Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:35AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNnDpIW918
I know it's already been linked to tonight, but like Makurosu says, rickroll...
Am I the only one who thinks this isn't as bad as people say? I think it just got a bad rap cuz it's the Osmonds.
What if it was BTO? or Grand Funk? or Joe Walsh? It fits in with their styles? Wouldn't be considered outlandishly bad. BTO in particular--I could hear CF Turner howlin' out this tune.

'course, it could just be me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:44AM

Its not BTO or Grand Funk and certainly not Joe Walsh.

That's why they didn't record the crap.

Timothy

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:07AM

They're lacking something to pull it off right. It's the uncool kids trying to be cool. So it comes off as silly.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:19PM

Yeah... I don't think the song is that bad, but the video of them performing it looks ridiculous. At one point, Merrill turns to one of his brothers with this big cheesy grin on his face and looks like a 50 year old man in a 20 year old body. They come off as very silly and uncool.

Personally, I think the Osmonds do have talent. I am a musical person myself and I appreciate the fact that they can harmonize, play instruments, and write songs. But their music lacks depth and soul... When they sing songs like "Love Me For A Reason" or "Crazy Horses", they don't sound like they have any actual life experience. And for them to be in their 20s and not have any kind of experience that would lend credibility to their vocals or lyrics makes them patently uncool.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:08PM

which would be fine--lots of dumb songs have been huge hits--but it has no hook. Crazy horses, crazy horses. So what. It's supposed to be hard rock, but it has the heart of a show tune.

I don't think anyone could pull it off.

As for talent, I think Merrill is a better singer than Alan, Wayne, and Jay, and Donny has more talent and more charisma than all the others put together. I think he could have been a much bigger star if he hadn't been saddled with Mormonism. But, who knows. It made him who he is, and that's part of his charm. I like him for rolling with it.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:12AM

That's why. BTO, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, & others were great because they had what the Osmonds din't have: more talent.

Date: December 31, 2010 09:25AM

and pinning a human-created problem on horses ... mentally ill horses. It's demeaning to horses. And let's all notice the irony in The Osmonds admonishing us about pollution. It doesn't really seem like they're very upset about it.

As a song, I guess it's constructed well enough. It has an intro, some verses, a pre-chorus, a chorus, and a bridge. It even has an okay riff. It doesn't have a clear hook, though, and that's a problem.

It isn't Takin' Care of Business, or Some Kind of Wonderful, or Rocky Mountain Way.

On the other hand, it does kind of seem like they did some drugs ... and yet, they didn't.

If we're voting and there are only two choices, good or bad, I have to go with bad.

:-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 10:49AM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:46PM

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:29AM

It's a great piece of Rock--just ditch the video and forget the Osmonds.

My high school mascot was a Mustang--we used the song as a sort of theme song for years, with no mention of Osmonds, so few people knew (back in the mid '70's). We went all the way to state 5 years in a row, until we got a new football coach who was a Mormon hating Fundamentalist and the song (and the state titles) disappeared.

I'll always remember the football players running onto the field through those stupid paper banners the cheers made with that music going, though!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:11AM

Holy the Ghost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I the only one who thinks this isn't as bad as
> people say?

Yup!

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:20AM

The world has always needed more Patto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AswzlhxbzPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQ9FKAD2pc&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXeDXO7BlwkQiY0yjg0MwCIK

(It's a crime that Ollie Halsall's guitar has been all but forgotten.)

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 10:35AM

I don't think I've ever seen the funky chicken done so unfunkily. Make it stop!!!

Date: December 31, 2010 12:10PM

nwmcare is with me on this one
- didn't a real band do cover of this once? I'm thinking Slayer? Diamond Head? Tank?

Date: December 31, 2010 12:12PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:09PM

Words fail me when I hear that song. It's unspeakably awful like I said before.

I think we should go around osmondrolling it on public message boards where someone is debating a Mormon in order to deflate morale.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:31PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:00PM

They make more money than I do.

I can still smoke 'em though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOyKmH2_NI

Very tasteful.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 05:01PM by Timothy.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:15PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 05:16PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:30PM

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 07:27PM

the BYU bookstore in the fall of 73 and it had at least a thousand copies of their album The Plan. On Kolob Records no less!

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:27PM

I am so happy we never had such music around the house, and that my parents never tried to dictate our music choices. They may not have liked them, but they did not define what was "appropriate" or label certain music as good or bad, and with me it shows!

I felt bad for the students at YBU who listened to LD$ artists only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 10:03PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:07PM

I have fond memories of a family vacation, listening to this on 8 track. Of course, we also listened to Helen Reddy, and all the boys in my family ended up singing a capella at a rest stop, "I am strong. I am invincible. I am wo~~~man!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBnxqEVKlk

So there's no accounting for taste...

If you look up the meaning of the song, it's supposed to be about the environment. The horses actually refer to horsepower, not animals.
http://www.faqs.org/lyrics/The-Osmonds-Crazy-Horses.html

But I see where others are coming from. The Osmonds are trying to act hip, but still keep it clean. They remind me of my nephew's all white high school choir in Provo, doing a very sterile spiritual.

By the way, I love those bell bottoms!

Date: December 31, 2010 09:17PM

I was gonna write to the ASPCA and everything! That would've been SO embarrassing.

;-)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:20PM

and I was no music critic so it worked for me. If I like it at all now, it's because it reminds me of childhood.

Posted by: bograde@yahoo.com ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:40PM

It's trash and the Osmond's are worthless.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:45PM

Wait, not horses but the environment??? Holy crap, don't tell the new crop of Mustangs, righteous conservatives that they are . . . no longer a bedroom/farming community they have arrived: Master Planned and a member of a proud red state! The joke is on us '70's geeks! Twice over! ROFLMAO!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.