Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 03:15PM

Anyone read this blog? Here's the profile...

http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com

THE NIENIE DIALOGUES

STEPHANIE AURORA CLARK NIELSON
UTAH, UNITED STATES
I am: Returning from a near-fatal airplane crash, burned 80% of my body, and will have surgeries for the rest of my life. Probably. But I am alive. I cherish Mr. Nielson, Claire, Jane, Oliver, Nicholas and recently, my newest sweetheart Charlotte.

Looks like she's LDS, since she writes of falling asleep while listening to some "wonderful" conference talks...

I found this blog because some women on a messageboard who are regular readers were upset that she posted pictures of her kids not wearing seatbelts in the car or helmets when they were riding bikes. In the same thread, they complain about the blogger turning off comments and not appreciating donations... Hmm...

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=3037154

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 05:34PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 10, 2012 05:33PM

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 06:18PM

I read it and also her sister's blog, CJane. Nienie's blog is boring and one big advertisment. I still read it though!

I find it more fun to read the Nienie/CJane section over at Get Off My Internets. http://getoffmyinternets.net/gomi-forum/mommy-bloggers/c-jane-and-nienie/

There are a few Mormons and former Mormons that chime in when the talk turns to Mormonism!

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 11:04PM

never seen that site before. New favorite! Thanks!

Posted by: themosthappy ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 05:18PM

Whoa! A few of my worlds are colliding.

Date: September 10, 2012 09:37PM

I wonder how many women on that twopeasinabucket scrapbooking community are LDS... There were quite a few who seemed to be following NieNie's blog and then dropped it because she apparently isn't as into safety as they are.

Date: September 10, 2012 11:03PM

I've read her blog on and off. I don't know why I do it to myself because it nauseates me. She went through something unthinkably traumatic, and survived, and lives with the pain and scars every day. I admire her strength. That's where it ends.

She is so up herself, it is unreal. She is preachy and crams her religion down every post. She is so self-congradulatlry, it makes me ill, She might have been an interesting blogger at one time, but now her blog is all about all the wonderful opportunities that come from selling her story of survivorship. I don't begrudge that so much as I begrudge the fact that she doesn't do much to give back to... anyone. She has turned her blog into a mission, which is sickening. When she is not promoting herself, her posts are simply advertorials. That is SO not interesting to read.

I'm glad she fought and survived, and I am happy for the progress that she's made. But her blog sucks and she seems like a rotten, self-absorbed person.

Why do I feel guilty now for saying that?

Oh, and her grammar, punctuation, spelling and grasp of the english language is laughable. I'm sure there is grand irony here because my post is probably littered with errors. But at least I know that wa-la is not a word, and not the word she's looking for.

Posted by: LisaPH ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 09:31AM

I don't know her personally, or anyone in her family, so this is not a "family/friend" loyalty post. However, I want to state, that after what she's been through, and what her entire family has been through, I think she's entitled to do whatever the hell she wants. It's her blog, and so thereby can put on it whatever she wants. What I can't fathom is why, when a blogger becomes successful, why actual "anti" & "hate" blogs form, against these successful bloggers. Pioneer Woman has hate post against her also. I don't get it, other than it's pure old fashioned jealousy. As far as NieNie and her grammatical errors, spelling etc. I'm just grateful the woman can type at all! She could barely move her fingers after they were burned. I also believe, she writes her blog, as more of a journaling/chronicling of what's happening in her family, not for the entertainment of the masses. If she be industrious and can make a buck off of advertisers then power to the American woman for ingenuity. I remember one person complaining when she posted a picture of getting hair extensions. They were complaining about how expensive they were, and people had made donations to her recovery. I couldn't believe it. MERCY ME~! She was burned horribly~ People stare and make extremely rude comments. If getting hair extensions to make her feel attractive and a woman again, how could someone be so shallow as to complain about it. In regard to her religion, people talk about what's important to them. Is this a new concept in blogs?

Date: January 11, 2013 09:50AM

Wow. You seem to be pretty sensitive about this. Why would you bump a months old post and shame people for expressing their opinions? It's not like they posted their comments on NieNie's blog or even started an anti blog. They shared their opinions on RfM. Why does it matter to you what strangers in cyberspace think about NieNie and her blog? Do you think that coming on RfM and shaming people is going to make them pro-NieNie?

What the hell is the point of all that?

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 11:28PM

I found her blog through the blog of a friend who lost her husband and son in March. I couldn't read much of it. She does have a good story, she's an upbeat, inspirational person but the blog didn't grab me.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 05:26AM

One thing that's disturbing to me about the plane crash is that her husband was willing to escape and let her burn to death. From what I've read on other forums from people who don't care for her blog is that they also find that disturbing. Of course the lack of regard for safety when it comes to her own children is even worse, as she seems to buy into the Mormon belief that if a child dies before they're 8, they've got an automatic ticket to the CK.

Date: September 11, 2012 08:12AM

I don't know this story about her husband escaping, willing to let her burn to death. Please share!

