Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 11:21AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovostudent ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 11:32AM

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 09:06AM

Chucking Jesus?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 11:43AM

They are worth about the same as when Adam got them...

You see although Joseph restored the originally temple ordinance he mistranslated this section - or rather he missed a sentence:

Do you sell your signs and tokens for money?

I do not sell them for money. I tried, but no one was buying.

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 12:25PM

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 12:29PM

If it were very old subway tokens, perhaps some collector would pay something. But as for temple tokens, nothing and they cost a heck of a lot more when you got them!

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 12:49PM

You may conduct a garage sale and offer your old 'Tokens' albums and CDs for a price to those who stop by. They can indeed be sold. Clean them up and make them presentable and people will find them desirable enough to offer you yeah, even money for them.

Don't be surprised if some people try to talk down the price of your sentimentaly valuable Tokens however. Those people are all about business and not into the true spirit of doo-wop.

Remain steadfast and firm in your price.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 12:51PM

But there's a glut of them, so you probably won't get enough for them to cover shipping.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 01:00PM

Put an add in your local paper offering to tutor non-initiates in the S&T for say, 15$ Arrange to do this for people in groups. so that you have 5, 10, 20 at a time.

To enlarge the scope, recreate (authentically) an endowment ceremony, where people rent the temple garb and all take part. Kind of a mormon dude ranch thing for non mormons. Wine tasting and loud laughter to follow. Worth I should say $75- 100, not including the wine.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 01:01PM

Video game arcade? Someone took my first answer...Chuck E. Cheese.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 01:02PM

Does it mean that at one time Mormons believed that you could tell someone the signs and tokens from the temple for cash and that person could use them and be saved in heaven? If not, then what does it really mean?

I think you should try Craigslist.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 01:19PM

According to the temple, any non-mormon Minister.

Posted by: Justwonttoknow ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 12:23PM

After reading story of judges decision on transit tokens refunds I believe that when I bought these tokens I then had a legal contract to ride what gives transit authority the wright to deminish my contract and depleat the value of the dollars I spented what happened to owed voice remember us the same people that keep your wheels turning with ower money on a daily basis question who took the pay off this time
Answer already know who paided for it
Good luck

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 01:26PM

Can I sell them for real estate instead of money? Can I get a mall for them?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 01:37PM

I'm not sure what the tokens look like but... an idea...

I have a pair of earrings that are made from old coins. Sort of like this:
http://girldir.com/files/images/British-Coin-Earrings.preview.jpg

Would temple token earrings be an interesting exmo fashion statement, or what?

Date: October 20, 2012 11:44PM

Tokens is the hokey name they give the secret handshakes and passwords.

Posted by: Rita Walker ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:00PM

The email is optional

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 02:45PM

I never thought of this! Getting on Ebay right away...

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 04:52PM

The internet has killed the secondary market for signs and tokens, because one can get them out there for free now.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 12:31PM

Killed 'em dead. That, and the fact that the NY subway no longer uses tokens.

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 05:09PM

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 11:56PM

Does the bus still take tokens?

Date: October 21, 2012 12:02AM

I'm totally going to try to slip the bus driver the patriarchal grip, next time I am on one, in order to see if that get's me a ride for free.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 12:36AM

OMG that is funny because I have a tbm realative and a jack-mo realative who work for UTA

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 12:47PM

If I could get back the exact amount of money I've paid out in tithing, fast offerings, and money wasted on church books, temple clothes, etc. I'd make a pact with the Devil and never speak ill of the Lord's anointed again. But then any pact with the Devil would certainly allow me the option to keep speaking ill of the Fossil 15. ; )

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:08PM

Are you so sure that a pact with the devil would not be a pact with the fossil fifteen?

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 01:09PM

You can only buy tokens and they always cost 10% for life- 10% of your income, 10% time, 10% of your sanity etc.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 01:14PM

Go to Washington, Oregon or Colorado and you can trade your money for tokens :)

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:40PM

Adam's words in the temple about not selling his tokens, are just a cheap sales trick to make the tokens appear to actually be worth something, so much that he wouldn't sell them. Like everything else the church puts out, they're only of value to the church.... as tools of control over those who went through that terrible ceremony.

For those who don't know, the pre-1990 endowment ceremony included grusome death threats referred to as "penalties" in the ceremony. Three of the four tokens (each token symbolized by a different secret handshake) included a different penalty that you state that you would rather "...suffer my life to be taken", than to reveal it. Then you act out at citing each vow you make, by symbolicly having your throat cut open, your body slashed open at the waist level, having your body slashed open at the chest level. You act out those gestures on yourself, during each vow, while speaking those life-forefeiting words.

