Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 10:23PM

What is your definition of a TBM? It seems like there might be vast disparity on people's beliefs on what they are. For example some posters will claim you can't change a TBM's mind. They will NEVER leave Mormonism. While others, such as myself, considered themselves TBM's at one time, but were able to see the light and leave.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 02:12AM

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 03:07AM

"It's true and nothing will change my mind. Anything negative will only cause my testimony to strengthen."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 03:29AM

So TBMs can change their minds. But they have to be willing to listen and think. They won't change their mind unless or until they're ready meaning they're at a crossroads and are open to change.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 08:45AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So TBMs can change their minds. But they have to
> be willing to listen and think. They won't change
> their mind unless or until they're ready meaning
> they're at a crossroads and are open to change.

Exactly. Many of us were TBMs, in that no matter what negative information came our way, we believed and nothing was going to change our minds. Nothing penetrated that testimony armour.

But circumstances in our lives can prepare us to be open and ready to receive information that we might have dismissed in the past. Then you're on the road to no longer being a TBM.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 11:27AM

There are TBM's that know a lot, but they think nothing can damage their testimony. They become amateur apologists and nothing changes until some circumstance causes them to start sincere questioning. I think these are the minority.

I'd say that most TBM's are ignorant. They think nothing can damage their testimony because they know nothing of the mountain of damaging information that's out there. They think people admire them and only speak negatively about Mormons because they don't share the same beliefs. They may believe just as strongly as the first group, but the truth can set this group free in a day. These are the brainwashed dupes, but the're typically stronger and more honest than the apologist group...they can admit that they were wrong.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 11:32AM

Chump Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are TBM's that know a lot, but they think
> nothing can damage their testimony. They become
> amateur apologists and nothing changes until some
> circumstance causes them to start sincere
> questioning. I think these are the minority.
>
> I'd say that most TBM's are ignorant. They think
> nothing can damage their testimony because they
> know nothing of the mountain of damaging
> information that's out there. They think people
> admire them and only speak negatively about
> Mormons because they don't share the same beliefs.
> They may believe just as strongly as the first
> group, but the truth can set this group free in a
> day. These are the brainwashed dupes, but the're
> typically stronger and more honest than the
> apologist group...they can admit that they were
> wrong.

This was me^^^ I was entirely ignorant of just about everything.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 04:48AM

I'll have a crack at that-- how about someone who has been shown Mormon-sourced proof, agrees with the conflict/lies/impossibility and continues to say "Still, I believe the church is what it claims to be..."

(which is another one of their weasling plausible-deniability public relation firm answers)

Anagrammy
(don't know why that particular answer pisses me off so much)

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 10:05AM

I have one daughter that I refer as a Nazi mormon to my friends. I mean she and her hubby are sooooo TBM it frightens me. If the profit asked them to kill their first born son, or any of their children, I have no doubt they would do it. It is scary, honestly, how deeply they are indoctrinated, just more proof of serious cult tactics. I do realize not all mo's are this deep into it. Thank goodness- my other 4 kids are far more relaxed about it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 10:22AM by think4u.

Posted by: fedup ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:05PM

It hard to believe you would say that about your own kid, TBM or not.

Posted by: Michael E. ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 09:21PM

True Christians don't spend their time putting down other Christians but follow the Savior by doing good. The Bible said in no uncertain words that if you can't cay anything good about someone don't say anything at all.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 10:14PM

Michael, I'm a Christian, and I think the "don't say anything bad" is usually appropriate and wise. But sometimes you have to "speak the truth in love," obnoxious or painful as that may be. Even meek Jesus threw over the money changers' tables and cast a long, insulting invective of "woes" on the Pharisees, including, "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?" (Matthew 23).

Even so, it doesn't appear that many Pharisees got convicted of their transgressions. (Joseph of Aramathea and Nichodemus being two notable exceptions.)

We believers are rather outnumbered on this board, Michael. I try to answer responsibly and Biblically.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 08:40AM

Caffiend, Thanks.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 10:07AM

True Blue Mormon

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 10:47AM

I'd lump all TBM's into a category of people who really believe the whole JS story and think that it's Jesus' only church, and they give a good effort at playing by the rules. They would feel a lot of guilt when they don't play by the rules.