Date: January 11, 2013 09:36AM

This is an incorrect statement. He yelled to her, "Follow Me"....and thought she was right behind him. The book goes into much more detail. For a couple to have gone through this dilemna, and make it through the other side, both in their marriage, but spiritually, emotionally, physically....what a miracle! How about a little human compassion. I hope that your children, grand children, sister, brother, or anyone you love is spared such a horrific experience. BTW...I don't know the Nielsen's are or related to them, so this is not a "loyalty" post.

Date: September 11, 2012 08:30AM

LOL... today's post on NieNie's blog says...

"My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the
events on September 11th 2000."

On September 11th 2000, my husband was freshly divorced and living in Kansas. The following year, he was in the Pentagon in the wedge that got hit by a jetliner.

Date: September 11, 2012 10:45AM

I guess her heart goes out to all who were freshly divorced 9/11/00 LOL

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 02:58PM

I used to LOVE this blog. I started reading it shortly after her accident. To me, it was inspiring and very real as she wrote about some of her struggles.
Now it's just a bunch of advertisements and a whole lot of bragging in my opinion. I started losing interest the Christmas she had readers send her handmade gifts for her to "review", but she gave the gifts to her kids and others. I wonder how many people spent the time to make something and send it, and not even get a mention in her blog.
Seriously so blessed was the best "Mormon mommy blog" in my opinion!

Date: September 11, 2012 03:00PM

Yeah, one lady on that scrapbooking thread I linked to complained that her daughter had sent her headbands and NieNie's daughter was wearing one in a photo. She never said thanks or anything... or even sent a little plug the headband creator's way.

Date: January 11, 2013 09:42AM

I don't get the problem with her daughter wearing the headband? Don't daughters and mothers do that automatically. Also, there would be NO time whatsoever, to mention or thank all of the people that sent her gifts!! She was busy recovering, and she did mention that she wished she could send personal thank you's, but there was just no time!! Isn't' the point of giving a gift is expecting NOTHING IN RETURN? Sounds to me like someone tried to use her to advertise and get business, hoping she would plug their product~~

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 03:01PM

I didn't know she was mormon for a while, but I really love her blog and she's beautiful and so is her family.

http://taza-and-husband.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:03PM

I'm sure she's a decent person in real life and I haven't read her blog. But the story bugs me because right after we left the church, our worst-ever HT brought over a video of her talking about how what she went through strengthened her testimony that Mormonism was the one true church. There was also something about not turning against the church because you'd be turning against the Savior. I was sooooo pissed and my HT because he'd never even asked why we weren't at church and to imply we'd turned against the Savior was outrageous. And, several weeks later, I saw a similar story about a woman who was burned in a different sort of accident and how what she went through strengthened her testimony that God wanted her active in the Church of England. I wish I'd watched it sooner so I could rub in it idiot-HT's face.

The only good part was that the HT's wife pulled me aside at a meeting a few months later, after we were unaccountably "busy" whenever her husband tried to schedule an appt. and asked if they'd upset us. I asked her where she got the idea we'd turned against the Savior and she said someone told her that we'd left the church because someone offended us and we were keeping our kids home because of it. I told her that whoever said that lied to her - and because of who she and her husband are friends with, I knew just which member of the bishopric was spreading lies about me and what they were. And it wasn't Bishop Jackwagon. So at least some good came of the dismal HT visit.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:18PM

A quick google search shows me that this was an issue in 2010, when she posted some pics like that. Does that mean that there are a lot of women that loved her a year ago before they knew, even though she'd already done it, but hate her after they found out, even though she was the same person? Awesome!

Date: September 12, 2012 01:29AM

I've read your comment several times, and it still makes no sense. What are you talking about?

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:36PM

Isn't the blog a means for income to support the family and pay for medical bills? Thus the advertisements?

Who wouldn't try to capitalize on a story of survival?

You do have a choice to read it or not!

Date: September 12, 2012 01:35AM

We also have the choice to DISCUSS it.

She started her blog before the accident, it's not a means to support her family. I don't think anyone is objecting to the actual ads on the blog, but that every post is an advertorial of sorts. This is not a needy family with huge medical bills. All their medical bills were written off by the hospital. The husband is fully functional, and was the income earner before the accident, they don't NEED this blog for money. Well, it probably helps with the purchases of all their luxury items like sailboats, their new motie (so freaking stupid, just call it a motorcycle), their very expensive wardrobes, vacations, etc., etc., etc. But no, reading it isn't charity. Her writing it isn't a means to support her family. Any implication that it is is meant to mislead and emotionally manipulate the reader.

Yep, people have the choice to read it or not, but those with opinions about it have the choice to share those opinions here.

I don't get this "shhh! If you don't like it, don't tell anyone! Shhh! Protect her popularity" mentality.

You have the choice to read this post or not... see, it works against you, too.

