Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 19, 2010 04:57PM

It's just a funny thing that my Mormon-hating atheist grandpa had a pink car. It was a 1956 Plymouth Belevedere, looked like this:

http://www.reginaantiqueauto.ca/members%20rides/DDM_0068.jpg

Grandpa pretended to be all manly--whenever he saw a guy with long hair, he would get all disgusted and say, "He probably squats to piss"--but he had this pink car.

Funnier still, it was *only* his car that he drove by himself, like when he went to the bowling alley to hang out and have a cheeseburger and smoke. He did this about every day, while Grandma was at work. (She worked in the Accounting department at ZCMI.) Whenever he went anywhere with Grandma, he rode in the passenger seat of her '61 Buick Special (looked like this: http://www.kitfoster.com/images/2008-4-16_61BuickSplSdnWeb-Large.jpg).

Grandma was the worst driver who ever lived, so he would yell at her, and she'd either ignore him or tell him to hush up. She drove us all to Disneyland in 1966--me and my mom and brother in the back seat, Grandpa in the front. I can still hear him shouting, "Goddammit, Alma, now we're goin' to San Bernardino!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 12:44AM

He probably wouldn't let Grandma anywhere near his beloved Plymouth Belvedere. ;) What a funny story.

Date: December 21, 2010 07:17AM

I probably didn't think to ask why. It was just the way things were. Grandpa was older than all my other grandparents, and I was only 11 when he died. He'd be 110 now.

I'm looking at my parents' wedding picture from 1958. Grandpa was only seven years older than I am now, my other grandpa was the same age as I am now, and both grandmas were younger. God.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 08:56AM by munchybotaz.

Date: December 25, 2010 10:21PM

Come to find out, Grandma hated it because it was pink and because Grandpa bought it without consulting her. My mom doesn't know why he got pink, except she thinks he was trying to one-up her white-over-black-over-white '55 Plymouth Belvedere (yeah, no issues there) and maybe it was the only one they had. Grandpa thought it was great, but Grandma didn't agree. The only time my mom ever heard them argue was after he bought home the pink car. Grandma was extremely disgusted and wouldn't have anything to do with it.

That makes it even funnier.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:50AM

I'm glad you got to the bottom of that. You would probably always have wondered otherwise.

Posted by: EquineFedora ( )
Date: December 20, 2010 01:02AM

I'll bet Grandpa loved John Wayne (born Marion Robert Morrison).

Date: December 21, 2010 04:56AM

but I know he thought Rex Harrison was a fairy. He made a huge stink when we all went to see Dr. Dolittle.

He loved The Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad. It was on in the afternoons, and he watched it every day.

Oh, and he thought Gone With the Wind was the greatest movie ever made, so I guess he was OK with Clark Gable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 07:22AM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 27, 2010 03:35PM

Its called Playboy Pink

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.