Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TGC ( )
Date: December 27, 2010 04:11PM

I recently had the wonderful (sarcasm) opportunity to support my niece by attending her baptism. As usual, there was a talk on "receiving the gift of the holy ghost". Man...these talks are tough to sit through.

Back on topic...
I've never understood what the real difference between receiving the "gift of the HG" versus being "influenced by the HG". I've talked to my wife about it before, but I don't think she really understands the difference either. According to lds.org:

"All honest seekers of the truth can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost, leading them to Jesus Christ and His gospel. However, the fulness of the blessings given through the Holy Ghost are available only to those who receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and remain worthy.

After a person is baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders lay their hands on the person's head and, in a sacred priesthood ordinance, confirm him or her a member of the Church. As part of this ordinance, called confirmation, the person is given the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The gift of the Holy Ghost is different from the influence of the Holy Ghost. Before baptism, a person can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost from time to time and through that influence can receive a testimony of the truth. After receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, a person has the right to the constant companionship of that member of the Godhead if he or she keeps the commandments."

I've always been annoyed by this, because the LDS church seems to take ownership of the HG. Granted, I'm borderline atheist and don't believe much of this...but nevertheless, it's annoying.

I started thinking of this, because in the talk, the speaker made a comment of "Lindsay, I'm sure you're getting baptized because you know it is the right thing to do...I'm sure you've felt warm and fuzzy inside...that's the Holy Ghost testifying to you that it's true". So my question is "if the HG testified to you BEFORE you received the gift of the HG, why go through the process of receiving the gift of the HG"?

So, before "receiving the gift of the holy ghost", we can still be influenced by it? After receiving the gift, we have "constant companionship"? If we don't get the "gift" by the priesthood power, how often will the HG be present in our lives? Someone please explain the differences to me...

TGC

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: December 27, 2010 04:34PM

Receiving the Gift of the HG (GOTHG) simply means, as you indicated above, that you have a right to the constant influence of the HG. If you are a faithful follower, i.e. doing the best you can to keep all of the commandments, you can enjoy the HG every moment of the day. You can receive inspiration, warnings, feelings, thoughts, insights, and other gifts of the spirit contigent on your daily obediance.

Conversely, a good person, who has not been baptized and received the GOTHG, can have moments of communication and inspiration from the spirit, but these moments are fleeting.

I used to believe in this crap (x40 years) BIC, RM, etc. Now I know that since TSCC is built on shakey ground, with a very dark sinister underbelly of dastardly historical facts - this is the only way that they can dupe people into believing that "feelings" are divine. Once I left the cult, I realized that those same thoughts, feelings, insights, etc. never left, but were always apart of my inner psyche and makeup.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.