Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 11:37AM

First it was her husband saying his sons' service to their country was helping him to campaign for office.

Now she's saying that her sons volunteeriing to spend two years converting others to their faith, is the same as other mothers' sons dying in service to our country? Oh, I get it, they're both VOLUNTEERS, so it's EXACTLY the same thing!/sarc

Even though her sons all came back, and the liklihood that they would was astronomically high, and their "service" only benefited them and their church, and was all about gaining converts (and tithes) to the church, and not real service or of benefit to those who they "worked" with--as well as being NOTHING like real military service, AT ALL.

And she tried to say that a boy who is selfish as an 18-19-20 year old boy who goes on a mission is as dedicted to this country as a soldier? IS SHE KIDDING?

I AM FUMING.

That old, familiar HEARTSELL (tm) technique of the LDS church in action, folks. She was coached, bigtime, and by someone who must be gloatingly proud to call themselves a professional liar, right about now.

ETA: She's on the view spouting this crap right now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 11:38AM by bookratt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 11:48AM

I love collecting the pathetic attempts at patriotism spouted by these children of entitlement...

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 11:49AM

Wow... that is just despicable.

Date: October 18, 2012 11:54AM

She was just saying it on today's The View talk show, less than ten minutes ago. I am not sure how to link to that, unless I can find a news story that picked it up and put it in print.

Do you have FIOS? Can you rewind it back if you have access to your TV right now?

Posted by: ss ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 11:57AM

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 12:02PM

Yeah, I remember those 6:00am wake-up drills in the MTC when we began calisthenics, then trained in the trenches holding grenades and artillery. When we arrived in combat land, that's where the real power of warfare began: friends getting shot, maimed, killed, and killing others. Returning home has been difficult too because not many agencies treat disabled vets in a positive light (thinking of medical care and government benefits plus job support).

Oh man, my mission was brutal in France and Switzerland, similar to what the Romney boys experienced. I'm sure their mother knew this well.

*rolls eyes*

ETA: This thread is on-topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 12:04PM by toto.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 12:07PM

She also said on The view that she is called the "Mitt Stabilizer." She says when he is on the campaign trail and gets too Hyped up (I think that was the term she used), that they know he needs some Ann Time to settle him down. Said the kids noticed it while growing up. Like the mom who settles the child down. Josh Romney said, Mitt unloads all his stress on Ann, then he is able to go on his way.

My take. Mitt probably was a difficult father to live with. Besides the pressures of mormonism and being perfect, I imagine when the kids got into trouble he could be very demeaning and shaming. I can see Ann having to "stabilize" things.

My TBM brother is sooo much like Mitt, even his "discussion" techniques. Quickly gets defensive and tries to over talk etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 12:33PM by ladybug.

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 12:18PM

When my SIL was in Iraq with the USAF, my daughter was offended by a tbm aquaintance claiming that her missionary boyfriend was in far more danger. He was in Missouri.

Must be that extermination order made it so dangerous.

Clueless, aren't they?

Date: October 18, 2012 12:22PM

They used the word "crazy" for Mittens when she is needed as the Mitt Stabilizer. She said he dumps, dumps, dumps on her; she walks in the room happy but leaves with his dumps on her mind. Josh said he vents and moves on. I get what they're both saying--but the "dumps on her and leaves" imagery gave me the visual of him crapping all over her then moving on, leaving her covered in his dumps.

Josh was reminded by someone off camera that there is one person who may be more important to a boy (actually, to a grown man as all the Romney sons are)other than his dad.

Like, um, his mom? You know, the lady sitting right there in front of you, who raised you? Josh jokingly said "thanks for saving me", to whoever it was that prompted him to say that, but it sounded like he was peeved that he got caught having to be reminded of it.

Sorry folks. I saw no humanity in either of them that wasn't scripted and I did not like the phony, breathless quality to ARs voice, or that peevishness in JRs. They should have just satyed home.

Her husband will move heaven and earth to help people? Really? Which ones? Doing what? And who are these at risk youth she volunteers with--no org name mentioned, no place she did it mentioned, no specific thing she ever did mentioned?

Particularly did not like ARs little brush-off "joke" at the beginning, where someone thanked her for coming on The View, despite the sharp- tongued women and she said "no, he said sharp and YOUNG".

Yeah, I know, I didn't laugh at that, either.

