Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 03:41PM

My pops was one of those Franklin Planner types. He always set goals, and tried to push the goal-setting onto his kids.

I hate goals. I bristle at the very thought of someone asking me what my resolutions are, or wanting to know about my goals.

Sometimes, I think it's because I'm afraid of failing, or that I reject the idea that I have to live according to someone else's standards (where most of my goals originated).

I'm starting to realize that it's just because I have enough pressure in my day without worrying about anything long-term.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 05:39PM

My resolution for the coming year, for example, is to do everything in my power NOT to become a billionaire.

Unless something totally unexpected occurs, I guarantee it will come to pass.

Timothy

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 06:08PM

makes their end of the year predictions for 2010. They are always right on. Or, when they set their goals for 2010 on New Year's Eve of 2010, going into 2011. It's hysterical and scarily accurate. ;)

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 06:39PM

Hey, so far so good!

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 07:40PM

I'm not the New Years Resolution type of person, but when I do make goals I make them ones that force me to do things that I want to do but keep putting off. Nothing too big, but I just write them down somewhere so I can see them and remember that those are the things I should be doing with my free time.

I agree, though, trying to use other people's goals as your own is no good.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:21PM

...they weren't really MY goals. They were invented by my parents and p-hood leaders. Once I got outside that system I realized I did have goals -- my own.

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:28PM

I just looked at the missionary discussions I had on my mission, and what do you know - it's all about "helping" other people set goals, and "encouraging" them to follow through. I'd forgotten about all that, but it really is an integral part of LDS Inc. Setting goals and meeting them is how they make you obey while thinking it was your choice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.