Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 11:26PM

My brother in a SS presidency sent out this info last week for us to check out, currently in trial mode. Good news, because it's replacing manuals that have been in use since the dawn of time with their extremely outdated stories and examples, but probably bad because of its insistence on Preach My Gospel-style "figure it out for yourself" mode (trying to connect more with one's own personal/emotional experiences).

Address: https://www.lds.org/youth/learn?lang=eng

Password: youth2012

Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 11:40PM

Thanks for sharing. Those look interesting.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:04AM

What do you want to bet that statements like this one (from an Aaronic Priesthood manual currently in rotation) will magically disappear:

“'We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question' ('Marriage and Divorce,' in 1976 Devotional Speeches of the Year [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1977], p. 144)."

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=1f4fa41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=198bf4b13819d110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD

Posted by: Thetrick ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:04PM

I am willing to bet that that will remain. Life in general is hard. Marriage is hard, most of us have to work at it. Marriage can be better/easier if spouses have as much in common as possible. Yes, I know, many very different people have had wonderful marriaged, but in general, I believe this to be true.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:33PM

And that shows the brainwashing set in deep.... I was BIC and you know what, I married outside my religion (at the time), outside my race, outside my income, and outside my educational level (she had college I didn't). 13 years later, here we are.

If two people are in love and want to make it work, everyone should support them and respect their choice.

It is these thoughts, that people should marry within any set standard, that causes discrimination to persist.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 02:01PM

People have more things in common than what you say are important, such as similar life experiences, similar personal interests/hobbies, similar personalities. Those fsctors are just as important, or probably more so.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 03:36AM

Sure that's true - a common background is helpful. Why does the color of your skin matter?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 03:45AM

They will just change it to this:

“'We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally*, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question' ('Marriage and Divorce,' in 1976 Devotional Speeches of the Year [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1977], p. 144)."

*Unless you are a introvert and never had much luck with girls and are sent to a 3rd world country on your mission. In that case, by all means, bring one of them home with you to marry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2012 03:45AM by bc.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:40PM

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this. Wow, my oldest son just blew it big time!! He's as ginger as they come, white, freckles, and bright orange hair. He married someone (a convert) from a Catholic family who is 1/2 Mexican. Yikes!

By the way, we love her!! Now to teach them the truth, and try to undo all we've taught him for nearly 22 years.

Posted by: ex missionary ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:20AM

Perhaps most interesting, it provides a list of basic doctrines.
https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/guidebook/doctrinal?lang=eng

1. Godhead
2. Plan of Salvation
3. Atonement of Jesus Christ
4. Dispensation, Apostacy, and Restoration
5. Prophets and Revelation
6. Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
7. Ordinances and Covenants
8. Marriage and Family
9. Commandments

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:03AM

ex missionary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps most interesting, it provides a list of basic doctrines.
https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/guidebook/doctrinal?lang=eng
>
>
> 1. Godhead
> 2. Plan of Salvation
> 3. Atonement of Jesus Christ
> 4. Dispensation, Apostacy, and Restoration
> 5. Prophets and Revelation
> 6. Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
> 7. Ordinances and Covenants
> 8. Marriage and Family
> 9. Commandments

Please compare that with what Jesus said, in 3 Nephi 11:31-40, where he said that his doctrine was 1. faith, 2. repentance, and 3. baptism, and that anybody who declared MORE or LESS than that as doctrine "cometh of evil" and will go to hell.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 02:40PM

What happened to 'Exaltation'? Too weird?

Date: June 29, 2012 10:07AM

What interested me was the graphic design--I know that on the web people need to have a "presence" and a unified look, but the intro page just looks so much like a product, like they're introducing something brand new--the colors, the shapes, the general presentation looks so slick. How could you NOT be excited about it? (But, as with most church things, it's more of the same wrapped in new packaging).

Date: June 29, 2012 10:15AM

This just made me think of Damon Smith's podcast on Mormon Stories--how in correlation they had whittled down the doctrine to 75 (was it 75?) crucial points and concepts. Now they've got it down to 9. I'm surprised Tithing is not listed as one of the principles, although I can see how it would fit in under "Covenants" or "Commandments".

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:32AM

I tried really hard to get the outdated, bizarre crap out of the YM manuals way back in 1993-94, and I edited out a lot. But the Curriculum Department insisted on reprinting the old stuff, and they actually made me put stuff back in!

Posted by: gnosticguru ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 01:55PM

The first thing I noticed was a minority presence--less "white and delightsome" and more colors! More PC!

