Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:24AM

We have a no soliciting sign posted at the only entrance of our very large condominium complex. The mormon church continues to post meeting schedules primary parties many types of religious materials on our doors. I've notified the primary president, as state president, and the bishop. They been clearly instructed that they are trespassing and they know mormon missionaries or postings are not allowed with a no solicitation sign. All of them have been rude and crude mean and said they're going to do exactly what they want to do and our sign has no legal effect. I contacted the city Atty. The police department in a city prosecutors department. Found a Supreme Court ruling and decision that indicates this solicitation signs prohibit any individual from soliciting if the sign is posted. It would ba class C misdemeanor. I sent the information especially the Supreme Court decision two that church. I threatened to sue the state president, and they have been very quiet. It amazes me the stupidity and holier than thou attitude of this organization. I'll keep you posted, I think I'm going to win this one after the Supreme Court decision was mailed to them, I haven't seen him since and a bishop and I had an extremely direct conversation, in which I took my children, to a meeting with him, and after I told him we wanted nothing to do with the mormon church and we did not believe it was true, he stood up and began to point his finger at me to give me a fatherly scolding. I picked my children up immediately got face to face with them and simply said, you have no authority over me or my family, I will see you in court.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:49AM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:34AM

I am with you. We have 350 homes in our complex. All street entrances have signs saying no soliciting and printed materials are not to be left at the door.

It just advertises that one is not home for the bad guys when you come home from vacation with all kinds of ads taped to your door.

The morMon wards are the worst at ignoring this. There is never a phone # I can call to rip them a new one. Worst of all is the deception that we are having a neighborhood party when really it is ward sponsored to try and sign up more dumb $%@&s.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:45AM

Are they using community facilities such as your club house? Or are the functions held at the ward/chapel? Or do they just give an address without revealing it's at an LDS church?

I understand that in Utah, posting ward activity notices around the neighborhood has been done for years to save $$$, but I thought it mostly happened in single family home areas without homeowner association controls. You may be in a better position to control what is happening if your HOA restricts soliciting and if the officers are prepared to enforce it.

Note: we do have a regulation about no lawn signs. Sometimes people will put up a sign on election day to support someone or something, but normally one didn't see any signs. But this year, some people who attend an evangelical megachurch in the area posted lawn signs advertising their church's Easter services about four weeks before Easter. I and others complained to HOA, given that we already had a "no signs" rule, and the owner had to remove them. There were also some folks on the street with Yes on Eight signs for four or five days before the election---their signs were delayed about a month due to a mix up at the printers. The election was over and the signs were down before HOA could take any action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 11:48AM by PtLoma.

Date: September 17, 2010 12:12PM

They are using community facilities because of members in here. They did not used to say it was a ward putting the party on for the 'community'. Now it says it in very fine print.

Once again, they have no boundaries, do not care what the community wants as far as their notices on our doors and they are deceptive.

Date: September 17, 2010 01:32PM

Hmmm....again, you might want to peruse the Rules and Regs of your HOA. There may be restrictions as to the types of functions one may host at a club house. Ours prohibit use of common facilities by groups of more than I think 30-35 persons, which means you could have a large birthday party for someone, but you wouldn't be able to host a party for 200 from your church. I don't believe we have restrictions on the type of function (i.e. personal use vs. use by an organization of which the homeowner is a member), but our numerical limit is in place because both club houses are adjacent to community pools. Allowing 200 people at a function would render the area unusable for those who just wanted to use the pool.

You could push the legal issue with the officers, since they are not upholding the rules on a preferential basis, but when you get an HOA board mad at you, they can make life hell for you.

Date: September 17, 2010 11:37AM

Since you mentioned you are in a condominium complex, you might want to examine a copy of the Homeowners Rules and Regulations to see what the community's rules are for soliciting. Although the Homeowner Assn officers may be LDS too, they have a fudiciary responsibility to uphold the rules and regulations. Communities governed by a homeowner association may forbid soliciting where it would be allowed on a street of single family homes not governed by a Homeowner Association.

Where I live (single family homes but we have a Homeowner Assn with LOTS of rules/regs) it is not illegal to solicit so we get occasional visits from JWs, and from Mormons maybe once a year at most. They seem very demoralized because no one is interested in their religion. JWs are more instrusive (bringing their kids along, etc.). With the LDS missionaries, I offer them some water and some snacks, and do not debate religion unless they start it.

Date: September 17, 2010 12:15PM

Our signs say no soliciting or ads. Our officers are morMon for the most part and they do no see ward ads, boy scout soliciting or Eagle scout projects begging for $$ as a problem.

Always a double standard along the corridor.

Posted by: Emanon ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 09:10PM

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:07PM

Just got a letter today from the Bountful City Atty.. In short he is siding with the mormon church and says is my problem. I am emailing him as of this moment, to see it he wants to be sued in Federal Court in enjoying with more than church and the homeowners association. I think he may want talk a little bit next week on his written decision. I thinking maybe he is a member of the stake. I have had some very excellent advice IE above

Posted by: monomo ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:37AM

the morman church is going to do what they want to and only thing you can do is hire the carthage grays to come take care of the problem monomo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.