Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:55AM

Is there a confirmation in the house?

Interestingly enough, a recent Google search reportedly indicates that his name, while still accessible in certain limited quarters, appears to have become noticeably scarce.

Morever, an under-the-radar search of the MAD site reportedly indicates that there are some older DCP posts still there, but that his most recent one was in early November.

Could this mean that the Mormon Church is turning its back on Peterson like it did on polygamy--or is he simply recharging his batteries while having them touched by the finger of the Lord, Jaredite barge-style?

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:09PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:58AM

No confirmation here but I wouldn't be surprised. Total and utter nonsense

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:51AM

And I didn't see any of his posts. Of course like the NASA missions to the moon where they might not have looked in the right place for the Moon Quakers, I might've missed some...

I just asked someone who's registered over there to look in more detail...

MA&D was down for a few days, with the mods insisting it was just to revise their format, etc. They were denying it had anything to do with Peterson testifying at the Mitchell/Smart kidnapping trial...

There were only 11 pages of threads, however, and I couldn't help but thinking of Mark Twain's claim about what would happen if the phrase "It came to pass" were removed from the Book of Mormon...

Without Peterson's contributions, MA&D was reduced to a mere pamphlet...

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:07AM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 07:15AM

But to stay on topic, I imagine that they need to remove his writings, lest the defense use them to discredit him for the appeals process.

Surely the words of DCP would derail the hearings since he would be shown to be as whacked as Smarts kidnapper.

Although I am surprised they didn't call him on his posts before he was allowed to testify.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 08:57AM

There never was a Daniel C Peterson. You can go about your business... move along... move along....

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 09:23AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:05AM

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:07AM

There are plenty of posts that have been purged and not archived over at MA&D-- not just from DCP. And there are plenty of posts of his that have not been purged and have been archived.

True he hasn't been posting in a while, but I wouldn't read into that. Every time anyone gets excited about a noticeable absence from MA&D on his part, he gets all excited to point out that his critics are obsessive and insane and that he's just been away on important academic business in exotic places.

He seems to get off on knowing that people pay attention. Which is why I try not to-- though it is very hard. His arrogance is bizarre, yet addictive. If he's that way in person, he really should get on a reality show. I'd watch that.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:04AM

Okay, I know it's a stretch, but what if he did come out as a new apostate. I for one would love to hear him admit he was wrong pubically but would he be accepted here?

Posted by: me ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:24AM

If he were truly apostate, he would probably not post here under his own name. Out of an attitude of total humiliation, as well as not wanting to be attacked.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:40AM

I'd prefer to have him quietly go away and disappear into oblivion.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:23PM

dont want to see the giant slug turn up at an Ex mo event!

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:53AM

Apologetics interferes with eating.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 12:26PM

The fullness of the rumor is that he isn't going to be on the boards anymore making a fool of himself because some apostle came down on him about being too much of a known spokesman for the church. He made the fatal mistake of embarrassing them.

It isn't just the Mitchell trial, it's all the other stuff he does and says as an apologist.

While MAD says they are loosing their history for technical reasons, the rumor did start before they went down.

Date: December 15, 2010 12:27PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 12:59PM

Credible in that so the speculation goes, yes.

Credible in that DCP was actually told to stifle it by Mormon leadership? Not confirmed (and could it be unless DCP spilled?)

I have other comments, as I've seen this unfold, but my post is stuck in spirit prison, awaiting release by some kind Admin somewhere, sometime, for reasons that escape me.

Bottom line is there is a lot of speculation but not much fact, as far as I have seen. Some interesting events came to pass, indeed, but perhaps the timing was coincidental. Or not.

For now, rumours abound. And threads disappear, from at least two boards, one mo, one exmo. Perhaps someone with more prophetic ability than I captured them before they were nuked. A review of those could at least lay out the rumours, speculations, facts, if any, and the timeline.

It's definitely an interesting turn of events in the mo/exmo world of apologetics and counter-apologetics.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:42PM

There are web archives out there than should have copies of madd.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 01:10PM

DCP was called as an expert witness in the Smart/Mitchell trial. He and others discussed it on the MAD board a few months back. My understanding of what DCP explained was that he was asked to comment on the "revelations" Mitchell supposedly had and whether that was consistent with LDS doctrine or not. My impression was that his area of expertise was strictly defined and narrowly focused. (Of course, my understanding and recollection may not be 100% accurate, especially as some time has gone by and my recall isn't 100%).

This matter was also discussed on at least one exmo board I know of, as well as here, but not in any depth that I recall.

As the trial approached and certainly once it was underway, some posters on various boards raised the issue of the wisdom of discussing a current trial and especially specific testimony not yet presented, as well as the advisability of a scheduled witness being involved in the discussion, or even being under discussion himself regarding specifics of his testimony.

I am somewhat guessing now but perhaps the witness himself, DCP, as well as Admin at the various sites, had second thoughts about this public discussion and speculation, as well as about airing the often contentious commentary between apologists and critics (or mos and anti-mos if you prefer - I don't particularly care for the labels 'anti' or 'critic' but that's the parlance that's used).

