Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 12:42PM

A wayward Mormon friend of mine recently brought this bit of boot-lickin' boogie to my attention.

He said he was struck by (compared to Monson's sing-songy Conference talks) how distant Monson appeared when approached during this "don't-rise-and shout, just "sit-and-shine" moment. You decide but it does look like Monson's kinda going through the motions of magnetizing with the masses. (Hey, he's on his way to dedicate another cash-cow temple. Step aside, please, and whatever you do, don't step on my brown suede shoes).

When asked by an on-scene TV reporter how often he gets his shoes primed for prime time, Monson replied, "When I don't do 'em myself." Which means probably all the time. (In this particular instance, Monson got three sets done).

The shoe shiner says that he's struck up a friendship with Monson over shoes over the years and enjoys listening to his stories, as well as hearing what's on Monson's mind. (Maybe it beats having to sit through the same teleprompted- and -polished routine at General Conference. Skip the sessions and focus on the shinin.').

Monson, by the way, was not seen washing "Elvis the Shoe Shiner's" feet. Apparently he was too busy being profit:

("Chatting With The LDS Church President Monson," at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LeM7qCD8lU)

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:31PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: topper ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:51PM

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:39PM

Monson at a Jazz game. Does he have box seats? You think Jesus would have been found at a camel race or whatever they did back then for amusement. I don't even think he got his sandals shined.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:51PM

Honestly I was expecting some wingtips and I got gathered loafers with a fuggin bell on them!

At least we can admit, he is not living high on the tithpayers hog when shoes are concerned.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:44PM

But let's give him the benefit of a doubt and say he has three pair of cheap shoes and then pays what ... $8, $9, $10 a pair, with tip, to get them shined? And how often does he do this?

Didn't look to me like he was too cool with being caught in the shoe shine chair.

Ugh, he really makes me sick. How anyone can look at him and see anything but a creepy old con man, I don't know. He reminds me of the ghost preacher who was after Carol Ann in Poltergeist II.

What's really disturbing is that he makes the news, paying some brown person to do what most of his followers have to do themselves, and it's supposed to be more interesting than disgusting.

If I ever move back to Utah, I can never watch TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 05:47PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 09:19PM

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 06:31PM

Don't the GAs have the right to go out in public and get a shoe-shine? Are they supposed to stay at home all day reading the scriptures?

Date: December 15, 2010 06:52PM

Wait, Jesus didn't wear shoes.

OK, did Jesus get his sandals all oiled up nice for the Sermon on the Mount?

And did Jesus compliment people on their neckwear like Monson did?

And did Monson mingle with the masses like Jesus did?

And wash the feet of the little guy, like Jesus did?

What Would Jesus Do?

Monson: "Jesus Who?"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 06:58PM by steve benson.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 07:18PM

Where is it written that Monson, or any other president of the CoJCoLDS, must look like and act like Jesus? Has any past president done that?

Does the Pope do any of the stuff you mentioned in your post?

The situation on the planet Earth was quite different 2000 years ago. In case you haven't noticed a lot has changed since that time.

Monson's demeanor and behavior is essentially what we would expect from any prominent religious leader today.

I am an atheist exmo, so my perspective is not that of a TBM. It is just my opinion that you have lost your ability to be reasonable and logical. That is what years of hate and bitterness can do to a person.

Date: December 15, 2010 08:13PM

Exactly. And that's the problem, as he demonstrates in his shoe-shine moment.

You're staying childish in your old age by stating the obvious.

The hypocrisy of Monson pretending to be and to represent something he both is not and which does not comport with the religion of ancient days that he purports to follow is the point here.
_____

By the way, this footage was brought to my attention by an individual who is essentially an ex-Mo at heart, and whose perspective I conveyed to readers in the initial post in this thread.

Not all disenchanted Mormons or ex-Mormons sees things as you do and if you think they should, then it's you who's lost it.

Save yerself--somehow. :)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 08:49PM by steve benson.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 07:20PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 07:37PM

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 08:52PM

Ohhh, Unca Fester's gettin' his shoe shined. He looks like he's in some pain, though. Not at all warm or friendly. Who would be when the hoi polloi are within 10 feet of you?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 09:11PM

He look like a tired old man getting his shoes shined. I thought the peace sign was kind of funny. I mean Monson is just a normal person and far from being the prophet the brainwashed members turn their lives over to. People need to wake up and realize they don't need to bend over to a prophet and take responsibility for themselves.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 09:49PM

He just comes across as a corny businessman. I don't see any greatness there at all. Seeing God's mouthpiece up close, I am very underwhelmed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.