Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:38PM

I haven't spoken to my friend in weeks, but the first thing she hit me with was the following question. I am throwing this long question out for your consideration and your comments

"Why are you so against the LDS Missionaries- if they can improve and give hope to some suffering soul, isn't it worth it. Even if it is just helping lonely people find a church where they are welcome. Isn't that a good thing".

JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:55PM

Where they're welcome? The Church has so much trouble with retention because newcomers are so often ignored. The missionaries dump them as soon as they're baptized.

Then they find themselves dumped into an organization which destroys their self-esteem by telling them they're never good enough, no matter how fast they run on that hamster wheel. And as a convert, they'll always be a second-class citizen.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 11:58PM

First of all, it's rather begging the question to assume they can "improve and give hope to some suffering soul". The Mormon faith doesn't seem to do much improving or in reducing the suffering of others (Have you READ The Miracle of Forgiveness?!?!?), as the antidepressant use in Utah indicates.

Secondly, they are approaching people in their HOMES to pester them about their religion. If all they want to do is offer hope to suffering souls then they can set up kiosks in cities and towns and offer hope to those seeking it.

Thirdly, they are being used and manipulated by the church to sacrifice very important years in their lives AND they frequently suffer health problems because the Church doesn't offer them physical or mental support and, in fact, often causes damage in the ways it treats them. (Poor nutrition, limited medical access, too much physical activity with no education on how to properly treat their bodies, etc.)

And finally, I take issue with the fact that the Missionaries are peddling a lie door to door. I'm irritated with them regardless of what lie it is they peddle, be it religion, politics, or the latest get-rich-quick scheme. I don't need liars coming to my door to lie to me. (Although I'll admit that at least some of the Missionaries out there honestly believe in the lies they are peddling.)

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:04AM

Because the purpose of the LDS church is to make people believe that the LDS church is true. Its countless meetings are held for this purpose. And they demand absolute obedience plus 10% of your money. If the LDS church is built upon a fraudulent prophet, what's the point? I realized this very quickly after I no longer believed the was led by real prophets. I thought I could still get something out of it, but all it was was propaganda and brainwashing with convincing yourself Mormonism was true. There was no substance to it.

I don't believe in living a lie and spreading lies. If Mormonism is built upon lies I don't want any part of it and most other people don't either. People want the truth.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:07AM

Also, Mormonism is an all or nothing religion. You can't pick and choose what you believe and how you practice religion in Mormonism. You have to swallow the enchilada or you might as well be Methodist or something.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:22AM

My reply is along the lines that what you get in social support from the LDS Church comes at a much higher cost in terms of time, money, and commitment than it could be gotten from other places. You're paying Mercedes Benz prices for a Ford Pinto. I would also note that only 25-30% of the church are active. Assuming they are all satisfied with their lives as Mormons (of which I am not convinced) that still leaves 70-75% of Mormons who sought the promised benefits and who are *not* satisfied. So, how much good are missionaries really doing?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:28AM

Have your friend view this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXD4iwklcI

;-)

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 01:08AM

Because that's what Mormon missionaries are trained to seek out: those who are suffering. Their suffering makes them vulnerable, and who is standing right there to take advantage of that vulnerability?

You got it! Mormon Missionaries = vultures, circling for the kill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.