Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PR Maverick ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:08AM

"Coltrin & Associates . . . is not only the best PR firm I've ever worked with, but the only one I will ever work with."

Mitt Romney, Former CEO, Committee for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games , excerpts from Turnaround by Mitt Romney,
Governor of Massachusetts

Wanna learn more about Coltrin? See www.coltrin.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 06, 2012 11:24AM

So Mitt didn't turn around the Olympic games singlehandedly! He used PR Consultant Steve Coltrin, but took most if not all of the the credit for it publicly.

"The Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC) which was in charge of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games hired Coltrin & Associates during the Olympic scandal, to design and implement a communication strategy that would generate revenue and renew confidence and excitement about the games. Before Coltrin & Associates joined SLOC, sponsorship levels were at an all time low. Upon completion of the Games, volunteers, ticket sales, ratings and sponsorships levels had surpassed all Olympic records."

"During the Games, Coltrin & Associates staffed and handled media relations on behalf of SLOC. More than 9,000 accredited journalists covered the Salt Lake 2002 Winter Olympic Games along with several additional non-accredited media. The coverage before, during and after the Games has been phenomenal with estimates running between 10,000 and 20,000 articles, including both national and international press. The Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Winter Games are acclaimed as the “most successful Winter Games.”

Posted by: Exmo Dad ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:35AM

Am curious. Did this firm have anything to do with the scandal in the first place (over excited to bring the Olympics to Utah, and obtaining the prostitutes, etc.) or was it strictly clean-up on aisle 1 for them? They claim they were brought in after the scandal

Date: June 06, 2012 12:07PM

It sounds like this co. was not part of the scandal. They were hired to help clean it up.

But from what I've read, it sounds like their clean-up job was made easier by 911. Yeah, that's right. The tragedy got people more patriotic and interested in helping and beefing up security, so it became easier to enlist support for the Games than it was previously, so he claims.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:46AM

A top-down kind of guy, so naturally he would take the credit. He chose the people who got the job done, and they were just minions. His campaign fired a PR consultant type who actually helped Romney with something or other to very good effect and then discussed his success with the press. Even though he could help the candidate, he was gone fast. Only Mitt gets the credit.

One question. How do you know Coltrin is of the morg? It is interesting that Romney is surrounding himself with mormons, like Former Utah Governor Leavitt.

Date: June 06, 2012 12:05PM

He's Mormon because I talked with him once many years ago.

Most of his staff back then were BYU graduates who majored in PR and who were recommended to him by a BYU prof. One of the profs I had at BYU recommended I consider working for him.

Don't know if he still hires Mormon kids but he definitely gets a lot of his clients from Mormons:

Marriott
Bain Capital
Romney/SLC Olympics
Ancestry.com
etc.

Date: June 06, 2012 03:34PM

Coltrin didn't seem like a jerk. In fact, he was genuinely nice, but then, it was only one conversation.

I think he lacks a lot of the credentials that by today's standards would be a professional in his field. Today, you need degrees in journalism or PR or accreditation, but it looks like what he's done is he's gone into business with his wife, and has hired people with PR and communications degrees and skills to do a lot of the work.

For some reason, I thought he did luxury and resort PR at one time.. but mayve I have him mixed up with someone else. Maybe he did that earlier and has since switched to other business and politics.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:53AM

at least Mittney wasn't directly involved in the scandal (?).

I don't know that the details on How Messy things were reached my cranium (outside the Moridor). Is it mentioned on Wiki?

It definately is a story that he beat the bushes (pun) for federal funding and now decries such funding for other situations. The story of him being two-faced is pretty well planted.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:06PM

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:39PM

Yes, Steve Coltrin is Mormon.
One of my sisters worked for his
Pr firm in Manhattan many years ago...

Yes. Coltrin recruits directly from byu.
Yes. He is an ass.
I think he and mittens were made for eachother.
Both are liars, prominent lds businessmen
and routinely give others the shaft.
Oh, and they both treat women the same...
they just hide their contempt for women behind
"the pedestal"
they put them on......

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 02:10PM

My then-fiancee had worked for him one week doing translation/tutoring work when he was in Europe. Coltrin was very good friends with a former NYC mission president Albert Choules who at the time was wrapping up a 5 year term as a General Authority Seventy. I met Coltrin at conference as he somehow got some good seats just as we had gotten. In fact our seats were so good that when they announced the calls of new GAs a tall German man who I had overheard talking German earlier (and later learned his surname was Uchtdorf) just sitting a few rows in front of us stood up and took a low-level red chair on the Tabernacle stand. Coltrin seemed like a genuinely nice guy. He gave me his business card and told me to look him up if I ever was interested in working in NYC. Then Choules came over and they went off somewhere. I later learned that as soon as his GA term was over that Choules went to work for Coltrin.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 02:13PM

I am really concerned over how many Mormons he is going to put in the government...I hope he doesn't surround himself with cult members if there is someone better around who is not a member. I am getting creeped out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.