Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 02:58PM

My Facebook status talks about how glad I am that Brian David Mitchell was convicted and reads, in part, "What kind of middle aged freak marries a 14 year old child as a plural wife?" A subtle dig at Joseph Smith that I am very proud I had the nerve to post, with all the TBMs on my Friends list. I figured it would go over their heads. Anyway, I read it to DH and he said "I agree." I paused and gave him that look wives give and said "Uh, you know Joseph Smith married 14 year old girls, right? You remember looking that up with me on Family Search, don't you?" and DH said "Yeah, that was creepy of Joseph Smith to do that."

And suddenly, despite the cold, rainy day where I am, I swear I saw the sun shine. Some days are just sooo good. ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 03:05PM

Here's to subtle seeds planted in TBM spouses...

Date: December 10, 2010 08:05PM

agreed with my comments about men who marry 14 year olds as plural wives. It cracks me up to think about them going to church and singing "Praise to the Man." LOL

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:31PM

The evening news tonight showed the following photo of Elizabeth Smart, at fourteen years of age:

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2002/06/05/image511240x.jpg

Her photo should be shown to every missionary, and they should be told, "Joseph Smith took two fourteen-year-old girls as plural wives. They were the same age as Elizabeth Smart was when she was kidnapped. Does this girl look old enough to be anyone's wife? Why did Brian David Mitchell choose Elizabeth, do you think? (Carefully consider her account of being raped EVERY DAY.) Why did Joseph Smith choose his two fourteen year old girls, do you think? Are these the actions of a man who is trustworthy? Are these the actions of a man who should be offering direction and moral guidance to ANYONE AT ALL?"

"Brian David Mitchell was caught, prosecuted, convicted, and jailed because the larger community was fed up with him, and understandably so. The larger community of the people of Illinois were fed up with Joseph as well. He wasn't a martyr to his beliefs. He was a despicable man, and was recognized as such by decent people."

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 03:44PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 03:49PM

That picture of Elizabeth Smart definitely makes the point.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:33PM

You and I are in similiar situations.

I'm also trying to be patient and let my dh see what a sick evil cult the mormon church is. Sounds like your hubbie is coming along nicely. Once their eyes are open, it's simply a matter of time until they see the light.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:22PM

I'm happy that your TBM spouse is at least questioning. I got a little angry this a.m. with DW ... a "why-don't-you-get-it" moment. I just need to back off I guess.

"Joe-was-a-creep" is probably the best bet for most of us with TBM spouses.

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:39PM

That would be an opportunity for some positive reinforcement. If he got a treat for every thoughtful moment, he'll do more...in theory.

Date: December 11, 2010 12:30AM

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:03AM

That is awesome! Maybe you could mention to him polyandry , ask how he would feel if JS had come to him and insisted you be his ( JS) wife as well. Wonder how he'd feel about that? Good for you!

Posted by: Screaming Nephite ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 02:41PM

Lame lame lame, Joseph received consent from Fanny Alger and both of her parents before marrying her, and she was at least 15, maybe as old as 18 when Joseph married her. If you think this is going to have my name removed from Salt Lake you better try a lot harder than this.

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 02:57PM

> If you think this is going to
> have my name removed from Salt Lake you better try
> a lot harder than this.

Helen Mar Kimball

Date: December 14, 2010 04:28PM

Wikipedia on Helen Mar Kimball: "Later in her life, however, she became a vigorous defender of the practice [of polygamy] and wrote a number of publications praising it" (Brodie 1971, pp. 479–480)

Do you think Elizabeth Smart will ever do this? Keep barking.

Date: December 14, 2010 04:33PM

There is, despite the critics' insinuations, no evidence that Helen Mar Kimball's marriage was consummated either.

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 04:36PM

Had Elizabeth Smart never escaped, had she lived her entire life among Mitchell's followers, I think it's quite plausible that she would eventually have supported his practices.

I marvel at your logic. You're really saying that, because Kimball ultimately advocated for polygamy, there wasn't anything troubling about JS seducing her as a teenager with promises of salvation for her family? All that proves is that the indoctrination took.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 04:37PM by mateo.

Date: December 14, 2010 04:39PM

Marrying Helen Mar Kimball and NOT sleeping with her was cruelty - emotional, religious, social - Not a real wife but not allowed to marry anyone else either. God said in the D&C that polygamy was ONLY to raise up seed to God so by not sleeping with Helen, Joseph Smith directly disobeyed God, committed a grievous sin and became a fallen prophet.

And, I don't give a rat's ass whether or not you remove your name from the records of the church - in fact, I hope you stay. Sounds like the perfect place for you because it's a miserable way of life.

Unless you are my husband posting anonymously, in which case I'm very impressed with your research and keep it up. You may be able to justify this one to yourself but there is so much wrong with the church, you'll hit a breaking point if you just keep studying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 04:40PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 04:02AM