I think that they can be further broken down into Robert Kirby's Five Kinds Of Mormons list. Liberal, Genuine, Conservative, Orthodox, and Nazi.

I call myself (When I did believe) a TBMish. I believed, and tried and tried to live it, but it was just too hard. I did it to try to stay out of hell, but didn't like it. I thought I had to do it, but didn't want to do it.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 12:36PM

My definition for "TBM" is...Truly Brainwashed Mormons!!

You can't change a brainwashed Mo's mind, but you can help them start to snap out of the brainwashing with cognitive dissonance. The biggest way to confuse a TBM is to show them that life as an exmo isn't what we were always taught it would be. Personally, DH and I are in a better position than ever before, money, happiness, closer relationships with our children, love, friendships, etc. (Definitely not listed in order of importance)

This is a direct contradiction to what is taught about falling away.

Also, help your Mo friends and family with their brainwash-breaking progression with this: Anytime you hear them complain about anything church related like: meetings they have to attend, the battles of keeping their kids quiet during SM, having to leave their inept 10 yr old in charge of their 1 yr old because the YW President says, "It's too disrupting to the spirit when you bring your children to tuesday night activities" yet there are no babysitters to call because they are all attending said tuesday night activity, you can say to them, "Some plan of happiness, huh? And I thought this was a family centered church."

Cog-Dis, Baby!!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 03:19PM

I think of my husband as a TBM and he never goes to church. I will tell you why. No matter what evidence is thrown at him he refuses to believe it. He believes the church is true 100% no questions asked, no reasoning with him on anything. He will die believing it's the only true church on the face of the earth, he believes I am going to outer darkness because I knew the truth and rejected it. He doesn't have the discipline to follow it, but he will never deny it or question it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 04:13PM

Not that there aren't more than just a few Mormons who are deluded.

Date: December 15, 2010 12:27AM

Then I need a good name for him. What is he?

Posted by: Just wow ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 04:19PM

TBM - someone who suspends disbelief all day every day usually because some gullible great grandparent walked from Illinois to Utah.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 04:22PM

That is their behavior, no matter what they believe, no matter what they say.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:30AM

I like the definition created by Eric Hoffer who coined "True Believer." My definition of the True Believer Mormon would echo his, those who participate in mass movements "to escape a flawed self by creating an imaginary self and joining a collective whole." True Believers sacrifice the self for the group doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer

Date: December 15, 2010 08:01AM

That is soooo good! Another little tid bit for me to tuck away and use at opportune times.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:21AM

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 10:30AM by Comfortably Numb.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 09:34PM

I have described my folks as being TBM and mom, as a convert was probably closer than dad...he was a pretty mellow guy, never lorded his religion over others and in fact he and mom had a huge friendship circle outside the church...plus they never behaved like the asshole TBM's I read about her towards their sons and non member friends and family.

RB

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 09:51PM

suckafoo - why doesn't your hubby go to the cult on Sundays if it is so speshul?
My cousin hasn't gone for years and yet she is a TBM too. I am working on her because I don't want her to die in the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 09:51PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 11:13AM

A TBM is anyone who takes the religion seriously. If you pay tithing, attend meetings regularly, and feel guilty for not completing the litany of shoulds and shouldn'ts the church gives you, then you are a TBM. If you feel guilty for not doing those, then you are TBM.

There are lots of active members who are not TBMs, and a handful of inactives who still take it seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 11:13AM by axeldc.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 11:35AM

TBM is someone with their head up the prophet's 'arse.' When they pull it out they become exmormon.

Their head can be up there for a variety of reasons. Some have enough info and just choose to keep in in there. Others had no idea there was any other reality.

I feel that I finally gained enough worldly experience to start having thoughts like:
"Are these butt cheeks I am feeling?"
"I can't believe this but I just might have my head up someone's 'arse.'"

POP--an exmormon is born.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 12:41PM

No one can force a mind to change that's inside someone else's head.

TBMs change if and when they're ready. Sometimes they have a shelf full of questions and doubts and they are open to questioning.

Often they never change no matter who tries to tell them the truth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.