Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 11:33PM

Hey there my old friends and friends I have not yet met. It's been a long time since I've posted, probably almost over a year. However, I wanted to update those who I do know about the car accident I was in last year in May.

First off, thanks for the advice to seek a lawyer WCG, Cheryl, Jerry, and all others who gave me the good advice. This has been such an ordeal; I'm not sure what I would have done without someone dealing with the legal aspect.

As for the physical aspect, about three months after the accident they discovered a hemorrhaged disc in my neck and a bulging/ripped disc in my low back (L5-S1). After a long ordeal of physical therapy (that really didn't give me any pain relief), a lot of increasing pain meds, and injections they referred me to a surgeon who suggested a full disc replacement. Of course, I got a second opinion who suggested the same thing.

Now, over a year later, my surgery is scheduled. On October 15th, I will have a full synthetic disc replacement. It's actually quite scary. So I both wanted to update those who gave me such great advice after the accident itself and ask for positive thoughts and vibes.

P.S. Cheryl and Jerry, my email has changed (now that I'm no longer at SSU). I didn't get any of the information about the NorCal meetups because of that. New email: tiffanylstark@yahoo.com. Keep me updated for next year's meetings!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 12:06AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 12:50AM

Good luck with your surgery. I was in a bad accident in Nov. of last yr...a guy hit me in the rear while I was at a stop sign and boy was he traveling fast.... I have 5 bulging discs. Hit my head also and have one more appt. with the neurologist. That has been interesting. They found some things but nothing huge. The Dr. said on the one test, he hadn't seen my result before but was not concerned. Car accidents stink.

My disc problems are low back and neck. None was bulging out enough to require surgery. Yours must have been. Yes, phys. therapy didn't rid me of my pain either, but it has lessened some. Can't do SO much though that I always did before. Forget running. I have had help also in the legal aspects of all this. Almost ready to settle. Good luck and do take it easy.

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 10:01AM

I had to have a spinal fusion at L5/S1. It is definitely major surgery. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes. Recovery is going to be an ordeal, but you can do it. In my case, it was worth it. It put an end to years of chronic pain. I'm not sure how disc replacement works out, however. Good luck.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 10:24AM

Nice to hear from you Tiff - I didn't know about your accident.

Hope a full recovery is in the offing for you ...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 11:39AM

I'm so sorry it has caused you so much pain. I know how hard that is to deal with.

I'd not heard of disc replacement either, so let us know more.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 01:18PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 02:00PM

so sad about the back issues. Please let me know what I can do for you. I'm mobile these days, so if you need a home nurse for a week or so, I'm it.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 08:41PM

If you need an after surgery home nurse, I'm available.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 05:57PM

I saw a chiropractor in the beginning, but honestly, there's not much that can be done until the disc problem is actually fixed.

I'm just glad to have followed the advice of everyone and gotten a lawyer. For awhile, I was being told that there was a possibility that I wouldn't be able to have the disc replacement. Instead, they were saying I'd have to get an MRI every year until my disc was bad enough to get a fusion. =/ At 23, that's a daunting idea.

WCG, I'm up in Sacramento now, but since I missed all the get togethers this summer, I'd love to catch up once I'm able to start driving again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.