson, managing director of LDS Public Affairs."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 01:30AM

"The bad news: One volume is still only available to bishops. "LDS authorities worried that if it were widely read, some members 'might decide they dont' need to go see their bishop,' says Michael Otterson, managing director of LDS Public Affairs."

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 08:18AM

I have read the Bishop/SP volume, and I still like my bishop, who is a neighbor and friend. That does not mean I look to him for spiritual guidance or use a title. Irrespective of access to the CHI, I don't see the need to go see my bishop.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 08:32AM

And if the Bishop says: "The CHI orders you all to wear black shoes to church" and if the members can see for themselves that there is no such ruling in the CHI, then they'll be able to ignore what the Bishop says on that point and on other points, too... And THAT would be bad for business!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 11:18AM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 10:39AM

No progress at all!

Book Two of the handbook has always been available to the public. You could order it FREE from the Church Distribution Center.

The only "progress" is that the church is putting Book Two on their website.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 10:51AM

They admit that they are doing this because it would end up on the internet eventually anyway. An admition that they can't control access to information as they have in the past.

Progress would be releasing their financial records. Never happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 11:09AM by caedmon.

Date: December 04, 2010 11:17AM

They are unlikely to volunteer their financial records... but I do expect the day to come when either they are forced to by law, OR the books are leaked out to the public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 11:18AM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 10:56AM

What does that even mean? WHY would members decide they don't need to see their bishop? Maybe it's too early for me, but I don't understand this.

Posted by: Dave ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 11:13AM

Bishops are VERY busy. And the cult keeps telling members to spare them. In some areas, members run to the bishop for the silliest things. (When they should go to their hometeachers, elders quorum president, or seek professional help - psychologists etc.)

The cult places so many demands on bishops - meetings, activities, reports etc etc. So if members had access to Book One of the Handbook of Instructions, it would actually spare the bishops.

But this excuse is a lie. They hide this kind of information from the public simply to avoid criticism.

Date: December 04, 2010 11:34AM

It is possible that the bishops' handbook advises bishops and SPs not to make too big a deal out of certain things. However, the leaders certainly would not want the sheeple to be aware of those things! Keep 'em scared and obedient!

For example--and this is ONLY theoretical--suppose under "Masterbation," the handbook were to tell bishops that if a *married* man admits that he occasionally masturbates, don't make a big deal about it. And suppose you have a married man who (like most married men and women) sometimes masturbates and has been agonizing over whether he needs to "confess" this to the bishop. If that man were to find out that bishops were instructed to view masturbation by a *married* man as only a minor infraction, he may well decide that he 'doesn't need to go see his bishop.'

But of course, the leaders would still want that member to come forward and confess shamefully to the bishop--because that kind of thing helps keep members disempowered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 11:35AM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 06:46PM

I have not read the new version of Book 1, but the older version has nothing exciting included. It would be a boon to let everyone read it that wanted to. I think they keep it secret to maintain the illusion that the Bishop or SP have access to information that makes a difference and needs to guarded.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.