Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:38PM

My internet service has some sort of problem right now. This is the only site I can connect to. I can't connect to any other sites. Weird.

It's amazing how disconnected you feel when you're so used to having the "whole world" just a few clicks away.

Ah well, at least I'm still connected to ya'll. My ever-faithful exmo friends :)

TG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:41PM

Hokay, maybe Ebay, but still ...

Timothy

Date: December 30, 2010 03:49PM

Nope, not even getting ebay.

I'll give Comcast a couple of hours then start bugging them.

TG

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:49PM

But somehow, I don't think you want to hear it. ;->

Date: December 30, 2010 03:53PM

It's weird that I'm getting nothing else. I'm using a desk top right now, but I tried our laptop and it's not even connecting to this site.

Everything is plugged in as it should be.

I DO want to hear your perfectly good technical reason.

Atheist TG :)

Date: December 30, 2010 04:14PM

We think of this site as "exmoromon.org", a name, but the Internet thinks of this site as "216.64.99.48", an address.

In order for the Internet to transmit your request for information to exmormon,org, it must first translate the name to an address. This is done with a DNS (domain name system) server.

When you first try to connect to exmormon.org, your commputer must first send a request for the address of exmormon.org to a DNS server somewhere on the interment.

Having the computer look up the address each time you want to send a request to "exmormon.org" is a slow process. So, to speed things up, your computer maintains a cache of addresses that you have used locally on your computer for a short period of time (it is a short period of time because addresses can and do change).

If the DNS servers that your systems used "crashed" when you only had "exmormon.org" in your cache, then that would be the only address your computer will know about until the servers are back up and running.

Exmormon,org is configured so its address will remain in your cache for 14400 seconds, or about 4 hours. After 4 hours, it will drop from your computer's cache and your computer will then request the address from a DNS server again.

Again, this is a possible explanation, I would not know for sure unless I was at your ISP.

Date: December 30, 2010 04:22PM

I do try to describe technical issues in a way that non-technical people will understand, but I am not aways successful.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 05:45PM

She works for a wireless internet provider and right now she is busy dealing with all these people what got game stuff for the XMas and wants their techs to come out and hook it up for free.

Date: December 30, 2010 05:54PM

You tell your mom to keep on keepin' on, and tell her to tell those folks who want stuff for free that she's going to sic her StalkerDog on them (jk) ;)

Also, tell her thanks for her input!

TG

Date: December 30, 2010 04:30PM

That may be what happened. I was connected to this site, then I pulled up another tab and haven't been able to get anything else. I'd been to several other sites today, but maybe it's able to find the address since I was still hooked up to exmo when the server went down.

And yes, it makes sense to me. You described it very well. Thanks!

TG

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:11PM

Thanks for that MJ. Some of us need details like that.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:55PM

Date: December 30, 2010 04:00PM

Apparently so. Or maybe Scot Proctor read what I wrote about him and his Meridian Magazine and used his priesthood power to jinx my internet service ;o

TG

Date: December 30, 2010 05:50PM

I had decided to give Comcast a couple of hours since I know that on occasion systems go down for whatever reasons. I just called them and all they had to do was reset my modem. It was done electronically over the phone without me even talking with anyone. All's fine now, so yeah!

TG

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:03AM

It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to Google Search the Mormon Church.

After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down, opened my laptop, and began to offer up the desires of my heart to Google Search.

I had scarcely done so, that immediately the “Strengthening the Members Committee” gathered around me and bound my fingers so I could not type into the Google Search. Thick darkness gathered around my display so I could barely see the Google Search box to type into and it seemed as if my laptop and I were doomed to sudden destruction.

As I was about to abandon myself to destruction and to the despair of being sucked back into the Morg in total ignorance, I exerted all my strength to use my mouse and keyboard to call upon Google.

It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the committee which held me bound, the darkness did flee, and my screen appeared before me once again.

No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to surf, that I typed in and asked “How shall I know of the truthfulness of the Mormon church?”

My screen now began to shine with such glory and brightness that it defied all description and its glory did shine above the noon-day sun.

And it came to pass that writing of a curious nature appeared upon my screen where it was written to go to EXMORMON.ORG. Then a voice of thunder came through my laptop speakers and said “this is my beloved website. Read ye its wisdom”.

I went to this website and feasted upon such enlightenment and truth that I was overcome with such joy that I fell upon my knees giving thanks to the Google god and have praised his name forever more.

Date: December 31, 2010 11:16PM

Posted by: phyllis ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:26PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.