Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 12:10AM

Anyone here serve or live in the Sydney mission? I was there 1990-92.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: urbanprankster ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 03:42AM

I was there from 1979-1981

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 11:02AM

Posted by: urbanprankster ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 06:43AM

I was there during the infamous Orson Wright regime. Saw him leave and had TSM give all the missionaries a pep talk. (I heard however, that he gave the assts. holy hell for not turning him in sooner)all in all, one of the worst experiences of my life.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 11:28AM

Ok..I must ask...

What did Wright do to be...booted (I assume)?

Posted by: flecher ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 04:00PM

Hey Urban,
I was in Melbourne '79 to '81, a couple of elders in our mtc{ Jan. '79} district went to Sydney. Six of us went on to Melbourne. We met up again at the New Zealand Temple on the way home. I'm the guy who went swimming in Hawaii! I quit the Church when the plane landed in California.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:00AM

Except, they were stuck in South Australia their entire mission.

Posted by: Mon ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:24PM

My mum got baptised in 1980 in Melbourne,I wonder if you had anything to do with that!

Date: July 26, 2012 02:07AM

wow! I had no idea about that incident!
I DID hear about the elder sent home for getting caught painting a woman's toenails...although I suspect this was an urban legend.

Posted by: spicyflavor ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:13AM

I heard that same one in my mission.. Alabama. So it probably is.

Posted by: shonto ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:58AM

I was there in 1983-1984. I served an 18 month mission with President Watts. In my TBM days, I really liked him. I did hear rumors about the Orson Wright episode, but the member who seemed to know the most wouldn't go into details.

What I heard most was how bad it was when Loren C. Dunn was president. I guess he was very into numbers and put a lot of pressure on the missionaries to tract long hours and be extra pushy.

Posted by: graybeard ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:17AM

Hey Shonto,
I was in Sydney the same time as you.

Posted by: shonto ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 03:34PM

Really? Where did you serve? I was in Punchbowl, Cessnock, Tamworth, Campbelltown, and Rockdale.

Posted by: digdug ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:24PM

I was in Australia from Dec 89' to Dec 91'. First area was Dubbo, then Taree, Maitland, Orange, Canberra and a couple other areas I don't remember. Good place to go.

Posted by: NewMexican ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:22PM

I was in the mission the same time as you 1983 - 1985. I served in Ryde, Taree, Newcastle, and Parramatta. I left the church in 1991. I agree I heard horror stories about Dunn and Wright. The Aussies took it out on us missionaries. During the infamous era they had Day of Pentecost discussions where people were baptised after one meeting. I also heard that Dunn and Wright were cousins and were in a competition to see who could baptize more people.

Posted by: Awake In Tucson ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 12:31PM

I started out under Nielsen in 92 and then it split and then I was under Pace until 94. I was in Mascot, Hurstville, Penrith, Hornsby, Newcastle, Armidale, Mosman, and St Marys.

Date: July 26, 2012 01:37PM

when in 92 did you arrive, Awake? If Mascot was your first area, I may well have trained you....

Date: July 26, 2012 01:49PM

If my memory serves me correctly I was trained by a guy from Kansas. He was a roofer by trade before his mission. Thomas Mundy I think. Mascot was his last area.

Date: July 26, 2012 02:01PM

Mundy was a companion of mine too! Mascot was also my last area, but I was there august-november and trained a guy from Spanish Ferk. ....I suspected you couldn't be him...that guy was aiming for general authority.

Date: July 26, 2012 02:22PM

That sounds like Elder Ray.

Date: July 26, 2012 02:28PM

caught!
Ray was my comp before my trainee from S.F.
Since you "outed" me, what's your name?

Date: July 26, 2012 02:32PM

I was Elder (Michael) Bills in my past life. Dark hair, average height, always wore sweaters like Mundy.

Date: July 26, 2012 02:43PM

Date: July 27, 2012 01:58AM

not the one that had an inordinate amount of "blessings"...including one on the flight over?

Date: July 27, 2012 08:06PM

That's true, I did have two wet dreams during the LA-Sydney flight. Can you believe that? It wasn't fun having to clean cum out of my Gs twice in an airplane lavatory. I'm an old guy now so I don't have them nearly as often. There were a few times I'd go through a weeks worth of underwear in two nights sleep. Elder Baird called me 'Spurticles'.

Date: July 28, 2012 04:12AM

Bills!
how and when did you (pardon the expression) come to realize LDSInc. was bunkity shit?

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 05:20AM

I knew that they had spent part of their mission there, but for some reason I thought that Adelaide & some other places that were in were in the same mission as Melbourne.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 07:32AM

Not Sydney but Australia Melbourne 1976-1978...Italian Language Elder.

Served under John Convey and Bruce Mitchell.

There were 12 of us at the time and we were a seperate zone unto ourselves. We covered the entire Melbourne metropolitan area and surrounding suburbs on foot, bike and train.

While I was there there was also 10 Spanish speaking missionaries as well.

Date: August 03, 2012 10:33PM

You would have served with my ex husband. He is a total moron and was known as one on his mission. He served with the guy who got engaged on his mission and his wedding announcement was a pic of him and the girl infront of the bridge taken on his mission.

Date: August 03, 2012 10:39PM

Anyone serve later in Syd with Elder Parton he was AP, I just heard last week he is a Stake Pres in Melbourne.

Posted by: mt druit ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 12:02AM

served with parton also saw him over here in salt lake three years ago and had dinner at the joseph smith memorial building with a few others from the ASNM have never told him that i have been out of the church since 98 i served 95-97

Date: August 04, 2012 12:15AM

we visited him in his flat in fairfield, me (a girl) and a guy friend. then we went to another comps place and they trashed the joint. and left the most disgusting present in the shower!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.