Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 09:33AM

All that diligent (but often sloppy) genealogy work done by faithful Mormons and stored in the church's database has helped turn a couple of BYU grads into multimillionaires. Ancestry.com has been bought out for nearly $2 billion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/22/ancestry-deal_n_1999007.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 10:21AM

... as being the MOST UNFRIENDLY when it comes to UN-using your credit card. Many MANY customers have to discontinue their card to get Ancestry to take them off their auto-renewal commitments.

In other words: this is a typical mormon-run company -- watch out.

Will that change? I doubt it, why do you think it is worth $1.6 billion dollars -- they keep the money rolling in (they learned a lot from their mormonism).

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 10:46AM

Ancestry.com is Mormon run? Or is it changing into Mormon hands? Thanks for the heads up about the credit card thing, I was thinking of opening an account but not anymore!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 10:56AM

The private equity group buying them, Permira Advisers LLP, is a European company, so Mormon connections are less likely.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 12:47PM

Hey, those BYU grads knew a good thing when they saw it. An opportunity to make a killing $$$$.

I believe the firm started out as being developed by Mormons, but has changed hands since. Some non Mormons bought it out. There may still be a couple of Mormons connected to it in some way...

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:08AM

Of course Ancestry.com is Mormon-run! Are there any genealogists in the Provo-Orem area (where it is based) who are NOT Mormon?

One has to be an avid and wealthy genealogist to get a subscription, at over $30 a month!

Doing genealogical research the last couple of years on my wife's family continually takes me to their website, where they have little teasers to take a "free" one-month trial membership to view some information they have.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 12:53PM

"Charging access fees for public records is just not cool, most of this information used to be free on public websites.."

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 12:55PM

Classic.
The subscribers do the work for them - and pay for the privilege.

Sounds like a Mormon company alright.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 01:28PM

MLMs work the downline. Genealogists work the upline.

Posted by: nux ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 02:12PM

said theres alot of fraud with the site

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.