Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonExMo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:17AM

I was married for 20+ years and divorced, and now remarried. We will celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary tomorrow. I keep yelling my ex's name in my sleep and its making my new wife mad. I keep telling her that it means absolutely nothing. It's always benign stuff like, "XXX did you check on the baby", etc. Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:22AM

...and didn't she leave school many years ago? Life is like that. Some things stick with us.

Your new wife knew she was marrying a man with a history. Maybe she can develop a sense of humor about it. When you yell, "XXX, did you check on the baby?" she can respond, "NO! But new wife did. Isn't she wonderful?"

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:11PM

That is good Summer. Perfect solution!

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:22AM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:39AM

Some things can be annoying, but wise people know not to show that they are annoyed.

We aren't responsible for what happens in our dreams. If we were, I'm a killer and all manner of crazy things, and so is your annoyed wife; but you aren't hanging her over hers.

Dreams are a way for our minds to lessen the amount of the normal controls that hold us back from acting in certain ways, and go exploring. It's a way to test and try things, and see how we'd feel about it. We get to learn while asleep. We get more done than if we really turned off when asleep.

The mind pulls information from all over to make up scenarios. I can tell when bits of mine come from TV shows, work, conversations with other people, etc. Also, when something is stressful, it seems to work into a dream on some level.

You had a lot of years of marriage that ended. Your mind has an almost unlimited amount of material to draw from that comes from that time period. Part of your mind is perhaps still figuring out that things don't need to be kept track of from that life. We all have a reminder calendar running in our heads keeping track in the background of all the things that should be attend to, and we don't get to turn it off at will. Yours is still running, as is most of ours.

I've been remarried for 8 years, and last night I had a dream about my ex, and told my wife about it. It wasn't a problem.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:47AM

THAT is the height of denial. Since you admit here that it's our minds that make the dreams, it's tantamount to saying we're not responsible for what happens in our minds. It doesn't matter that the dreams may originate in the subconscious--who allowed all that junk into the subconscious anyway? Actually, the subconscious is built by fleeting thoughts that are instantly discarded (but discarded into this repository), and we ARE that thinker.

There is a big difference between being responsible and being to blame for something. You are right in that we are not to blame for our subconscious, whose scenarios are illusions which never happened. But an essential point of therapy, if one ever wants to control the mind, is to be aware of its deep contents and how we are constantly feeding it by our momentary thoughts.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:42AM

Tell her to get some sleep herself, and to be glad you don't call out the ex's name during sex. ;) And at least when you say the ex's name it is something benign.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:26AM

It means your subconscious is still working through a very stressful time in your past.

Very similar to the "Vietnam Syndrome".

Before that it was called being shell-shocked.

Now we call it post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:24AM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:32AM

Sweet Jesus! if you did that in MY bed you'd be sleeping on the couch!!

;o)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:34AM

My husband often has nightmares about his ex. He tells me about them all the time. One time, I made the mistake of mentioning her when we were in the sack. Let's just say his sudden reaction proved to me that I have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:40AM

Both BF and I are sleep-talkers, walkers, and snorers. I've had insomnia and para-insomnia for years. You can tell her it's not something you can help, as it is a condition in the sleep center of the brain and it also can run in the family. 3 out 6 of the children in my family suffer from sleep disorders.

Alcohol, stress, and medications can make these conditions worse. I tend to sleep-walk after imbibing. There are case of people sleep-driving, holding a regular conversations, cooking, eating, cleaning after taking Ambien.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 11:41AM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:42AM

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:10PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:06PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:12PM

My friend's wife cleaned the kitchen while on Ambien. I have no doubts I would end up one of those people who drove while asleep. It does odd stuff to some people.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:10PM

Your new wife must understand the brain. We think of the past often as we go through our daily life. She will have to adjust. Soon you will be recalling things you and her have done. It will pass most likely. But if not, it is not your fault.

Posted by: Rolly T ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 03:10PM

Odd, I lost my wife of 18 years, but don't ever yell her name as far as I know. I have been guilty of looking for her when in a bind and remembering she is not there.

I would assume an EX wife is different from one who passed on.

Posted by: jobim (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 03:43PM

If your divorce was an ugly one, and you still feel resentful, you need to de-program your subconscious. One of the ways I found to work is to repeat to yoursellf a few times, every day, a short phrase saying that you forgive her, that you ask her for forgiveness, and that you wish her happiness. Do that for a month or so, and see if it helps. It's also good to forgive oneself when you feel terribly guilty. I hope it works out.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 08:51PM

My fiance once told me in his sleep that he wasn't human. Am I worried? No, because it's a dream and has nothing to do with conscious thought.

No offense to your wife, but this is a ridiculous thing for her to be upset about. Unless you're clearly having wet dreams while calling out the ex's name, I don't see why she's getting her panties in a bunch.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:17PM

That's really pretty funny! Tell her to lighten up!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 04:05AM

I didn't sleep too well after that...

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:49AM

Is she hawt?

Posted by: AnonExMo ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:26PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.