Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:01PM

I finally got sick of the delay and looked up my bishop's email mid December to ask what the problem is. He informed me he was just really busy but would get to it after tithing settlement. I got this email from him yesterday.

"Your request has been sent to the stake. It will be forwarded to salt lake this week.

If there is anything else that you need just let me know."

I know there are two different camps on this, and my initial attitude was that I didn't care if I was on the roles. I had been out for 10+ years and an official resignation just seemed like an overly dramatic statement when everyone knows I don't believe in the church. I decided to resign after KKK's bigotry in October, and doing so has been one of the most empowering things I've ever done. I feel like I'm really standing up for myself and for what I believe in. I'm doing this in a way that passively not supporting the church cannot do.

I don't know if I'd have this same sense of satisfaction if I had sent my letter in at any other time, but I feel as though I didn't take his comments lying down. Obviously TSCC had a PR shit-storm over what he said and I hope they feel it for a longtime. No matter how they spin it, or how they rewrite/rerecord his talk, they can never take it back. He's hurt so many people with his bigotry. Hopefully the backlash of his words makes him second guess the wisdom of spewing his hatred from the pulpit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:39PM

I hear you loud and clear vhainya!
Hopefully I will soon be out too. I already left with my feet about a year after Prop H8 here in California. When I heard Fudgepacker's talk I posted it on Facebook along with Human Rights Campaign's send a letter to the LDS calling them out on their homophobic bigotry. I also posted about the thousands of protesters in SLC. I got a whole lot of messages from TBM's calling me "to repentance", and I basically just told them to bite it, I'd already moved on was way past the point of caring. None of them had the guts to openly confront it, and I noticed for the first time ever that not one Mormon I knew had posted a single sentence, not even a word, about how wonderfully inspiring or uplifting their precious conference was. Dead silence, except for the fools that started the BKKKP lovefest on FB, embarassing the old men in Salt lake even more. TSSC is it's own worst enemy, and like you, I think they deserve being bitten in the ass by this for years to come.

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:45PM

Obviously you've heard Boyd K. Packer's statement about the 3 worst enemies of the Church - here you are an intellectual feminist, resigning over issues with gay rights! His worst nightmare!

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:48PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:45PM

I left the morg a decade ago as well. I never felt that I needed to send in a resignation either. My thoughts were if I played their game, I was in some way giving them the power that they wanted - I was "acknowledging their authority".

Then Boyd F. Packer opened his drooling mouth and stupid fell out.

I didnt' listen to MoCon, but did read of his blather here on RFM.

As soon as I could, I pulled up his talk. As I sat at my computer literally shaking with anger, I realized that the only way I could make peace with the foolish decisions of my ancestors was to finally "cut the chain".

I sent in my letter on 10-5-10. I'll never forget the date. An ordinary day turned into a very special one with one letter.

I got my co-called "official" letter on 12-24-10. I'll bet they had a deluge of letters that second week in October!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:52PM

Many of us felt it wouldn't matter if our names stayed on the mormon membership rolls, then we found out what a joy it could be to officially leave.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:14PM

When you've been told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, to resign of your own accord was the best feeling.

I felt like I had grown up (i'm in my 60's). It was the only way I knew to put the morg in its place. No more control, there was no mistaking that.

I needed to come across loud and clear and I did. They were afraid. The poor sheep were told to stay away from me.
I was a threat and I felt good.

Happy New Year one and all. Lets hope lots more people decide to start the new year in a positive way and get their lives back too.

Thanks RfM for all your hard work. Its appreciated .

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:26PM

For many of the same reasons posted here, but particularly the idea that jumping through their paperwork hoops constituted a tacit admission of their authority over me.

I'd had a friend resign in the mid-90s or so, but really didn't want to bother.

But ultimately, what pushed me over the edge, was just one too many visits from the ward folks. I just realized the only way it would stop was through resignation.

And since I had always had issues with LDS politics and beliefs, I wrote the letter.

I was surprised at how good it felt. Truly surprised.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:33PM

I am not officially out

perhaps, I will wait for the next sh**storm [I have no doubt there will be many more]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.