Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 05:17PM

Also, what kind of animal is it that they use? I just want to know, so that I know what to avoid while trying new things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 05:22PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 05:41PM

I've been hunting for this for years.

I'm dying to try it.

I've been a coffee aficionado since I was in 7th grade.

My mom used to drink that Postum dirt. When I was in 6th grade I would put it in a thermos and take it to school. In 7th grade I went into a 7-11 and saw the coffee. "close enough" I thought. A-mazing. I drank it heavily all the way up to the morning I went into the MTC. After I got to Japan, I would buy the canned coffee from the hot dispensers when the other guys would be buying hot chocolate.

I should mention that I live in Seattle, so I have lots of fun options here, but alas, no Kopi Luak that I can find.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 05:44PM by Levi.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 05:43PM

Canned veggies? They have a certain amount of insect parts per can.
Sausage, hot dogs, hamburger? Rat droppings and parts.

Bread? Also more insect parts baked right in.

I would try the civet coffee if it weren't so damn expensive, but I used to eat ants and tripas as a child, so maybe I have a different POV. :)

If I get the chance to visit my brother and his family in Mexico City, one of the first thing I am going to try is eyeball tacos. If I ever get to Peru, I'm going to try some Jugo de Rana. Life is too short to be scared of weird shit. ;)

Date: May 13, 2012 08:10PM

All food has insect parts in it. Insects, especially microscopic insects, are so plentiful, that you are going to get a few bits of them with every bite you take.

Date: May 13, 2012 08:17PM

Especially tossed with chiles and lime.

Date: May 13, 2012 08:21PM

I've actually always wanted to try grasshoppers. Eating insects fascinates me, but I want to be sure they come from some place sanitary.

Date: May 13, 2012 08:26PM

I'm not keen on eating dung beetles or flies.

The funny thing is our meat is raised in absolutely disgusting environments. I am amused when people freak out about eating "weird" dishes, but have no problem scarfing down a Big Mac or chicken nuggets.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 06:10PM

I suspect it won't taste better, it's the novelty.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 06:39PM

Somebody refresh my memory.

;o)

Date: May 13, 2012 07:11PM

I saw it on Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. But I don't think he called it civet coffee ( or did he?)

Seriosly, I know it sounds gross to drink coffee beans pooed out, but what do you all think booze or cheese or bread is? It's the result of organisms living, breathing, and pooping. xD

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 06:52PM

POSTUM???

No, that's made from burnt toast or wheat or something.

I remember back in the "golden days of mormonism", before correlation, a convert telling people to never serve Postum to their guests in lieu of coffee....
it would make them never want to join the church.!

The only coffee we have around here:

Dutch Bros.
Human Bean
Starbucks
Black Rock

Bad Ass coffee (from Hawaii)

Plus a few independents that work the fairs and rodeos out of their RVs...:D !

But nothing made from excrement, even if it is as dark as....

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 03:36AM

oh, my beloved dutch bros......
I miss you so much...
I used to be able to walk/bike/drive 1 block to get the iced Mocha goodness,
now I have to drive 25 miles just to wave hello..
So sad

sorry, carry on :)

Posted by: mleblanc138 ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 10:53PM

I first heard about Kopi Luwak coffee in the movie The Bucket List. Near the end, the main character is told where Kopi Luwak comes from and he can't believe it.

Date: May 13, 2012 10:57PM

Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson! That's it!!

;o)

Date: May 13, 2012 11:00PM

@ FCD

I'm in Jacksonville, as per your inquiry a couple of weeks ago. My email is listed on RfM.

;o)

Date: May 13, 2012 11:15PM

I'm in the Panhandle. Are you just visiting Jacksonville, or do you stay year round?

Date: May 14, 2012 10:17AM

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 01:58AM

It is VERY good. I am a coffee afficionando-my DD calls me a coffee snob.Part of its charm was the beautiful way it was served in a ceremony with a brass & glass double chambered percolator over a little flame. The innate graciousness of the Balinese & the surroundings added to the occasion.

For contrast ,I am recently returned from the USA where the difficulties of finding barely decent coffee cannot be under-estimated.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 08:40AM

The only decent coffee made in the US, is made in American homes or served in Ethiopian or Carribean restaurants. Come visit me there some time, and I will show you.

Grab and go coffee of any brand in the US is usually stale from sitting too long, or made from burnt beans, even if they say it is fresh or lightly roasted. Or, the beans have been allowed to be mixed up with old (rancid, basically) oil residue not cleaned out of the hopper they are ground up in.

Fast, fast, fast vs good good good. I do agree there.

We do Greek (aka Turkish) Coffee over flame in copper beakers after dinner, filter coffee in the am or espresso when in a rush, fresh from ground beans only and brewed very strong, or Illy or Douwe Egberts, and also lately the Starbucks brand Via ground powder for a quick pick me up, using a hotpot during the day.

Plenty of us do in fact know how to make and enjoy coffee properly. The mistake is in going to a Mcdonald's-style coffee shop and expecting a barista/coffee bar experience. Never the twain shall meet.

Though I will give a pass to Tim Horton's coffee, because I like their steel-ground oatmeals and muffins.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 10:13AM

if they do it right...do not use the first little bit that comes out...and they use Bustelo....you will have a good cup of Joe...it is the ONLY coffe i will drink! i do not drink "American" coffee...only the Cuban coffee...Ralphy may has a great vid ont just this subject!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcQoUHVukw

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 03:19AM

Postum

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 09:07AM

Kopi Luwak. (Kopi being coffee and luwak being civet cat.) I bought some last year when I got to work in Jakarta for a few weeks, and brought it home and brewed it. The variety I bought in Jakarta was $35 for 100g--pretty dang expensive, but not as much as it costs here. It smelled chocolaty and was very good, but not THAT good. There are plenty of good coffees that far outdo kopi luwak.

I guess the civets eat the coffee cherries but can't digest the beans, so they come out t'other end. Supposedly, the beans "change quality" as they pass through the civets' systems. The dung is collected and the beans extracted and then washed and roasted. Sounds like a bad job, but SOMEbody has to do it, right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.