As the time came for DCP to testify, it seems that an abundance of caution took hold (never a bad idea). Discussion of the matter was discouraged (on the two main boards I read beside this one, one MAD, one another exmo site), I don't know about elsewhere).

In what may have been a coincidence (although a massive one, if so) the MAD board completely closed down in the same time period as DCP was testifying at the trial. The reason given was that Admin there was doing maintenance and taking time to discuss changes to the board.

Around the same time, a thread at the other exmo board discussing DCP, his role as expert witness, and his apologetics body of work was deleted (put on ice?), with the explanation from the head mod there that some of the comments could be legally problematic for the board owner (personal comments against DCP made by detractors as well as specific remarks about the testimony, DCP's status as an expert witness, and other trial details, including much speculation).

Another aspect was that in and around this time DCP announced he was leaving the message board scene (including MAD) as he was "sick of it" (the constant turmoil around him and his postings, on various boards, as I understood it). Ironically, it seemed to be comments by one of his fellow MAD posters that turned the tide for DCP and he had finally had enough, as he said.

Regarding MAD's shut-down, I think it lasted about a week and when it came back people started saying they couldn't find many DCP posts. Speculation during the closure and after the board's return was that the MAD mods were expunging DCP's posts to protect his status as an expert witness, etc (given some of his exchanges with critics, etc, as well as the recent speculative posts about the trial itself).

A current post by one of MAD's admins explains that they are upgrading their software (a somewhat frequent occurrence there, I have observed, so not unusual in itself) and so want the "database to be lean" for a switchover to new ware. It would appear that they are "archiving" many of the past threads as part of this endeavour. I think they have also done that in the past. As to whether the archive is available to view, that I do not know. It would make sense that they would save their past threads rather than expunge nearly their entire board history, as they have some major discussion threads that are of timeless importance and great interest and import to people on all sides of issues about Mormonism (eg: students, scholars, experts, writers, historians - mo, exmo, non-mo, members, etc).

I just did a search on DCP posts at the MAD board. Only 36 results showed up. That is what I call "lean"! DCP can make 36 replies in one thread! It is well known that he has written thousands of posts at MAD over the years. Perhaps his more substantive work will be preserved in MAD's archives.

I'd say the matter is inconclusive at the moment. It remains to be seen whether the MAD board will be upgraded (new software?), whether the archives will be open to view (and what is stored therein) and whether DCP will change his stance and return to posting on MAD and/or other discussion boards.

So ends this segment of As the (MAD MAD) World Turns.

(And despite possible appearances to the contrary, yes, I do have a life outside the boards!) :)

(All the edits here pertain to tech difficulties I was having. I'm not OC, I'm not!)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:14PM by Nightingale.

Date: December 15, 2010 02:19PM

He wanted to make a bet about another thread and was right (I wasn't going to take that one), and now I want to make a bet on how long Peterson is absent from MA&D...

I want the "under six weeks" spread, but that kind of makes me a chicken. I should really go for less than a month...

Date: December 15, 2010 04:25PM

The stakes? How about a reasonable dinner or a long cab ride, locale to be determined at a later time...

Yeah, my source tells me November 9th was the date of his last posting, but he had the trial to meet his "limelight needs," and the glow of that will fade at some point...

BTW, I'm going to insist it counts if he shows up on "ldsfreedomforum.com." Somebody else will have to monitor that free standing nuthouse, however...

I ain't going near it...

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 06:20PM

Hmm! Warren Jeffs' conviction was overturned due to some sort of technicality at a Utah Court.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 10:47PM

Let's see him weasel out of the fact that he fathered a child on a 14 (or was it 15) year old girl.

But this seems a tad off topic for this thread. Is it connected somehow?

Date: December 15, 2010 01:12PM

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:38PM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 06:01PM

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 04:10PM

Deny deny deny. (spoken in Gomer Pyle voice)

Posted by: Daniel Peterson ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:50PM

As hard as this is to do, I will finally swallow my pride and admit that you are all correct. After many years of proudly defending the LDS church, I can no longer do it in good conscience, as I have learned of indisputable evidence that the Church was founded on lies and deceit, and to some degree, continues on today. I have decided to separate myself from the Church, and as you can all tell, they are quickly distancing themselves from me. This has been an incredibly difficult experience, but I look forward to healing my soul as I begin to open my eyes and embrace this new truth, a truth that all of you have known, but one that is still new to me.

Well, a guy can dream can't he? Wouldn't it be nice if it were true? :-)

SearchingTruth

Date: December 15, 2010 06:21PM

I'll gladly permit him to use it if he ever does show up...

It's either that or my favorite for-humorous-purposes-only sockpupper, "One Might and Strange."

I'll insist, though, on being present at a lunch where he makes amends to Tal Bachman before I sign over the rights...

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 06:24PM

They opened a new Krispy Kreme in Utah County

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.