Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 03:12AM

Isnt it about time they excavated the hill. Sure if there was something to find they would have done it by now!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:05AM

...you will never find anything there because God has the power to shift time in such a way that the golden plates and Laban's sword will always be one second away from you in a parallel universe.

And to think there are people who say that religious beliefs are not delusional...

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:47PM

If God has the power to shift time, move the plates, change DNA, etc...... then how can we ever know ANYthing for sure, and how can we ever rely on any belief?

No wonder some mormons are such a mess.

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:51PM

And of course, because we're supposed to rely on faith alone, God will intentionally move or hide any evidence...Oh crap, I just realized my atheism is completely wrong! God just made it LOOK like he doesn't exist! Time to repent!

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 05:46AM

The church is quite happy for people to go and do 'needle in the haystack' excavations in south / central America but no one is allowed to dig the one area that prophets of God have specifically pointed to as pivotal to the whole BoM.

Sound a bit fishy?!

Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 09:32AM

Agree! Saw an interesting clip on youtube..the bible versus the book of mormon. They talked about Cumorah I never though about why they have not excavated it. I guess it is just too sacred for that! lol!

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:40PM

Several nominal and prominent early church members indicated that not only were the gold plates (from which the Book of Mormon was purportedly translated) buried at the Hill Cumorah, but that there was an entire cave of records and artifacts inside the hill itself. Here are a few select quotes to illustrate this incredible claim:

"I lived right in the country where the plates were found from which the Book of Mormon was translated, and I know a great many things pertaining to that country. I believe I will take the liberty to tell you of another circumstance that will be as marvelous as anything can be. This is an incident in the life of Oliver Cowdery, but he did not take the liberty of telling such things in meeting as I take. I tell these things to you, and I have a motive for doing so. I want to carry them to the ears of my brethren and sisters and to the children also, that they may grow to an understanding of some things that seem to be entirely hidden from the human family. Oliver Cowdery went with the Prophet Joseph when he deposited these plates. Joseph did not translate all of the plates; there was a portion of them sealed, which you can learn from the Book of Doctrine and Covenants. When Joseph got the plates, the angel instructed him to carry them back to the hill Cumorah, which he did. Oliver says that when Joseph and Oliver went there, the hill opened, and they walked into a cave, in which there was a large and spacious room. He says he did not think, at the time, whether they had the light of the sun or artificial light; but that it was just as light as day. They laid the plates on a table; it was a large table that stood in the room. Under this table there was a pile of plates as much as two feet high, and there were altogether in this room more plates than probably many wagon loads; they were piled up in the corners and along the walls." (Brigham Young Journal of Discourses, Vol. 19:38)

"Attended meeting a discourse from W. W. Phelps. He related a story told him by Hyrum Smith which was as follows: Joseph, Hyrum, Cowdery & Whitmere went to the hill Cormorah. As they were walking up the hill, a door opened and they walked into a room about 16 ft square. In that room was an angel and a trunk. On that trunk lay a book of Mormon & gold plates, Laban's sword, Aaron's brestplate." (William Horne Dame Diary, 14 January 1855)

"In response to a Brother Mills's statement about the handcart pioneers, Heber C. Kimball said: How does it compare with the vision that Joseph and others had, when they went into a cave in the hill Cumorah, and saw more records than ten men could carry? There were books piled up on tables, book upon book. Those records this people will yet have, if they accept of the Book of Mormon and observe its precepts, and keep the commandments." (Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, 28 September 1856)

more accounts here: http://www.mormonthink.com/book-of-mormon-problems.htm#cumorah

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 03:51PM

Yet another reason the Journal of Discourses is never mentioned in Sunday School... They'd love it if it never existed. It's a very good refutation of Mormonism. Reading it reveals quickly how bat-sh*t crazy the basis of the church is!

Posted by: breatheagain ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:50PM

they forgot to mention it all exists in an alternate universe.

Posted by: ExmorgCorp ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 03:22PM

I have heard of technology (seems kind of recent) that can show what's under the earth. For example they've been able to find whole new cities in Egypt through this technology as well as (I believe) see what's under certain parts of the ocean. I think it would be AWESOME if this technology were used on the hill Cumorrah and surrounding area to look for caves, plates, bones from the last great battle. And then have large media sources report the story internationally. It would be an epic FAIL. I realize many TBM's would still believe it but I think it would really convince those questioning mormons (who I believe are in every ward...they just don't entertain their doubts or share them with others...they only feel shame for even doubting! Sad.)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 03:37PM

does DCP tell where HE Believes the BoMormon Cumorah is/was?

seems there's a bit of disagreement or (gasp) confusion on this.

'IF' the book of mormon events took place in meso-america (as some believe/claim) Doesn't that pretty much rule out NY state?

the GAs once had one of the underlings pen a ltr saying it was in NY.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 03:46PM

I think JS was assuming that the Hill Cumorah might be an indian mound. Many were located in that area, but today geologists know that the hill is merely a drumlin; a hill of sediment pushed up as a glacier glided over it!

Posted by: laytonguy ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 03:55PM

I have this same thing several times, but most current apogologists claim that it might not be there, or that there is more than one Hill Cumorah.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:14PM

Since they found nothing, they wouldn't exactly have published it.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:21PM

My grandma lived on the land containing the Hill Cumorah when she was a girl, as part of an effort by the church to keep the property in its hands. My dad has always taught me about how they tried to dig a well, but were unsuccessful because of how hard the earth is. "The entire hill is a solid rock" my dad would say, and would still tell you today. "It makes you wonder what's underneath." He then used to tell me about the account given above by Spongebob Squaregarments

When I got older I began to wonder why the church hasn't made further attempts to penetrate the hill, given we can drill through literally anything today. That type of question isn't faith-promoting, though.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:22PM

The cave is obviously a TARDIS, and Joseph Smith was probably Dr. Who.

Watch out for the Lamanite Daleks...

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:24PM

SKINDARKENATE!

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:30PM

The church owns the property and denies anyone's attempt to dig there. Guess why? BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING THERE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.