Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:14PM

I was just watching the national news and the Elizabeth Smart/Mitchell guilty verdict was one of the top stories. They interviewed Elizabeth, Ed, and Lois. Lois took the mike and in the most annoying RS pres. voice gushed, "Doesn't she glow?"...seriously wtf???

No one outside of the mormon cult would make that kind of comment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:21PM

I've heard that phrase used to describe women who were pregnant...

Hmmm?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:38PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:31PM

and noticing how Elizabeth is still all about moving on as if nothing happened, and Lois just screams irony ("as women," "this doesn't have to happen to us"), and Ed is ridiculous as always.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/10/utah.smart.trial.verdict/?hpt=T2

I also want to know why no rape charge.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:37PM

This was a federal charge of transporting a minor across state lines to engage in sexual activity. The feds don't have rape laws...rape is a state crime.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:40PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 10:19AM

Good point....no rape charge. WHY???? Something is fishy.

Date: December 11, 2010 10:20AM

So Utah...why no rape charge?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:40AM

So they weren't prosecuting the federal government was.

I'm just wondering -- is he going to a federal prison now? Would that be better or worse than a Utah prison? Anyone know?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:57AM

honestone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So Utah...why no rape charge?Rape is a state crime and this was a federal prosecution. It isn't as if rape wasn't part of the deal.THat is pretty much what the charge of trasnsporting as minor for sex means.

Date: December 11, 2010 10:21AM

When I heard Elizabeth speak she did fine. Then I heard ED on a show and it sickened me.

Posted by: Stillanon ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:46PM

Yeah- it's a permanent glow from the klieg lights that have been bouncing off Ed's face for the past 8 years.
Either that or she got one last cojugalvisit whith her Celestrial husband.

Posted by: Law Clerk ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:45PM

She is the victim of a sex crime. Don't let your animosity towards the LDS Church bleed on to her.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 12:00PM

Stillanon Wrote:
>
> Either that or she got one last cojugalvisit whith
> her Celestrial husband.

It is absolutely revolting that you would think this was in anyway appropriate or humorous. You must be a disgusting, vile human being.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:47PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 07:56PM

I always thought it was a lady-like version of saying a woman sweats.

I closed the window half-way through Lois's speech.It was revolting and sad to see that fake smile on Elizabeth's face in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 08:01PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:04PM

Didn't mean to be "offensive." I just really am in one's face in my other persona when commenting to Trib articles. I guess I'm pretty harsh sometimes. My last comment regarding the Smart case got pulled immediately, which was a real record. And the article itself I commented on earlier (on Mitchell's guilty verdict) disappeared completely from the web site. Don't know why.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:33PM

...she had not yet started menstuating when Mitchell kidnapped her.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50632966-76/smart-viti-yes-defendant.html.csp?page=32

According to other people's accounts of her testimony, much later during her captivity, when she did start menstruating, Michell practiced the withdrawl method on her.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:52PM

...which is completely idiotic if the point was for her to be his celestial wife or whatever. Procreation is practically the primary purpose of celestial marriage, right?

That sick bastard knew what he was doing; he just tried to legitimize it with a religion he didn't really believe in. If he really bought the whole thing, he would have tried his best to impregnate her, not practiced contraception via withdrawal.

Date: December 11, 2010 10:25AM

Nobody can say what he did. And it is very unusual to not be menstruating at 14....very rare- even 13 is unusual. What a load of crap saying he used the withdrawal method. Some people believe anything they hear.

Date: December 11, 2010 12:04PM

Well, Elizabeth Smart can say what he did, and she said he used the withdrawal method once she started menstruating. He received a revelation that he was meant to pull out and climax in Wanda. It's probably because he realized that walking around with a pregnant teen, and then a baby, would cast more scrutiny on their homelessness, and thus who they were.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in0 ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 12:09PM

I wasn't and a lot of the girls in my school weren't until late 14, early 15. There really isn't a specified age. And, even girls that do earlier then that are not regular most of the time.

Date: December 11, 2010 10:23AM

I have always wondered this.....remember she was gone 9 months. Hello...it is possible.

Date: December 11, 2010 10:29AM

Also wouldn't having Elizabeth say that she didn't menstruate before being taken just put an end to speculation that she had become pregnant at some point? I say it would. But her saying it, doesn't mean it is true. The Mormon church can't look bad so I believe they would put her up to saying that. Just MY Opinion. But who knows for sure? Elizabeth knows. IF they have made her lie then her recovery will be even more difficult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 11:31AM by honestone.

Date: December 11, 2010 11:38AM

honestone Wrote:
> Also wouldn't having Elizabeth say that she didn't
> menstruate before being taken just put an end to
> speculation that she had become pregnant at some
> point? I say it would. But her saying it, doesn't
> mean it is true. The Mormon church can't look bad
> so I believe they would put her up to saying that.
> Just MY Opinion. But who knows for sure? Elizabeth
> knows. IF they have made her lie then her recovery
> will be even more difficult.

