Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:13AM

TBM: How can you leave the church? Don't you want to be with your family in the next life?

Me: Yes, I want to be w/my family. Most Christian religions believe that families will be together in the next life. They just don't believe they will be having polygamous sex for eternity.

TBM: Didn't you like the temple?

Me: Actually, I felt an evil presence in the temple. (this is much better than saying you didn't like the temple because then they will say you just need to keep going to understand it better.

TBM: Don't you feel the spirit when you read the BOM?

Me: No, I just feel extremely bored.

TBM: If you aren't going to teach your kids to follow the prophet, then WHO are you going to teach them to follow? (this was asked in horror by the MP's wife?

Me: UMMMMMmmmmmm their CONSCIENCE (that thing you guys call the light of Christ).

TBM: Didn't you ever feel the spirit?

Me: If you're referring the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I feel good, then yes... but I feel the same exact thing when I watched Toy Story 3.

I have been asked all these things and have found these answers to leave tbm's speechless.

Anyone have any comebacks for stupid mormon questions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:15AM

"One more word and I'm going to rip your right arm off and beat you with the bloody stub."

Always works for me.

Ron

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 11:28AM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:20AM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:26AM

Here's what I would say. I do tend to be infuriating:

TBM: How can you leave the church? Don't you want to be with your family in the next life?

"Nope."

"Nope."

TBM: If you aren't going to teach your kids to follow the prophet, then WHO are you going to teach them to follow? (this was asked in horror by the MP's wife?

"Satan, duh!"

"Nope."

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:29AM

Those are good ones, OP, but for those people who may understand Christianity when they ask "Who are you going to teach them to follow?" it should be said with surprise and shock "Well, follow Christ, DUH. Aren't you Christian?"

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:32AM

Regarding her eternal family, my wife told the Bishop that she relies on the teachings of her old religion.

When the Bishop asked me what I was going to teach my kids, I told him that first of all, to always remember this interaction they just witnessed.

When I was asked how I could possibly turn my back on what was so precious to me:
Anyone who has read the true accounts of the church history has a moral obligation to turn away.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:52AM

at http://packham.n4m.org/q-and-a.htm "Answers to Questions Mormons Ask"

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 11:29AM

Q: Why are you so disrespectful of things that we hold sacred?

A: Why are you so disrespectful of things that I hold sacred?

Q: What then do you consider sacred?

A: Truth, integrity, honesty, love for one's fellow creatures, and trying one's best to act justly and do good. (Micah 6:8) Especially truth and integrity. I agree with Emerson, who said: "Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 10:53AM

Me: Most churches believe that you'll be with your family in eternity - Mormons are the only ones who force you to pay 10 percent of gross income for life in order to buy this blessing.

Me: No - it really bothered me that so much money was spent on adorning temples when there are so many poor and suffering in the world who need the money more. What is that scripture about "For behold, ye do love money, AND your substance, AND your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches MORE than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted?"

Me: In some places - mostly the ones copied directly from the bible.

Me: The Savior and their own conscience.

Me: Yes, but I didn't have all the information to make a good decision. Back in WWII, they gave cigarettes to soldiers to help them feel calm and peaceful but then they learned more information about smoking and now they make better decisions. You always feel good about doing your best but when you learn to do better, you do better.

TBM: You need to avoid the appearance of evil

Me: But judging IS evil

TBM: Are you really going to throw your family away for eternity just for a cup of coffee? (Someone actually asked a friend of mine this)

Me: No - I left the church because they are lying to us. Coffee is just one of my rewards for having the integrity to face that fact and do something about it.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 11:11AM

I am going to use this for garments too..."Wearing cute underwear is one of the gift for having enough integrity to do what is right".

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 06:15PM

Yes, those are good responses.

But I'd probably just go with my gut reaction.

"Do you realize how utterly stupid your question is?"

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:00PM

call them to drag your secret-underwear ass(es) off this property.

[Raise finger] (I think you can guess which one. I'm right-handed.)

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:00PM

Tauna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1.
>
> TBM: How can you leave the church? Don't you want
> to be with your family in the next life?
>

ME: Yes, but I believe that good people will be with their families in heaven without having to pay a 10% membership fee into a Mormon temple.

> 2.
>
> TBM: Didn't you like the temple?

ME: Actually no, because I realized the first time visiting that Joseph Smith ripped it off from Masonic ceremony.

> 3.
>
> TBM: Don't you feel the spirit when you read the
> BOM?

ME: No because I keep finding plagiarisms in it from the 17th century English translation made by King James. How could those plagiarisms be in there if its a translation of a 2000 year old record that pre-dates the King James Bible by 1200 years and written in some lost "reformed" Egyptian language in ancient America?

> 4.
>
> TBM: If you aren't going to teach your kids to
> follow the prophet, then WHO are you going to
> teach them to follow? (this was asked in horror by
> the MP's wife?

ME: I going to have them follow the good counsel of their PARENTS and to teach them to follow their own CONSCIENCE and not some CULT leader.

