Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mon ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 02:06AM

This is great!! Didn't hear about it at the time another exmormon!

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/folau-content-after-ditching-mormonism-20111108-1n597.html

Folau content after ditching Mormonism

Date
November 8, 2011

Rob Forsaith

A change of faith has steeled Israel Folau ahead of the immense challenges awaiting him in the 2012 AFL season.

Folau was a devout Mormon since childhood but his family cut ties with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints earlier this year.

Greater Western Sydney's code-hopping star now practises under the Assemblies of God fellowship, at a Tongan service similar to the Hillsong Church.

He couldn't be happier with the change in spiritual path.

"I had a personal experience with the holy spirit touching my heart," Folau told AAP.

"I've never felt that before while I was involved in the Mormon church - until I came to the AOG church and accepted Christ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 11:53PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 17, 2012 02:23AM

Never on a Sunday

Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

Dave Donaghy

October 05, 2008

FAITH prevents Israel Folau's family seeing him on his big day, but they will be praying for him.

Israel Folau is set to star in the biggest game of his life today, but his family will have to wait for his phone call after the full-time siren to find out how he went.

Just as they did last year, Folau’s devout Mormon parents, Eni and Amelia, will not watch today’s NRL grand final between Melbourne Storm and Manly.

They are effectively restricted from doing anything on Sundays that does not involve earning a living.

So Folau’s family faces an anxious two-hour wait to discover whether their son has claimed a second successive premiership.

Last year the young giant called his parents from the dressing room to deliver the good news about Storm’s 34-8 triumph over Manly, the club’s second premiership.

“It doesn’t suprise me at all (that they can’t watch),’’ Folau said.

“It happened last year and it’s been happening my whole life. It doesn’t really affect my game. I understand.’’

***Please provide a link. Copying entire articles violates copyright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 11:55PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 02:38AM

Fantastic. Nice that they gave his reason.

Date: September 17, 2012 08:31PM

Yeah I think its a pretty big thing to openly say I left because of the history. I wish this story had been bigger over here, because he was so looked up to as a good Mormon his opinion might actually get a few islanders having another look at the chuch.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 02:39AM

This is cool. I hope plenty Tongan families will jump to Assembly, or back to LMS or Independent Methodist, like Vai Fo'ou, or Catholic. Anything but Mo! ").

I guess the family is so serious about religion, that they became disenchanted when they found out Moism has been lying to them. Cool!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 03:03AM

Hope this encourages other Tongan LDS to look into the history of lies that the church has pushed on people.

Tongans are a smart but faithful culture. But when they are treated so poorly by being told so many lies disguised as "Faith Inspiring Stories" about being Lamanites and their ancestors skin being turned dark there is sure to be some anger at the deception and lies.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: September 17, 2012 10:03PM

"The 22-year-old instigated the change himself after researching the history of Mormonism, and said the move was easy to make."

Ahhh..history, the cojcolds worst enemy. That, and the internet, which puts that nasty history at everyone's fingertips.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.