Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 11:31PM

It seems to me that Mormons spend an awful lot of time trying to get my kids to participate in a religion few of them bother to live. I never saw such a people for having high standards they don't live up to -- but still want credit for having. So, help me out here. I'll give some examples and name the sin I think the Mormons are committing - you guys add more examples and correct me if I get the sin wrong. Or if it's more than one sin, point that out too. Here goes:

Judging - Not one friend bothered to ask why I wasn't at church. They decided I either was offended (probable) or had sinned. Truth was, I just had questions about some things I read on the internet and wanted a break to figure things out.

Bearing False Witness Against Thy Neighbor - I know they shared this opinion amongst themselves. One "friend" actually admitted someone told her I was offended and because of it, was not letting my kids attend. Both statements were lies. Bearing false witness is on their Top 10 no-no list with adultery. It's my opinion that this makes them no better than an adulterer.

Offending God's Little Ones - Jesus said ""And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck." Mark 9:42 NIV By teaching my children NOT to follow the 5th Commandment "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you," (Exodus 20:1-17) they are causing my little ones to sin. They are doing this by going against my religious beliefs and convictions and trying to skim off my children behind my back for their nefarious purposes.

Breaking the Articles of Faith - Number 11 clearly states "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." By shoving their religion down the throats of those who make it clear they don't want it, they turn their backs on the teachings of their Prophet Joseph Smith, the man who they claim to praise.

Breaking the Second Greatest Commandment - "Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 37-39 NIV. Mormons DECIDEDLY do not love their neighbors as themselves...they only love them as far as they are translated correctly. In other words, they'll be your friend if there is a chance of baptizing you but will dump you unceremoniously when they are sure you won't join their church. They shun inactives and exmormons as if they were unclean, showing nothing of the love their Savior COMMANDED them to have. Worse, they cause their kids to sin by teaching them to break this commandment by avoiding innocent children who don't share their same religious beliefs.

Those are just for starters. I know I'm forgetting some. But if they aren't going to live their standards, why should I want to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:01AM

The MLMs, the many stories we hear of Mormon business people who won't pay bills.

They'll sell out their best friends to get a better deal.

Posted by: loveslids ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 01:38AM

Fornicating. I would imagine a huge percentage of youth are having sex.
My 2 young adult daughters shared a house with another girl in 2007. This girl was tbm and recently divorced. Married a whole year,in the temple,and 22 years old. She brought lds men to the house all the time and they stayed over. My girls would go down for breakfast in the morning and would often see some Joe in his underwear at the table. They hated it and moved. The girl married,in the Temple,a year later.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 07:37AM

They have many "sins" not covered in their doctrine like poor meeting attendance,not hiding shoulders,not kneeling for certain prayers, worshipping books and other objects, not working hard enough at church standing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 07:38AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:19AM

My favourite sin is simony..... defined as: the sin of buying or selling ecclesiastical preferments, benefices, etc.
can you say 'Tithing'?

Date: December 29, 2010 04:27PM

No two ways about it. They can call it "obedience" and "sacrifice" all they want but the bottom line is, if you don't pay up, you won't get a temple recommend and if you can't go to the temple, you can't go into Mormon heaven. Period. Pay up or go home.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:47AM

- Humiliating someone before the person's friends
- Stabbing a person's back

and then pretending like everything is hunky-dory (after both) and acting "understanding" which is even more humiliating. And telling you you have no right to get offended, because that makes YOU the sinner. So THEIR sin just disappears, poof.

I'm not sure what to refer to, just think that that kind of behavior is way un-Christlike and un-loving. OK, you can refer to the commandment in New Testament "Love thy neighbor &c" right?

Date: December 29, 2010 04:34PM

He has ADD and sometimes he will do things that really make a mess. I try to be patient, but sometimes it's really frustrating and I get mad and need some space. He comes after me, pestering me for instant forgiveness instead of just letting me settle down. And if I don't immediately forgive him, no matter what he did, then I suddenly become the bad guy and he starts getting insulting. Like I'm a bad person for being offended so anything he does after that to bully me back in line and make me keep sweet is totally justified. What HE did is irrelevant. The fact I didn't let him get away with it, or at least didn't instantly forgive him when he tossed off a half-serious "sorry" is the real sin. It's just so MORMON but if I tell him that, he gets really annoyed.

Thankfully, we've learned to handle our arguments better - leaving the church has helped me get a lot of perspective - so these run ins are rare nowadays and getting rarer. But back in the day, we almost divorced a couple of times from that attitude.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:48AM

MANIPULATION -

Targeting potential converts and claiming to "love" them, while pulling strings and setting up phony situations behind their backs to get them to join.
Also, the withholding of pertinent information from the victim.

This type of emotional fraud is despicable.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:54AM

Okay, these are only sins in the Gay World, but they still count!

And you can throw in Mormon "Cuisine" for good measure.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:35PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.