> 5.
>
> TBM: Didn't you ever feel the spirit?

I don't believe so. Does mean that I didn't have feel good feelings or had warm fuzzies? I had those but they don't mean you are feeling the spirit of god testifying that something is true. I get the same feelings watching movies or listening to music. I got the same feelings when the first cute girl told me she liked me. I also get the same feelings before I learn somethings are not true too. I thought I won the sweepstakes and got SUPER good feelings and warm fuzzies until I read the fine print and it said I had the CHANCE to win the lottery. I realized that feelings don't always indicate something is true. It just indicates what YOU BELIEVE at the moment.

Yeah, these questions are really pretty easy to answer once you THINK about them.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 12:05PM

I just say,

"You know, everyone thinks that Islam is a strict religion... But you Mormons are even less forgiving and accepting to other religions than Islam. At least Islam believes there are 3 acceptable religions inspired by God that they will recognize:

1. Islam
2. Christianity
3. Judaism

They believe it all came from the same source, and any true believer of any of these 3 faiths will be saved. In my opinion, that is a MUCH more loving, and less self-righteous attitude to have... Rather than "We are right, and everyone else will suffer".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 12:06PM by melissa3839.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 02:19PM

melissa3839 Wrote:
> I just say,
>
> "You know, everyone thinks that Islam is a strict
> religion... But you Mormons are even less
> forgiving and accepting to other religions than
> Islam. At least Islam believes there are 3
> acceptable religions inspired by God that they
> will recognize:
>
> 1. Islam
> 2. Christianity
> 3. Judaism
>
> They believe it all came from the same source, and
> any true believer of any of these 3 faiths will be
> saved. In my opinion, that is a MUCH more loving,
> and less self-righteous attitude to have...
> Rather than "We are right, and everyone else will
> suffer".

Actually, the Koran says that anyone who believes Jesus is the Son of God will go to hell. That would include most Christians.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 02:23PM

I find that Mormons don't even realize they're talking about religion. They're pretty much on autopilot when they ask these questions.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 03:05PM

Nobody has asked me a darn thing other than my husband. They are all chicken to find out, I guess.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 03:54PM

The best phrase to get a mormon to go away:

"My temple name is __________."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 04:00PM

Tauna Wrote:
> 1.
>
> TBM: How can you leave the church? Don't you want
> to be with your family in the next life?
>

Um... Hell, no. Have you met them? You wouldn't want to be with them for eternity either, trust me.

Date: December 16, 2010 06:20PM

Yep!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 04:56PM

"What did we do to make you so offended that you don't want to come to church anymore?"

Please give me an answer to that!

Also, what is a good answer for the general question, usually asked by non-Mormons: "Why did you leave the Mormon church." I would like an answer that would not make me seem like a crazy ex-cult-member, but would alert non-Mormons that Morminism is to be avoided. I want a short answer. Help?

All your answers are great. I used this one myself, on a family member, and thought I invented it, but it is on Packham's website:

"Q: How can you turn your back on your heritage?
A: Not too many generations ago my ancestors turned their backs on their heritage, and became Mormons. I am following their example."

I love this!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 05:37PM

Depending on how offensive your Mormons are. I usually say - "Oh, I'm not offended - I like Mormons. Why do YOU think they are so offensive? I mean, you must or you wouldn't assume that's why people leave."

or

"It's not that I'm so offended but I look at things like (fill in examples of bad Mo behavior here) and I just realize I don't want to be like that - I don't want to settle for that. I know you are all doing your best but I just want to do better. I still like Mormons enough to be patient with them."

Also, when asked "Why did you leave" a simple "because I found out they were lying and I don't like being lied to" is enough. And it's the absolute truth.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 05:57PM

1. How can you leave the church? Don't you want to be with your family in the next life?

My sister was crying when she asked me this question. I told her that is not the case at all and I do want to be with her if that was possible but I just don't think it is possible through the church.

My mom asked me this when I was questioning. I said I never realy cared for the temple experience.

I said whenever I read about things that have good stories I feel good but it doesn't mean they are true.

I'll teach my kids to think critically and think for themselves studying both sides.

My brother thinks I never did feel the spirit they way he did. I laughed and said how could you say that I know what you felt but I just don't think that is a source of truth. Other people believe in their church just as strong because of feelings of this spirit they had.

6. Where you reading anti material?

This is my favourite thing to say. I told them I was reading church history and it was the mormon defenders (apologists) that confirmed these events in church history. That is why I don't believe it anymore.

That always leaves them shocked because they really don't know what to say cause they never looked at the issues themselves.

I told my Dad it was the website he refered me to that led me out of the church. Poor guy must of really hurt him.

Date: December 16, 2010 06:28PM

If so, I guess it's fine to not lie to him but if not that was probably unnecessarily hurtful.

Also the person who asked what we did to so offend you? I'd simply say I don't believe it and I'd be a hypocrite if I were practicing a religion I didn't believe in.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 16, 2010 06:21PM

"Just shut the fuck up, you TBM arsehole!" ;oD

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.