Is it any wonder that these tokens have no value? The church should have to pay for psychological damages to everyone who experienced that awful ceremony. If you know of any older temple-endowed church members with psychological problems related to their religion, now you know why.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:17AM

They aren't worth shit aince they're all over the internet for free.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:19AM

It's been long enough that I might have mixed some of these pieces of the vow up with other tokens. But the format is similar for all four tokens. So here, I will give out a token here for free. Use only your thumb and index finger to grasp the other person's hand between their thumb and index finger. This is the "first token of the aaronic priesthood" (name), and the sign is the actual secret handshake grasp type.

The vow is performed as follows. Extend your right thumb, and place it under your left ear. Say the following words, while drawing your thumb down accross your own throat in a slashing motion, up to just beneath your right ear. Emphasize the words "my life" whild gesturing the slashing motion. "Rather than reveal the first token of the aaronic priesthood, along with its accompanying name, sign, and penalty, I would suffer my life to be taken".

Why pay for something when you can get it for free?, especially when it is useless to begin with. Don't forget, this is sacred (not). So don't tell anyone, least they use these secrets to sneak in to the celestial kingdom unworthy. How stupid.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 09:47AM by azsteve.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 09:29AM

So now that the secrets are all OUT THERE available to the public on the Internet, it seems like a lot of its "special-ness" would be lost.

To me, one of the WEIRDEST things is that everyone gets the same name on any given day. Won't that cause confusion in the next life. You call out your wife's name and 3500 women reach out?

They should totally revamp that with modern technology. Each person would create their own temple account and input their fingerprint. Then, as they reach the place in the ceremony where they are to be given their name, they would place their hand on a sort of Liahona-looking ball or something, which would record their fingerprint identity, and output a randomly-selected, more contemporary and unique name, which would display on a screen to the temple worker, who would then reveal your special and TOTALLY unique CK User name, like BrigAnne38, or Neefai4505. That way, there'd be NO CONFUSION in the next life as to who goes to who.

Just trying to help out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 09:30AM by seekyr.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:15PM

Craigslist.

Other Susan

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:29PM

then run off with the money.

That's what Joseph Smith would do...

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:35PM

No, Joseph would use them to pay strippers and then leave the club before the girls realized they were worthless.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 02:47AM

I'll trade you for my Round-Tuit.

Haven't you always wanted to get a Round-Tuit?

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 03:14AM

The only people selling tokens for money is the Church itself.
And they ain't cheap.

Everyone else can get them off the internet for free.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 03:17AM

Well, that all depends ...

Has it a name?

Will you give it to me?

Or do I have to pay for the name as well?

And how many Points of Fellowship come with?

And if I buy your tokens, will you just hand them to me, or will you make me tell you a Knock Knock Knock joke first?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 03:21AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 09:23AM

Sorry, but I may have inadvertently ruined the market for you.
See, I've been giving mine away -- to anyone interested -- for almost 30 years.

When you can get something for free, and it's rather worthless (other than as something to get a good laugh out of) to begin with, there isn't much demand for paid versions.

:)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 10:14AM

This is funny because right after the very first time I went through the temple I was feeling so awful (like I was consumed by Satan) because I knew damn well that I'd sell those stupid tokens to the highest bidder and that I would NOT suffer my life to be taken to protect them.

I prayed and prayed and prayed for the Lard to help me make sense of it. I just kept getting the "answer" (i.e., what I'd been told) that I just had to keep going and soon it would all make sense. So in the space of 5 years, I made myself go 4 more times and each time less understanding and more creepy feelings. And by the last time when we were poor married students at BYU, I was like "where's the stupid guy who wants to buy these tokens, I could sure use the damn money." Kept a recommend for a number of years after that to be able to attend weddings but never did another endowment.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 03:07PM

It would be like trying to sell a time share. Only fools are buying, and the fools have been captured by Mormonism. What they pay for the tokens is hard to believe, but they make payments and try not to think about it.

The resale market is nill.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 05:41PM

Meditate, on nothingness.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 07:40PM

LD$ inc got a Butt Load of Money for their (stupid) MORmON tokens, byu selling, but they do NOT call it selling them, that is their MORmON trick/ MORmON deal and you are supposed to pay/ NOT compete with or copy their dealings

What is the business secret of Utah's largest corporation ?
(holding family members hostage in eternity !!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i4HC3rZiDo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.