Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:37AM

Anyone see the Utah County mega stake conference last week ? While visiting we went to keep peace in the family.
Last Sunday was a total Utah County. Heber City , Midway mega take conference via satellite with
Julie Beck and Boyd K at the wheel. Lots of stats and numbers off attendees thrown around to impress.

I will paraphrase her talk but much like her famous "Mothers Who know talk" This one was titled

"YOU ARE DOING BETTER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE" .....JB went on and on about how we are not giving ourselves enough credit for the good works and obedience
and good lives we are living. We need to be credited for being so faithful, good, optimistic , great, speshul etc. The talk was Praise, Praise, Praise and then when everyone thought .... hey I guess we are doing GOOD ! we got the long silence and ....................................

" BUT YOU DO KNOW YOU COULD BE DOING A WHOLE LOT BETTER ! "..
she then harped on that for the remainder of her talk.

Once again the unobtainable expectation of Mormonism is alive and well. You can never do enough, pay enough, pray enough and give enough for these out of touch leaders. Horrible talk in my opinion . With all the depression, job loss ,foreclosures and suicide at an all time high in Utah she throws more fuel on the fire. Even my TBM spouse thought it was a horrible talk.
Gotta say Julie Beck IMO is a major contributor to that 20% figure posted from the SL trib of Utah women who are depressed .

* Maybe to get over my angst I'll go to the new multi billion dollar mega mall to Desert Book and buy Monson's $36 book "To the Rescue" for some guidance.. since he talks with GOD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flackerman ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:50AM

The church teaches that "if you rid yourself of ALL ungodliness then his grace is sufficent for you" and that Jesus "cannot save you in your sins". It teaches that you have to never, ever commit a sin again in order to have forgiveness for that sin. It teaches that God's love is conditional based on your obedience.

Is this really surprising that this woman, who buys into the whole "you have to be perfect in order for God to love and forgive you" doctrine of the church, to say these things? Is it really that surprising that the TBM women believe her, and have to take happy pills?

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:58AM

Is there a link in DesNews or elsewhere where we can read or view her talk?

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:27AM

Feminists must really not like her. It's one thing when a male tells women these things, but when a woman herself says these things!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:24AM

This is the type of RfM post that makes me thankful every day to be free of Mormon institutional manipulation.

Hope that the utter unsuitability of the talk plants a seed in your TBM spouse, Mo!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:43AM

...they ever tell the members they're doing just fine, they're righteous enough and to stop beating themselves up, the members would become less dependent upon the church, less needing of approval, less fearful of their eternal fate. The church would lose a chunk of its control.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:59AM

I deeply despise this aspect of Mormonism. Life is often tough enough as it is without being reminded you are not good enough. Today with falling house values, large families, tithing, time wasting church callings, no wage increases or layoffs etc. it is no wonder Mormons are into anti-depressants. The church does not help members. In fact, it makes them feel worse. It is a sick organization.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:09AM

It makes them feel worse while claiming to be the cure.

Funny how all of my symptoms disappeared after I extracted myself from the LDS church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.