Date: October 18, 2012 12:35PM

I think it was Whoopie that reminded him...

And I could not even imagine Mitt against the women of The View. I really wanted to see him on there. Im sure his PR peeps knew it would not be a good thing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 12:36PM by ladybug.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 12:26PM

Not even close...

I got to spend 2 years in the Dakotas and Minnesota. Not exactly the most exciting places in the world but I never worried about dying.

My son's good friend spent two tours of duty in Afghanistan. Besides the horrible living conditions, he was literally spat upon by the people he was supposed to be helping. In addition, he knew that quite a few of them would like to kill him.

I think the deferrments tell the whole story. I don't think anyone sought or got a deferrment from the missionary service to serve in the military.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 01:07PM

Ann Romney is as delusional as the rest of the Mormon cult.

Out of their five sons, not one of them served in our armed forces.
Yes I know, neither did our current president or Mitt Romney.

But come on, as much as the Romneys try to wrap themselves in the flag now, you'd think at least one in their family could have served their country instead of their cult.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 03:15PM

Romney is 64. He was born in 1948. He was 18 in 1966, during the Vietnam draft. Like Bush, he had a powerful father that kept him out of Vietnam.

Obama is 50. He was born in 1962. He was 10 when the Vietnam War ended.

Romney's kids did not face a draft, but neither did they volunteer for Afghanistan or Iraq. Neither did I, but I was in the MTC with Tagg and never thought it was the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 03:15PM by axeldc.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:09PM

I agree with you. If Obama was older, he would have surely served in Vietnam. He did not come from means so he would have been drafted and served.UNLIKE, Romney...

Date: October 18, 2012 01:16PM

Didn't she say something like we all serve our country in different ways? So how was converting folks in other countries helping our country.

Another point was that she said her and Mitt did not see each other for almost 3 years due to his year at Stanford then his mission. Didn't I read here that she went to France for some of her school and they were able to see each other?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 01:16PM by ladybug.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 01:36PM

Utah has almost the lowest recruitment rate of any state in the country. It's been that was since I've watched it over the last decade at least.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=125879

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 01:38PM

I'm an RM and 2-tourer.
I've known many RMs in uniform, one guy was a bishop.
One active-LDS RM friend was killed in action.
I'm an exmo so of course I see being an RM differently now, but I wonder what still-TBM RMs in uniform think about the suggestion that a mission is akin to military service...especially by such conspiciously economically advantaged missionaries like the Romney sons. And, I can still remember what I might have thought when I was a still-TBM RM in Iraq (I was exmo/atheist before touring Afghanistan).

A mission is so different.
Don't get me wrong...I think someone who believes the military is bullsh1t on conscientious grounds may have a great argument. I'm kinda dismayed and disillusioned myself...'nuther story.

But even as a TBM I would have admitted that a mission and the military are widely disparate.

I also think there's some disenginuity because military mormons don't get to say that their military tour counts as their mission.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 01:39PM

I think she was subtly trying to deflect that her husband was a war dodger.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 02:13PM

Was it on The View that she said this? I didn't hear it. I had to grit my teeth at all the long commercial breaks, especially when I'm taking time out from work, and I seriously don't enjoy five women all talking at once. But. I didn't exactly hear Ann Romney equate LDS missionary service with service in the armed forces. Did I miss that statement or was it more of a suggestion or a way you interpreted it? I thought she just said that while it is true that neither her husband nor her boys served in the military they did all serve missions for their church. I didn't see that as equating the two. But maybe you saw/heard something I didn't.

I haven't heard her speak in a setting like this before. I heard her in a CNN interview once with her husband, in part, and heard some of her convention speech. I thought she seemed very nervous, starting with not ever seeming to get physically comfortable on the couch, and including not finding words she wanted, not completing thoughts, and not really making her point. Barbara Walters had to re-state her thoughts to bring out the points Ann was trying to make. Ann looked startled, like she thought she'd already said that, but she hadn't, just kind of babbled her responses. Very nervous, very intense.

I too was blown away by the disclosures about stabilizing Mitt. He gets "wired" and needs her stabilizing influence and all their sons know this and noted it growing up? (So it's nothing new in the campaign). And Mitt dumps his stress on her and leaves and she flopped her head back on the couch to show how she feels when he's done.

"But that's what marriage is about", she said.

Really?

Sounds distinctly one-sided and undesirable to me.