I also noticed the fear-mongering so prevelant in the church: "They (The Brethren/CEO's) give us instruction, WARNINGS, and counsel from the Lord for our day. We are blessed with SAFETY, peace and spiritual strength when we listen and OBEY their counsel...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 02:08PM by gnosticguru.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 02:07PM

was the YL/YW who's picture adorns the opening page a PAID model, or a 'volunteer' (hoping for a later, paid career)?

Yes, she's attractive, but.... are her smiley, perfect teeth/grin a part of the gospel / way to attract attention?

wouldn't building a Habitat House, participating in some other outside charity (heifer) have been More to the Point?

I know, I know.
those are only 'Missionary Activities', not within the scope of the 'real gospel'

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 04:15PM

I think the leadership wants everyone focused on the very basics -I mean they spent two years in priesthood and RS teaching from "Gospel Principles".

They (the 15) know they're losing control and the best way to regain control is to provide a simple, easily identifiable foundation, against which the members can judge when someone is going to far afield from the lard's one true gospel. At least, the 2012 version of the one true gospel.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 07:06PM

why is there a password? is it just because it is in trial mode or do they not want joe shmoe investigator privy to the secret youth brainwashing?

Posted by: 11107KAD ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 10:50AM

Dallin A. Chokes Wrote:
> My brother in a SS presidency sent out this info
> last week for us to check out, currently in trial
> mode. Good news, because it's replacing manuals
> that have been in use since the dawn of time with
> their extremely outdated stories and examples, but
> probably bad because of its insistence on Preach
> My Gospel-style "figure it out for yourself" mode
> (trying to connect more with one's own
> personal/emotional experiences).
>
> Address: https://www.lds.org/youth/learn?lang=eng
>
> Password: youth2012
>
> Enjoy!

Posted by: 11107KAD ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 10:55AM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 03:27AM

Most of us are loving parents, children, spouses, and relatives of victims who are trapped in the Mormon cult. We feel a responsibility to do whatever it takes to rescue our loved ones. Some of us are forced to work with mormons, and live alongside them as neighbors. My daughter married a Mormon, but the rest of my children are happy, successful Christians. At the same time, we are under attack by Mormons like Frothmophen. Believe me, we know what it is like to be harassed by Mormons knocking on our front door in two's and three's late at night, Mormons threatening us that God will withdraw His blessings from us, Mormons stalking our children, Mormons baptizing our dead. For a tiny group of .02% of the population, Mormons are way too pushy and obnoxious, and it is they who will not leave us alone. We need to know the enemy who is trying to steal our families from us.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 03:36AM

A pretty girl says, "Come follow me." They are really concentrating on the young men, aren't they.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 04:49AM

Not sure if this was posted here previously, but there is an interesting side-by-side comparative analysis of the YM/YW lessons that are to be taught beginning in 2013, so I'm sure it's referring to the same manuals.

It's entitled, "Why Language Matters: A Side-by-Side Look at a Lesson from the New YW/YM Manuals" and can be found here:
http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/2012/10/manuals/

The differences speak volumes about TheBrethren's view of women.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 09:07AM

I am assuming in each example given, the pencil is the man and the paper is the woman (n her lesson manual); the hammer is the man and the nail is the woman (in his lesson manual).

So, the paper sits still and gets defaced; the nail sits still and gets hammered.

That's all you need to read and understand about the "new" lesson being taught to LDS youth, IMO.

Posted by: Anoned ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 09:27AM

Who writes these manuals?

Posted by: safetyforthesoul ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 09:37AM

Titles for the Dec lessons... For YW, 'bulding up the Church' for the YM, 'building up the kingdom of God.' Hhhmmmm.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 09:55AM

So wait - does this mean you are allowed to bring personal experiences back in to suplememnt the lessons?

Or does SLC still insist on no variations from the manual - in which case they might as well have a monkey stand up in front and mouth the lessons.

Posted by: dec ( )
Date: November 12, 2012 01:47PM

RPackham Wrote:
> ex missionary Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Perhaps most interesting, it provides a list of
> basic doctrines.
> https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/guidebook/doctrina
> l?lang=eng
> >
> >
> > 1. Godhead
> > 2. Plan of Salvation
> > 3. Atonement of Jesus Christ
> > 4. Dispensation, Apostacy, and Restoration
> > 5. Prophets and Revelation
> > 6. Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
> > 7. Ordinances and Covenants
> > 8. Marriage and Family
> > 9. Commandments
>
> Please compare that with what Jesus said, in 3
> Nephi 11:31-40, where he said that his doctrine
> was 1. faith, 2. repentance, and 3. baptism, and
> that anybody who declared MORE or LESS than that
> as doctrine "cometh of evil" and will go to hell.

yeah, Smith didn't have all the other doctrines quite worked out at the time of composing the Book of Mormon, which explains the BoM's simplicity.

