Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ed ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 09:57AM

and I am just seething with rage towards the Morg right now. I was quite familiar with a number of the absolutely despicable things that they had done in order to pass the initiative, but seeing the actual victims of their hate campaign coupled with the disingenuous way that they hid behind front groups to avoid the PR damage is positively maddening.

Overall, I can tell that the vast majority of the documentary is quite factual, but there were a few moments that raised some skeptical alarms. I was wondering if anyone else who knows more about this can confirm or deny:

1) That LDS Bishops actually showed up at members houses with tithing records demanding a certain sum of money from members. Also, that individual members were threatened with disfellowshipment or worse if they did not comply. Morg leadership is pretty evil, but this seems over the top even for them.

2) Frontal lobotomies for homosexuals. I am familiar with BYU's electroshock program, but they were also claiming that frontal lobotomies were administered to some gays as a last ditch effort to cure them. Can anyone verify this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:44AM

Mormons are plain cowards. They are as honourable as Duras, Gowron, or Cao Cao.

Date: October 02, 2010 11:51AM

Duras for sure, but Gowron? He always seemed like a winner to me, at least by Klingon High Command standards. :)

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:39PM

Gowron was a schemer who schemed his was up the ladder, and he won the chancelory only because Worf killed him. And Worf killed him latter on, and earned the Chancellory as a True Klingon.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:48AM

Here in California certain sums of money were requested. It would imply that tithing records had been looked at. I know of no one who was threatened with disfellowshipment. I know of members who were very much looked down upon as not following the prophet,
I was one of them. Two years later, members refuse to discuss prop 8. It is very telling.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:15PM

I also know of no one who was threatened with loss of church membership for not participating. Members were simply asked and encouraged to help. The Bishop did not show up at mine or anyone elses door in my ward. The more wealthy members were asked to contribute a suggested amount. I chose not to help or donate money. I though it was a waste of time and money. No one looked down on me nor gave any notice to my non participation.

Date: October 02, 2010 01:33PM

This sounds right to me. I could imagine perhaps *a* rogue Bishop doing something stupid, but I just can't imagine this being anything widespread. You're experience sounds much closer to reality.

Posted by: persephene ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:38PM

During the prop 8 business: During sacrament meeting at my southern California ward the ward clerk and missionaries (and some others) passed around some sign up sheets for people to go to door and campaign for prop 8. The bishop stood up and asked people to volunteer for X amount of hours. Then he said, of course the church can't tell you how to vote.

I've been friends with his wife since high school, and he is a genuinely good guy. I think he honestly felt bad about what he was being asked to do (and unfortunately complying). So, he added that last part.

But, it was still a huge cog/dis moment. Here is was asking people to campaign, but telling us that the church wouldn't tell us how to vote. Yeah. Right.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.