Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:34PM

Although many words used by Mormons are in the lexicon of the English language, yet they are used sparingly or not at all. Two words that I can think of off the top of my hat are:

Personage

Bishopric

Ward, Stake, etc. are words that are used often but in different contexts by most people outside of Mormonism.

Can you folks think of any other words that are unique to Mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:40PM

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:17PM

Is a "sweet spirit" some kind of gelatinous matter (which I learned as recently as yesterday) that might be lime green in color? I hear that is quite popular at Mormon potlucks. Not sure about the shredded carrot stuff.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:04AM

Sweet Spirit is a girl/woman who is either:

1) overweight

2) homely

3) both 1 and 2

And it's said in such a way of "oh, she has inner beauty but mostly she's an ugly cow."

Really passive aggressive pejorative.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:42PM

I still use "personage" in a sarcastic way with my students. The suffix just has a lovely sound at the end of that word. Can't stop using it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 09:42PM by toto.

Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:46PM

Flipping' Weirdo

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:48PM

Bare one's testimony

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:38AM

Bear testimony. BEAR

Date: July 26, 2012 04:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 04:41AM by jaredsotherbrother.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:49PM

Fetcher

Flipper

Flippin' Fetcher

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:54PM

Even Jesus Christ.

Posted by: SCMD ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:01PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even Jesus Christ.

I DEPLORE their unnatural usage of "even."

Date: July 26, 2012 11:08PM

Mormons don't persevere; they perSERvere. many of them even spell the word with an extra "R".

It also bugs me when Mormons sing the second vers of "Choose the Right," which is an atocious hymn to begin with, but is made worse by the pervasive LDS mispronunciation of "digression," which mormons insist on pronouncing as "DISgression." it's a small concern in the grand scheme of things, but it does bug me.

Date: July 27, 2012 12:00AM

in a hcik ward my family attended, they used the term "come out" to mean "attend church" as opposed to openly announcing one's sexuality.

The lDS use of the word "active," though not wrong per se, isn't always understood. A single woman who works with me converted to the LDS church in her teens, but didn't stick it out for long. My brother, who's a practicing Latter-Day Saint and practices medicine at the hospital where I'm completing my residency, learned that the woman converted to Moism. He asked her if she is active. She wasn't familiar with the terminology as it pertains to LDS church attendance and participation. She looked at him oddly, then said, "Yes, I'm SEXUALLY active, if that's what you mean." She did indirectly answer my brother's question.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 11:37PM

Non-Mormons are "gentiles"

Everyone who drinks is an "alcoholic"

Those who join the church are "converts"

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 12:20AM

Don Bagley Wrote:

> Those who join the church are "converts"

And those who leave are "convicts."

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 12:32AM

"convert" sounds like a blend of convict and pervert.

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 12:40AM

What's with that "Be THOU Perfect" b.s.?

Pay Lay Ale kinda ranks up there too. What the hell is that all about? Smith had one hell of a imagination to come up with that kind of crap.

ST

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:12AM

These words are actually Hebrew. I didn't attend the temple until after these words were changed. I can't remember what Pey (speak), Ley (to) and El (God). My husband and I lived in Israel for nearly 3 years and learned the language. I didn't know until recently when we started talking about the temple ceremony (outside the temple **gasp**) that he told me the words as they used to be. El actually means "him". The Jewish people hold such reverence for God that they never actually use his name in speach or written language. One of my favorite sayings in Hebrew is "Bey ezrat ha shem", meaning "with God's help". The words "ha shem", they use to mean God, but it literally means "the name". A little off topic, but interesting nonetheless.

Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 01:43AM

Well, you just crushed my theory. I always liked to imagine it was am invitation to enjoy a cold pale ale. :)

Posted by: Docia ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:26AM

After we converted to TSCC, the Bishop called and said, "Sister Deloach?" I thought he said, "Mr." and wanted my husband, so I said, "I'm sorry he's not home, may I leave a message?"

He laughed and told me what he'd actually said. And I actually LIKED being called Sister. You never have to learn anyone's first name.LOL Somehow, the kids at the Ward started calling me, "Sister Docia," which made me feel like a nun.

We were lucky enough to be in a ward full of "sweet spirits" who actually loved one another like a family. They got mad at each other, but loved each other. Many have remained good friends with me "despite" my apostasy which, frankly, surprised me. They even still call me sister, and they KNOW I'm not coming back. Not everyone of course, but my REAL friends stayed friends. I was lucky.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 02:23AM

I refuse.....REFUSE to comply with their word usage.

Every once in a while there is a word or phrase that I can't find a decent replacement for and in those cases I use "so-called" in front of it.

That BKKKP POS said "......those so-called 'gays and lesbians'....". Well, to hell with you, you old diaper wearing piece of sh!t.

But am I angry?

Absolutely.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 02:26AM

I want to slap the user everytime I see or hear it -- arrogant snobs.

There are hundreds of thousands of churches in this world, Mormons -- get used to it.

(Kind of reminds me of being in England and having British folks tell me "Oh, you're from the colonies, are you?" Confused the heck out of me at first.)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:21AM

to mean the high-ups (GAs?), whereas in general usage, it means the whole congregation or flock of believers, without the hierarchical exclusion setting them apart from the hoi polloi.

Tom in Paris

Date: July 26, 2012 04:42AM

Cultural hall.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:17AM

said in such a way where you can HEAR that capital T and the capital P. Like you should bow yer head when ya hear it!

Reggie The StalkerDog™ <-- happy that dogs can't kneel!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:19AM

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:50PM

I hate when they say "It came to pass" when they aren't quoting scripture. Just say, "It happened."

Ugh!

I also, like dagny, *hate* the use of "even" as in "OUr true and living prophet, EVEN, TSM"

*shudder*

Oh! And Secret combination. wth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 11:09PM by suzanne.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:15AM

"the institute building" or "going to institute" sounds weird to me but was always a norm for the mormons I was in YSA with.

mental institution better describes the environment there

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:26AM

Nope, it's not rain, it's not precipitation, it's MOISTURE.

Just thinking about it reminds me of an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" where Barney tortures Lily by repeatedly saying "moist" (because he knows she hates the word).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk20WWY15uc

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.