As someone else said, this is the guy who might have his mitts on the big red button?

YOW.

I noted that Ann seemed more animated and comfortable talking about the charities she would support when the opportunity arises, like MS and breast cancer, and disadvantaged youth, but even then it seemed so RS.

I don't criticize her for not being something she isn't - I likely couldn't do well in such a setting myself. It would be nerve-wracking, to say the least. She's made no secret of being reluctant to go on this journey with Mitt and stated categorically on The View today that they wouldn't be doing it again.

I don't think that she or their sons really help Mitt's cause.

Before seeing this I have had negative thoughts about him but now it's much worse. Contrary to the loving couple and great partners they have been portrayed as being it sounds like she carries much of the burden. She doesn't seem strong enough. It doesn't help me feel any respect for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 02:15PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 03:43PM

Here's a link to the story and to a video clip from the view that highlights the bit about mission=military. Scroll down to see the video clip.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/18/ann-romney-mormon-missions-and-u-s-military-are-different-ways-of-serving/

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 03:44PM

I think being on The View would make me so ill, I would blow both ways. I really don't blame anyone for dodging that show.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 03:46PM

She absolutely disgusts me...freakin morgbot.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:12PM

What a complete insult to those who have served their country. Missions = serving one's country? I think not.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 04:54PM

"So give me all your troubled thoughts
And baggage you can't handle, no
We'll gladly take it off your back (we soak up lots of pain), yeah " - "Pain" Oingo Boingo

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:11PM

When I worked with a group of TBM's,,they was always reminding me that I did not serve a "mission". I told them I spent 6 years in the Navy defending thier ass so they could knock on doors and irritate people. They didn't think that was funny.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:21PM

This just shows that politicians are whores. They sell out to the highest bidder, and they never the facts get in the way of a good story.

The sick thing is that Mormons are clueless about how offensive this is. I have never served my country, nor do I plan on doing so. But going to a safe country to recruit members for a cult is nothing close to picking up a weapon and going in to a hot zone.

T-Bone

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:44PM

I served for 29 years. I came home alive. Many did not.

For anyone to suggest a mission in any way is the equivalent of military service is an insult to veterans everywhere.

Shame in them.

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 09:49PM

+ 1

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:46PM

me like she was comparing missions to military. Missions should not have even been mentioned AT ALL.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 05:51PM

My sister said something similar to me when my son-in-law deployed to Afghanistan last winter.
Mormon missionaries have to be away from their family and friends for two entire years. Son-in-law was only going to be gone for nine months--not so long. And some of the missionaries get shot at too, so it's just as dangerous for them as for soldiers.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 06:14PM

I had occasional nightmares afterwards about being called on a mission again. Never had that about the military.

So in a sense, Ann was right. However, I don't think she actually meant "do you have any idea how badly we treat our missionaries?"

I'd put it down as Ann Romney lurching uncontrollably into the truth.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 07:56PM

I even see evidence of it here on the board. Mormons say "serving" a mission all the time and never give a second thought to just who it is they are serving. They think military-service=Mormon mission service. Duh...

On a much finer point, does anyone here realize that typically, Christian missionaries don't use the word as a noun? You don't here people other than mormons referring to going on a mission as "my mission" or "his or her mission". This is a Mormon turn of phrase.

Just pointing it out.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 07:57PM

Posted by: BadSheep ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 08:13PM

Between my husband and I, we have a collective 10 years in the army. My husband was in Iraq in 2004, and I went to the Pentagon after 9-11. I am deeply offended by Ann's comments. How can she believe her son's missions could even begin to compare to our service? Not to mention those we served with who came home in body bags...

I am just absolutely irate right now. Between this and Tagg's comments about wanting to punch the president...grrrr!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 08:51PM

This shows how out of touch the Romney family is with the rest of American society. After all, a Mormon is more likely to return home alive than someone in the military.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 08:56PM

Ann Romney is gonna need a 'BIG ARSE' makeover IF her husband gets into office. She is definitely NOT 'First Lady' in the looks dept, nor will she ever be...and the way she dresses. Etc, etc,....The only thing I like about her is her horse. Even that horses arse is better looking than her. Take a picture of that horses butt, and I guarantee that it will look better than her on any day of the year!

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: October 18, 2012 08:58PM

Missions aren't even 1/10000 equal to being a volunteer in the Peace Corps, let alone equal to military service.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.