Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:30PM

While looking for references about possible extra-marital children of JS and the talk of Dr. Bennett's "taking care of problems" in regard to JS's flings, I discovered that Joe and Emma lost something like 5 of their kids in infancy. Just another thing that leads me to conclude he was just a typical early 19th century human, without any special knowledge or blessing from God. I'm sure TBM's & apologists would say that he was "being tested" and "prophets sacifice much" or that the babies were "specially blessed" and/or they were "needed in heaven". I know some apologists blame one death on a chill that led to one of the babies getting sick when JS was dragged out for the famous tarring and feathering incident (by "evil people" of course). If God wanted the earth to be replenished and seed to be raised up, I would think he would have that survival & protection thing worked out better, especially with The Prophet...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:46PM

Wait? Doesn't that just make them more extra-super special?

Whenever anyone lost a child I remember hearing everyone talking about how righteous those souls were that they didn't need to be tested like the rest of us...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 04:09PM

What, haven't you read the latest FARMS/FAIR work on this subject?

Joseph was commanded to raise up seed, afterall, and polygamy was the logical answer... Shoot, one FAIR piece I read said that as God's annointed, Joseph could do as he pleased...

Dang, I wanted to put this one up under my "Farmer Bullshipper" pseudonym, but right now I'm trying to adhere to ADMIN's "pick a nick and stick" commandment even at the expense of my art.

Ah well, we all must make sacrifices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.