Date: January 11, 2013 09:49AM

I bet if your blog was popular and you made money form advertisers, you wouldn't see a problem with it. She has a story to tell. If anyone is entitled to share their story, she is. If anyone is deserving to make money off of it, she is. Why should anyone else make money off of her story? What if she asked you to assist in writing her book or her blog, and offered you half the money? I bet you wouldn't turn it down. Good old fashion American Ingenuity at work, before and after the blog, and people just can't stand it, when someone else is successful! Plus, the fact that she was burned so horribly and had to endure so much, just proves that human kindness is NOT overflowing.

Date: January 11, 2013 09:53AM

Why don't you go read NieNie's story and leave us alone, then? You obviously seem to enjoy it more than the posts on RfM.

Date: September 11, 2012 08:55PM

Apparently, besides the fact that NieNie's not safety minded, the ladies on that thread are turned off by the fact that her blog is very much an advertisement for her book. I don't fault her for writing about her extraordinary experiences, but when you put a blog or anything else out there for the world to read, people have the right to have an opinion about it. Evidently, this lady turned off the comments feature, so apparently she just wants people to read and not say anything...

I have a blog and I have a tendency to get pretty fired up on it. Every once in awhile, I get comments that are negative. I don't delete them, but I do sometimes fire back. It's all about communication and some people are gonna hate no matter what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 08:57PM by knotheadusc.

Date: September 12, 2012 01:41AM

Her blog was almost strictly advertorial (things unrelated to her book, shilling people's companies, etc.) before her book. I don't see anything wrong with her doing publicity for her book on her blog, that's something different completely.

The lack of comment feature is kind of obnoxious. Especially since she can't take any criticism. Someone criticized her via email, and she called out that person by name (first and last) and included the person's email address (I guess to sic her loyal readers on this woman?). I think it was someone who commented about the lack of life vests on her kids in a family photo (which I think isn't that big a deal, personally, I just assumed they took them off for a few mins to take the photo, but people get worked up about all sorts of things). Anyway, the call-out was the most childish and most classless thing I've seen a blogger do in a long time.

NieNie has the mentality of a 16 or 17 year old. She lacks maturity in a very profound way, so, basically, she's like a standard Molly Mormon.

Date: September 12, 2012 07:41AM

I have to admit I haven't really read NieNie's blog in detail. I did check out the photos the women on the twopeasinabucket thread linked to... And I don't regularly read the twopeasinabucket forum, either. I happened to find it while searching for something completely unrelated and got curious. Before a couple of days ago, I had never heard of twopeasinabucket or NieNie.

I don't have kids myself, but can't help but notice how much child rearing has changed compared to the way it was back in the days I was a kid! My mom would probably be reported by CPS these days for the things she let me and my sisters get away with. Like you, it probably wouldn't occur to me to comment on a mother's blog about her kids not wearing seatbelts, helmets, or life jackets, even though I know kids today are expected to be outfitted with safety gear. I guess I would assume they had taken them off for the photo, too. Seems like nowadays, everyone has an opinion... especially if kids are involved. It must be really hard to be a parent.

Anyway, I don't doubt that NieNie is a typical Molly Mormon with the mentality of a teenager. It's sad and fascinating all at the same time.

Date: September 12, 2012 09:00PM

Sad and fascinating. That pretty much sums it up!!

Date: January 11, 2013 09:51AM

I believe if I had been through enough negativity in my life, I wouldn't want another drop of it. After reading some of the comments here, I don't blame her for shutting it off. Out of curiosity, what's the opposite of a Molly Mormon>?

Posted by: EastMesaGal ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 03:49PM

I couldn't stand to read the thing due to the annoying centered justification on the text - why do people set up their blogs like that?

I was the web content / advertising manager for a local organization with a fairly large website a year or two ago and I was approached by them to be a sponsor for the blog. It was a really weird request, because our product/service really didn't have anything to do with parenting, religion, etc. I really got the impression they were just hitting up anyone with a large website and/or advertising budget in the area.

Date: September 13, 2012 06:35PM

Wow, that's interesting that they reached out randomly for sponsorship. I figured sponsors found them.

I agree about the center justified text. The randomly bolded, font-increased and colored words just make it even more annoying.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: September 13, 2012 03:54PM

I went to her site when it was first pointed out to me, and I read her story. Of course, I found her courage and struggle very inspiring, and wish her, now as then, the very best.
Having said that, I'm with everyone else, the tone of the blog and the advertising stuff is just a turnoff.

Posted by: freegal ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 12:13AM

I read Nie Nie regularly until a few months ago and I read her book. I am truly inspired by her courage and determination in the face of such a traumatic experience. I enjoyed looking at the photos of her beautiful children, but after repeatedly reading about how happy her life is and how blessed she is to have her wonderful husband and how much she loves him, I started getting bored with it. I feel kinda bad saying that.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 09:58AM

the "mommy" blog phenom has gotten out of hand if you ask me. I used to read a few but not anymore and I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time on a Mormon mommy blog. But to each their own!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.