Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: klanestro ( )
Date: September 30, 2010 02:40PM

The Romoan Catholic Church and every protestant organization is currently apostate (Romans with their infallible pope and wars he helped egg on etc.) and the protestants for well the same thing.

But What about the Eastern Orthodox.

I have been going to their services and am thinking about being christmated and joining.

They are maybe the ONLY church that has seen the apostasy of the Romans and protestants firsthand. It was really cool to read their version of the apostasy in their bible.

They do however believe Men can Become God's Thru diefication

From wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church

The Orthodox Church claims to trace its development back through the Byzantine or Roman empire, to the earliest church established by St. Paul and the Apostles. It practices what it understands to be the original ancient traditions, believing in growth without change. In non-doctrinal matters the church had occasionally shared from local Greek, Slavic and Middle Eastern traditions, among others, in turn shaping the cultural development of these nations.

The goal of Orthodox Christians from baptism, is to continually draw near to God throughout life. This process is called theosis or deification and is a spiritual pilgrimage in which each person strives to become more holy and more "Christ Like" within Jesus Christ.[5]

The Biblical text used by the Orthodox includes the Greek Septuagint and the New Testament. It includes the seven Deuterocanonical Books which are generally rejected by Protestants and a small number of other books that are in neither Western canon. Orthodox Christians use the term "Anagignoskomena" (a Greek word that means "readable", "worthy of reading") for the ten books that they accept but that are not in the Protestant 39-book Old Testament canon. They treat them on the same level as the others and use them in the Divine Liturgy.[6] Orthodox Christians believe scripture was revealed by the Holy Spirit to its inspired human authors. The scriptures are not, however, the source of the traditions associated with the Church but rather the opposite; The biblical text came out of that tradition.

The Holy Trinity is three, distinct, divine persons (hypostases), without overlap or modality among them, who share one divine essence (ousia)—uncreated, immaterial and eternal.[21] Orthodox doctrine regarding the Holy Trinity is summarized in the Nicene Creed (Symbol of Faith).[22]

In the 11th century what was recognised as the Great Schism took place between Rome and Constantinople, which led to separation from the Church of the West, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Eastern Byzantine Churches, now the Orthodox. There were doctrinal issues like the filioque clause and the authority of the Roman Pope involved in the split, but these were greatly exacerbated by political factors of both Church and state, and by cultural and linguistic differences between Latins and Greeks. Prior to 1054, the Eastern and Western halves of the Church had frequently been in conflict, particularly during the periods of Eastern iconoclasm and the Photian schism.[72]

The final breach is often considered to have arisen after the capture and sacking of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade in 1204; the final break with Rome occurred circa 1450. The sacking of Church of Holy Wisdom and establishment of the Latin Empire as a seeming attempt to supplant the Orthodox Byzantine Empire in 1204 is viewed with some rancour to the present day. In 2004, Pope John Paul II extended a formal apology for the sacking of Constantinople in 1204, which was importantly also strongly condemned by the Pope at the time (Innocent III, see reference at end of paragraph); the apology was formally accepted by Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinopl

Greek Orthodox Website.
http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7062

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 12:18AM

I’m Catholic, not Orthodox, but I can tell you that Orthodoxy absolutely does not teach that men become gods. You are TOTALLY misunderstanding the concept of “theosis” and you should ask a Priest to explain that one to you. Orthodox theology is sound.

Ditto the comment about Russian Orthodox. In my experience, they tend to be the most open minded, welcoming and “mainstream” of the Orthodox communities. The Greeks, on the other hand, are kind of like the Baptists of Orthodoxy. Also, some Orthodox communities are very ethnocentric and focused on one particular national group to the exclusion of everybody else. Be mindful of that, take your time, and look carefully before you leap.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 10:07AM

Not many are aware that the earliest Christian groups were formed in Anatolia, hiding in the rock churches, such as Capodicia. The Orthodox has sprung out of that and they have amazing scrolls and relics from early Christianity. I agree, they seem to have the relatively unadulterated version and a very powerful presence throughout the Eastern area. I saw paintings by Luke, hidden away behind glass in a monastery and lots of other original writings, scrolls and artifacts.

If I chose to follow another faith, I think Orthodoxy is the closest to original Christianity and could tempt me.

However, they do have a great deal of power nowadays. I was given a very profound blessing by an Orthodox priest, out of the blue, whilst talking to him about my late husband's death and lighting a candle in the little church. I found him to be one of the most humble priests I've ever met.

Briggy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.