Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:14PM

In another thread, it was noted that mormons frequently say "with every fiber of my being", with that being unique to Mormons (at least that I can think of). What are some other words or phrases that are unique to mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:16PM

Fetch

Dear Heavenly father

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:16PM

certainly not ---these---

"What would Jesus Do?"

"Welcome All"

"We are hiring janitors to ease the burden on families"

"Let's hang a Rainbow Flag!"

"Because of the success of the church, tithing will now be 2%"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 08:56PM by mindlight.

Posted by: 2litl2l8 ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:18PM

Holy cow!

Dear Heavenly Father,
We thank thee,
We ask thee,
In the name of Jesus Christ....amen.

Gosh Darn it.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:18PM

In my varied churches that I have gone to...only mormons say ( or recite) " in the name of Jesus Christ Amen" after each and every prayer..

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:30PM

sweet spirit (I'm guessing no one else says it anyway)

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:33PM

You bet!

'Preciatcha

And what not . . .

The Adversary

;o)

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:53PM

And "You betcha"

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:55PM

A younger Mormon on fb said today said "Oh my word." I know that not only Mormons say it, but I'll bet most of the other's are 80 years old, not 25.

I have tried hard to Eradicate “Oh my heck” from my responses to surprise. I keeps slipping out, and it’s embarrassing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 09:24PM by DNA.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:33PM

A Marman with a scamper?

(southern Utah - translated it means "a Mormon with a Dodge pickup truck with a camper shell on it")

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:35PM

I will have to PONDER over this and get back to you if I think of any..hehe:)

Posted by: Nadamo ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:43PM

OK, OK...I've got to throw this out there. My office is all mormons except me and another gal, and we hear these words all the time. Drives us crazy!

They say:
Kit-In instead of kitten
Butt-In instead of button
Rit-In instead of written
Mount-In instead of mountain
Cot-In instead of cotton

It's almost like a child learning to speak. There's a female employee at our little local hardware store (LDS owned) who says mount-In the same way. Is this Utah speak that has drifted south?

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:54PM

Alot of these are in the Intermountain Region. I live in Idaho and hear these frequently.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 12:13AM

Reminds me of my hubby when I first met him. He used to say:
dis:this
dat: that
der: there
dem: them
Hamberg: hamburger

He's from Michigan. I'm from the pacific north west. The way he talked occasionally drove me crazy. Since we've moved west he's mended his ways. Now he calls a pickup with a camper or trailer a Rig. Ugh. I can't stand it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 01:18AM by Mia.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:47PM

The brethren have said...

Joseph was beset by mobs

The spirit moved me...

Burning in the bosom

A marvelous work and a wonder

This solemn assembly

We will go down...

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:57PM

I would be remiss....

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 09:12PM

Posted by: chimes ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 11:16PM

...bugs me when so often they really want to say "Hell" but instead think they are so spiritual they say "to Hades with him".

Posted by: waner ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 12:06AM

I hear this quite frequently in prayers:

"nourish and strengthen our bodies"

"no harm or acts will follow/happen/(I don't know, I'm not Mormon)..."

"steward (sp?)"

In the name of Cheese and Rice, Amen.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:40AM

In our area they mean "no harm or accident" but they say "No harm or ax will befall us." That always cracked me up. As someone who has attended a lot of Christian churches now, I have noticed that LDS seem to say "I KNOW" a lot more, and "the only true church." I have never been to a church outside Mormonism that believes it is the only true one.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 01:07AM

The word Even.......
Especially When mo mo's use it in prayers it bugs the shit out of me.

In the name of EVEN JC - Amen

Posted by: trufflelily ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 02:21AM

fark = fork. I think that may be mountain states accent.

grateful, grateful for. So much "grateful" it grates on me! I am from Pacific northwest. This word is like tattooing, "I am Mormon," on one's forehead

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 02:29AM

It was the strangest thing I had ever heard, so I googled it and ... that was how I found RFM.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 03:08AM

Don't forget "youth"

"In my youth"
"As a youth"

Totally another mo stamp on yer head.

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 08:42AM

Re: "nourish and strengthen our bodies"

I've witnessed family members saying this over fast food. I thought it was pretty silly.

"Flippen"

"Grateful"

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:27AM

A friend of mine does the conference talk better than a GA.

"My dear.............. brothers and sisters................I am exceedingly grateful........................for the opportunity
.....................to speak to you.....................this morning...............................blah............blah................blah............................"

. . . .with an appropriate rising and falling of the intonation and a mighty abundance of pregnant pauses.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:38AM

" If there is anything I can do for you..."

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:44AM

My two favorites, as replacements for "f**k." What does it sound like if you switched the words back from Mormy-style? Incredibly stupid:

FLIP. Seriously? "Don't worry honey - I already f**ked the pancakes!" "That Mitt Romney shore is a f**k-flopper!"

FETCH. OMG ===> ""Here Bowser, here boy! Now, F**K! Go f**k it boy! F**k that stick and bring it here!"

Please, Mormons, just say "fuck" if that's what you mean and quit making yourselves look so incredibly infantile. Next we'll be seeing grown-ups excusing themselves because they "have to go widdle-widdle."

Posted by: nonism ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:48AM

And I quote....blah blah etc etc.......close quote.

Posted by: allwhowander ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:23AM

Prompted-meaning this is what I want..."I was strongly prompted to buy a new car. The old one must have been about to break down."

This house is a house of order.

counseled-meaning told someone what to do..."She wanted a degree in theatre, but I strongly counseled her to go into early ed."

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:36AM

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 11:19AM

I always use "exceedingly ancient of days" when describing Mormonisms to people I meet who don't know what a real Mormon is.

(and in the small career college I'm attending some of the kids have added the term "Utards" to their vocabulary.)

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 11:21AM

covenants

thankful for the opportunity

bear my testimony

returned missionary

priesthood holder

fast offering

hie to Kolob

Celestial Kingdom

LDS as opposed to Mormon

tithing settlement

temple recommend

ward and stake

pioneer stock

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 11:50AM

Basic standard church talk. Change a couple of words, and it will fit ANY occasion.

I would be remiss if I didn't stand before you this day and bare my testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel of jc, even our lord and savior.

On my trip to Israel...........
I know the lord guided and protected us as he saw to our every need. Both temporal and spiritual.

As we landed i knew the lord was with me. i felt a peace come over me I had never experienced before. For the first time in my life I didn't throw up.

We expressed our great gratitude for the many blessings that were bestowed upon us each and every moment of our experience. The Lord truly reached out and touched our hearts. The room was filled with the spirit. Even the bus driver was impressed with the overwhelming sense of peace during each and every trial we had. The elements were calmed so we could proceed and have this once in a lifetime spiritual experience.

As I wrote in my journal that evening I reflected on the days events. I wanted my posterity to feel the sweet spirit that we had been so blessed with. It was due to our continued efforts throughout our lives that we were able to remain so righteous that we were able to feel the spirit and be healed.

I wondered if my ancestors who have had their work done, were surrounding us that day. Sheltering us from behind the veil that is so thin. I would like to thank the wonderful bishop. He is truly appointed by god to be father of our ward. I know he seeks and receives divine inspiration for each and everyone of us in our times of need.

I say this humbly in the name of our lord and savior, even our younger brother jesus christ who suffered for the sins of the world while in gethsemane. May he be in our hearts and souls forever in the name of jesus christ AMEN.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.