I teach girls that age and many lof them are still little girls. Others look like adults. Look at the pictures of Elizabeth prior to her kidnapping and compare them to those afterward. It is obviousshe grew a lot during those nine months

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:47AM

No, it's not unsual for a female to experience menarche after 14. There's is no concrete answer for when and why females start menstruating...There are theories about nutrition, heritage, and hormones in food.

If she wasn't getting the proper nutrition during her ordeal, she probably wouldn't experiance her menarche till later.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:34PM

It is very high praise indeed. That is what pure, sweet daughters are supposed to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 08:52PM by Adult of god.

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 12:22AM

This entire family has been through a hell the rest of us can't imagine: a kidnapped child, rape, fear that their child was dead. Must every word and action they do be criticized and dissected? It's amazing any of them are sane after all this. And all they get from this board is criticism because they're Mormon. I don't like TSCC either, but we need to separate TSCC from this family and see them as living humans with feelings who're doing the best they can.

Date: December 11, 2010 12:23AM

augiedogie Wrote:
> This entire family has been through a hell the
> rest of us can't imagine: a kidnapped child,
> rape, fear that their child was dead. Must every
> word and action they do be criticized and
> dissected? It's amazing any of them are sane
> after all this. And all they get from this board
> is criticism because they're Mormon. I don't like
> TSCC either, but we need to separate TSCC from
> this family and see them as living humans with
> feelings who're doing the best they can.

I agree. This Smart bashing just makes the bashers look petty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 12:24AM by bona dea.

Posted by: covebell ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 01:03AM

I watched the CNN piece. I saw a nervous girl who has been to hell and back and who has been incredibly brave. Bravo to her for realizing she's strong enough not to allow this to define her life or steal her future--and doing it during her teen years, when most are worried about their hair and boys. I saw a mother who has been to hell and back. But probably not all the way back. Living with the what ifs and feeling responsible for your daughter's torture and rape is not something Ms. Smart will ever truly rid herself of and that's got to be incredibly hard as a mom. But as to her comments today, can you imagine the contrast between the Elizabeth that walked into the police station 9 years ago and the Elizabeth of today? I think for her mother, she probably does "glow."

For the victims of sexual abuse, the day of the verdict is an important milestone in the healing and in reclaiming one's self, and it is a day of incredible and complex emotions. I'm new to this board and had hoped I could benefit from other's experiences and wisdom in the difficult decisions relating to one's religion. However, these posts just seem incredibly mean spirited, and it boggles my mind that this group would make jokes about this or stand in such judgment. Surely there are many, many other appropriate contexts to discuss and examine the effects of the mormon church that you do not have to resort to the unkindness exhibited in this thread . . . aren't there?

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 01:09AM

I actually think that Elizabeth IS glowing in that interview.

The man who brutalized and tortured her for months may very well be in prison until the day he dies, and will never prey on another woman/girl again.

If there is ever a time to "glow" it would be now.

Had Elizabeth not been so straightforward and honest about what happened to her, this case may not have been as cut and dry as it was. Her detailed descriptions of his behavior are a good part of the reason why he wasn't considered Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity or Mental Defect.

She may have a nutter religion, but Elizabeth aught to be proud of herself. She may have just saved another girl from going what she went through.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:55AM

I will never understand the administration of this board. Posts get deleted for so many other reasons.

Yet every couple months there are strings of Elizabeth Smart posts bashing her, blaming her for being abducted and raped, mocking how she talks, mocking how she's trying to move on, mocking her for going on a mission, questioning her complicity in not bringing down the LDS church but continuing a member, claiming she never got therapy, blaming her parents, pretending to know what her parents or therapists have told her, claiming Utah is hiding rape charges, misrepresenting that there were no rape charges and this must mean something we have to uncover, etc, etc.

I have never seen a child--let alone a child victim of rape, torture and abduction-- so viciously attached as on this board.

And anyone can access these posts online. It discredits the board and its shameful.

Date: December 11, 2010 12:04PM

Cristina Wrote:
> I will never understand the administration of this
> board. Posts get deleted for so many other
> reasons.
>
> Yet every couple months there are strings of
> Elizabeth Smart posts bashing her, blaming her for
> being abducted and raped, mocking how she talks,
> mocking how she's trying to move on, mocking her
> for going on a mission, questioning her complicity
> in not bringing down the LDS church but continuing
> a member, claiming she never got therapy, blaming
> her parents, pretending to know what her parents
> or therapists have told her, claiming Utah is
> hiding rape charges, misrepresenting that there
> were no rape charges and this must mean something
> we have to uncover, etc, etc.
>
> I have never seen a child--let alone a child
> victim of rape, torture and abduction-- so
> viciously attached as on this board.
>
> And anyone can access these posts online. It
> discredits the board and its shameful.

I totally agree. It is appalling especiallly in the cases where the posters claim to be Christian. Whatever happened to not judging and showing compassion? Jesus would be proud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 12:06PM by bona dea.

Date: December 11, 2010 12:10PM

I agree. Some of the things I read on here are shocking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.