Now they've established all kinds of intricate webs to entangle (program) the minds of members.

Notice that their list of "basic" doctrines appeal to ego and emotion - attainment and participating in a club which pulls the emotional triggers through ego attainment.

Let's look at these "basic" doctrines:

1. Godhead
umm, confusing as Smith's original definitions have been changed.

2. Plan of Salvation
That would mean the doctrine whereby people are sealed together in temple rituals, which program through the fear of not being together forever and thereby often/usually omit the most basic doctrine which should be love and forebearance, kindness to their family which should entail finding ways to enjoy each others company without dragging the selfish fear of lack of salvation into the relationship.
Their plan of salvation is one of the most selfish acts, which my definition of mormon salvation is counter to love; and this mormon plan echoes the song at this moment, Where is the love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZVxjH04aIY
They do this in the name of God and truth, but there is no love binding families - only a root of fear.

*my personal goal at this time is to be in a more conscious state of love and kindness in my interactions while standing true to expose it -- the DEC-expositor; and this is no easy challenge in the face of such doctrines....especially when I have a slightly sarcastic sense of humor.*

3. Atonement of Jesus Christ
which only works properly if you're a practising mormon, hence the need to send out missionaries to baptize as many as they can. During your baptismal covenants you have to covenant to pay over 10% of your income to appreciate this atonement, making the corporation very rich indeed.

4. Dispensation, Apostacy, and Restoration
a doctrine which was concocted to appeal to the mormon sense of entitlement and specialness which is a basic ego doctrine. I think that this particular decade has seen more restoration toward truth behind the mormon deception than Smith's so-called restoration period, which was actually a movement to lead people into deception and rigid rule rather than leading them out of it.

5. Prophets and Revelation
What do the prophets reveal except for empty babble and conflicting doctrinal information with each other.... sicking the apologetic hounds of the Maxwell Institute on questioners hoping they will be able to hide behind these cover-ups so they can remain blameless.

6. Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
a doctrine which came after the Book of Mormon, which is interesting that the bom didn't describe this priesthood in detail since it is allegedly the most correct book on earth.
Priesthood.... which is an appeal to ego as an emotional trigger, and which doesn't provide any real power as preached. If the leaders can impress enough men to literally wet themselves with the orgasmic thought of the priesthood held by an apostle or prophet, then they have sufficient emotional ego triggers to keep them staying in to either attain or bask in the glory of one who has. Unfortunately the apostles and prophets conflict in doctrinal detail and lead the members in a deceptive fraud in the name of God. Those who don't have sufficient ego to be emotionally impressed are appealed by a fear and hope sequence to believe the priesthood has any useful abilities.

7. Ordinances and Covenants
a doctrine which came after the BoM and appeals again to the ego and the emotional trigger to *get* something....leading us back to doctrine number 2 and 6.

8. Marriage and Family
a fairly generic and international concept however the mormons enmesh the practice of mormon doctrinal obedience with this doctrine of marriage,rather than incorporating love and kindness as a root base - therefor many people (myself included) lost a never-mo family member due to the doctrine of exclusion rather than inclusion through love. It is a doctrine of exclusion out of fear and fear is not love in this instance.

9. Commandments
yeah,
based on the premise of obedience and fear instead of being based on finding out what is good/ethical, and then to act out of an inward interest in aligning oneself with loving ethics.
I have discovered that obedience to commandments never was love, but it provides people with very little ability or tools to introspect ethics; instead, needing someone to guilt or fear them with a commandment....that is, providing the commandment is one of integrity in the first place; which loops us back to basic doctrine 2, 5, 6 and 7.

A formula for programming submissive/obedient yes people, and then incorporating a temple ritual which demands that the member actually bow their head and say *yes*.
With this kind of program they can get you to believe and do anything in the name of doctrine 1...Godhead. And they do get their members to believe anything in the name of God and Truth no less.

so sad. It is something that deserves exposing to the public in caring and concern.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2012 02:00PM by dec.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.