http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/

Remembering the Wives

of

Joseph Smith

MISSION and PURPOSE

Acknowledge and remember these largely forgotten women

BIOGRAPHIES
PDF version (printable, saveable)
Wife
Date
Emma Hale
Fanny Alger
Lucinda Morgan Harris
Louisa Beaman
Zina Huntington Jacobs
Presendia Huntington Buell
Agnes Coolbrith
Sylvia Sessions Lyon
Mary Rollins Lightner
Patty Bartlett Sessions
Marinda Johnson Hyde
Elizabeth Davis Durfee
Sarah Kingsley Cleveland
Delcena Johnson
Eliza R. Snow
Sarah Ann Whitney
Martha McBride Knight
Ruth Vose Sayers
Flora Ann Woodworth
Emily Dow Partridge
Eliza Maria Partridge
Almera Johnson
Lucy Walker
Sarah Lawrence
Maria Lawrence
Helen Mar Kimball
Hanna Ells
Elvira Cowles Holmes
Rhoda Richards
Desdemona Fullmer
Olive Frost
Melissa Lott
Nancy Winchester
Fanny Young
Jan 1827
Apr 1841
Oct 1841
Dec 1841
Jan 1842
Feb 1842
Feb 1842
Mar 1842
Apr 1842
Jun 1842
Jun 1842
Jul 1842
Jun 1842
Jul 1842
Aug 1842
Feb 1843
Spring 1843
Mar 1843
Mar 1843
Apr 1843
May 1843
May 1843
May 1843
May 1843
Mid 1843
Jun 1843
Jun 1843
Jul 1843
Mid 1843
Sep 1843
Nov 1843
NONE
NONE
George W. Harris
NONE
Henry Jacobs
Norman Buell
NONE
Windsor Lyon
Adam Lightner
David Sessions
Orson Hyde
Jabez Durfee
John Cleveland
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
Edward Sayers
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
Jonathan Holmes
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
* Living Husband at the time of
Marriage to Joseph Smith

References

BIBLIOGRAPHY

WWW.FAMILYSEARCH.ORG (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City)

MORMON POLYGAMY: A HISTORY (Van Wagoner, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, 1989)*

MORMON ENIGMA: EMMA HALE SMITH (Newell & Avery, University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago, 1994)*

IN SACRED LONELINESS: THE PLURAL WIVES OF JOSEPH SMITH (Compton, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, 1997)*

DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City)

* Available at the Deseret Book special order desk: (800) 453-4532

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 04:02AM

http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/

Remembering the Wives

of

Joseph Smith

MISSION and PURPOSE

Acknowledge and remember these largely forgotten women

BIOGRAPHIES
PDF version (printable, saveable)
Wife
Date
Emma Hale
Fanny Alger
Lucinda Morgan Harris
Louisa Beaman
Zina Huntington Jacobs
Presendia Huntington Buell
Agnes Coolbrith
Sylvia Sessions Lyon
Mary Rollins Lightner
Patty Bartlett Sessions
Marinda Johnson Hyde
Elizabeth Davis Durfee
Sarah Kingsley Cleveland
Delcena Johnson
Eliza R. Snow
Sarah Ann Whitney
Martha McBride Knight
Ruth Vose Sayers
Flora Ann Woodworth
Emily Dow Partridge
Eliza Maria Partridge
Almera Johnson
Lucy Walker
Sarah Lawrence
Maria Lawrence
Helen Mar Kimball
Hanna Ells
Elvira Cowles Holmes
Rhoda Richards
Desdemona Fullmer
Olive Frost
Melissa Lott
Nancy Winchester
Fanny Young
Jan 1827
Apr 1841
Oct 1841
Dec 1841
Jan 1842
Feb 1842
Feb 1842
Mar 1842
Apr 1842
Jun 1842
Jun 1842
Jul 1842
Jun 1842
Jul 1842
Aug 1842
Feb 1843
Spring 1843
Mar 1843
Mar 1843
Apr 1843
May 1843
May 1843
May 1843
May 1843
Mid 1843
Jun 1843
Jun 1843
Jul 1843
Mid 1843
Sep 1843
Nov 1843
NONE
NONE
George W. Harris
NONE
Henry Jacobs
Norman Buell
NONE
Windsor Lyon
Adam Lightner
David Sessions
Orson Hyde
Jabez Durfee
John Cleveland
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
Edward Sayers
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
Jonathan Holmes
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
NONE
* Living Husband at the time of
Marriage to Joseph Smith

References

BIBLIOGRAPHY

WWW.FAMILYSEARCH.ORG (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City)

MORMON POLYGAMY: A HISTORY (Van Wagoner, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, 1989)*

MORMON ENIGMA: EMMA HALE SMITH (Newell & Avery, University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago, 1994)*

IN SACRED LONELINESS: THE PLURAL WIVES OF JOSEPH SMITH (Compton, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, 1997)*

DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City)

* Available at the Deseret Book special order desk: (800) 453-4532

Posted by: chiefluma ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 04:48AM

This really was not too hard to do on Old Joe, I been in Law Enforcement for over 15 years. We have the records to jail logs and records of the church, and his accounts with 34 women. There are witnesses and we have information about cases with sexual misconduct. And other church records but first;

During the 1830’s, Citizens are shocked at what they consider an anomaly with a church doing unspeakable crime. You have the “Danites” This was a secret police LDS hit men. You have Old Joe marrying young women. This is out of the norm to most people living at this time. They were scared of the church and wanted them out of the county. Joe wanted to be a General and was riding down Main Street with a uniform on. Old Joe wanted power and control. He wanted women and sex.

OLD JOE was a mind control freak, and a sexual predator. I really put him with David Koresh and at Waco. Joe was a dangerous man, he built a church under false content and tried to marry underage girls, underage girls at that time were 20. People hated him more and more, and I believe he got what it was coming too. People were very upset when he destroyed a printing press, and his church with the lies. What he did stating a church and destroying a press got him killed.

Date: December 15, 2010 10:25PM

Is there any evidence that they didn't want to be married to him? Isn't this kind of like Proposition 8 where those poor poor homosexuals want to get married but mean old people like you are telling them NO! How dare you say those poor poor women can't get married to Jo! It's their right to get married! Look at that big long list of women, if you were alive back then you would have taken away their rights!

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:47PM

There's a huge dis-analogy in your line of thought. There's a difference between marriage and sexual relationships between consenting adults (of whatever orientation) and marriage and sexual relationships between an adult and a minor.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:39PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.