Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:06PM

I saw it a few days ago. It was very, very disturbing. The film gave an accurate portrayal of how LDS church acts more like a totalitarian political organisation rather than a religious group. In the film they have everything from "1984" -- Newspeak, forcing members to make "sacrifices," even a "Room 101" torcher chamber.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 29, 2010 11:20PM

I should have also remembered to mention Machiavellian tactics and intrigue reminiscent of the papacies of the Borgias.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:25PM

Where do you get this film? Is it a DVD I could rent?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 09:25PM by think4u.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:51PM

Date: December 29, 2010 11:15PM

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:48PM

I was glad to see such documentation done and made available for anyone, everyone, to review. I was disappointed that it didn't get more circulation and that the media pretty much ignored it. The church kind of just shrugged and said, "So what". Still it's great to have the documentation though, from the distribution of it, it seemed to be preaching to the choir. I got my copy through Amazon.com and have shared shared it around.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 11:16PM

When they said that Chris Buttars had been a Mormon Bishop TWICE, I was disgusted. When the Legislator defended Buttars' comments, I was appalled. Of course, there is no separation of church and state in Utah.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:56AM

Overall though it was pretty good. Seriously all that the director needed to do was play the audio of Ballard and Cook speaking to the membership about what was expected. Cult-like.

On the Buttars front, the clips made me think of something I heard my TBM wife's VT companion say. She said "He's only getting in trouble for saying what we all (Mormons) think."

My jaw hit the floor. These people are bat-shit crazy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.