Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 09:16PM

Confused wrote:
"I was raised a born again or saved Christian and still believe in most of those principles. However, I'm thinking of converting to Mormonism, because it is more in line with my ideas about families/worship/etc, and I really love the local ward. Please don't give me all the reasons why NOT to convert...I've read those here.

"What I'm basically asking is if those of you who are Christians think God would hold my Mormon baptism against me. Do you think it would deny me entrance to heaven? Do you think God would "take away" my salvation? Thoughts appreciated."

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply on your thread yesterday. I couldn't stop thinking about you today though, especially as it seems your baptism is scheduled for tomorrow, New Year's Day.

First, I wanted to say that you received many helpful comments on your thread that I hope you will think seriously about.

Your post made me think back to my own baptism in the Mormon Church (not a happy memory for me). I have written here several times about my Mormon baptism and what an unhappy experience the actual baptism service was for me, so I won't belabour it now. Suffice it to say that it was a very hurtful experience for me (I had not met the bishop before and he turned out to be strange, angry, overbearing and rude, accusing my married Mormon friend who was going to baptize me of having an affair with me and questioning the "worthiness" state of both of us, nearly refusing to proceed with the baptism - had I but known it, that may have been the better alternative). It took a long time for me to come to terms with what had happened and it cost me that friendship and any hope I had of actually converting solidly and sticking with the church.

The ONLY reason I went through with the baptism after that humiliating interlude immediately prior to my scheduled dunking (I mean, everybody was waiting for us to start the service and the bishop delayed us by half an hour, interrogating my friend - and his wife - and leaving me alone in the cold, dark hallway for nearly an hour, not knowing what was going on but feeling that it was something horrific - btw, there was absolutely no truth at all to the bishop's "revelation" that all was not well in Zion) was that there was a room full of people waiting for the event, mostly made up of the entire zone of missionaries who had been given permission to attend as I knew them all well and had no other friends or relatives present, being an adult convert with no Mormon family members or friends.

I was a total wreck after the bishop got done and was sitting alone in a dark little room outside the chapel while everyone else was clock-watching and wondering what was up due to the inordinate delay, even by Mormon standards. My friend's wife found me there and instead of saying let's go somewhere and talk about this, she said let's get the baptism done and then we can talk (the talk part never happened).

My Mormon baptizer friend was white as a sheet after his interrogation by the bishop, which included being told that he was not allowed to give the baptism talk he had prepared. I was using up all my energy not to burst into tears and run out of there (I was wimpier then; thankfully I have since learned to speak up for myself).

My only thought at that point was that I couldn't cancel at the very last minute so had to proceed. It puts me in mind of a nervous bride having serious second thoughts right at the church door. We can all accept that it would be a grave mistake for her to go through with the ceremony unless she were 100% sure it was what she truly wanted to do. How much more so would it be easy, and right, to delay a baptism unless one were positive it was the way to go.

My point is that I am all in favour of you cancelling your scheduled baptism unless and until you feel 100% certain that it's what you really want to do - and not that you're going ahead because you have been pressured to do it or that you feel it's too late to cancel. Please stop and think only about your own beliefs and needs and desires at this point.

I would say that if it were the right thing to do, at this time, or ever, I would expect you to have peace about your decision, not the second and third thoughts you are experiencing or the stress or questions. As many others commented on your own thread, what is the RUSH? If it's the right thing to do, you should feel assurance of that before proceeding. If you don't, that's a good reason to postpone at least (or cancel!). If there are questions or doubts, please take time to think again about it.

Also, expect the missionaries and perhaps other members to tell you that your uncertainty or desire to postpone is emanating from Satan and therefore you should PROCEED, not delay as you feel like doing. They routinely tell people that Satan will be "working hard against you" in the days and hours leading up to your baptism.

They may also advise you not to read or listen to any "anti-Mormon" information (such as this web site). Trying to gather information and see both sides of a question is not a weakness but rather a strength.

The Mormons, more than any other religious group I have encountered, try to rush people into baptism and discourage them from finding out much information from outside sources. This is a good reason for a rational person to have misgivings about what's up. Information should not be seen as counterproductive. Nor does it have any magical powers that can draw you away from the right path against your will.

I had a lot of other points in mind to express but I'll leave it at that - that proceeding with something so important merely so as not to disappoint others is not recommended as a rational choice, that there should be no rush, that you are free at all times to change your mind, that this is an important decision and should be entered into with certainty and peace, not with you being rushed and stressed. Above all, I'd say to discount any advice, from anybody, that recommends you stop asking questions and seeking information. If it's truth, it will stand on its own merits, no matter what outside influences occur. In no mainstream church, no matter what denomination, will you be rushed to be baptized, join, or do anything else that makes you feel uncomfortable or that your choices, desires, needs or beliefs are being overlooked or brushed aside.

If you do proceed, please be prepared to have the atmosphere instantly change. Again, against the norm in other churches, suddenly the refrain becomes "what can you do for the church" (and you will be told, there is little choice in this matter) rather than how the church meets your worship preferences or needs. That can be a shock. Absolutely everything about the Mormon Church changes once you get baptized and all of it is radically different from anything with which you may be familiar.

Above all, please remember that you should always have a choice about things that are important to you and that you always have the right to say NO, even if it's one minute before your scheduled baptism.

Good luck, either way. I hope you are continuing to read the posts at RfM and that you feel welcome to return with any other questions you may have, either before or after baptism, should you go ahead with it. And did I mention that not much is forever, in that you are always free to change your mind and then change it again, as you seek to find your way through all this.

If you were wondering what happened to your thread, they get closed after around 30 replies (at which point they may sink down to page 2, then 3, etc, but they are still there). You are always free to start a part 2.

I hope you come back and let us know what happened. We are here to support you whatever you decide and whatever happens tomorrow.

Chin up and be sure to stick up for yourself and your own needs. Put your self-protection mechanism into overdrive on this one. What you want and need are just as important as any other consideration.

On New Yr's Day, no matter how close to your scheduled baptism time it gets to be, take a deep breath and go with your gut if you have to - if it doesn't feel right or you're still stressed and uncertain, it is your right to change your mind!

Hope all goes well for you, no matter what, on the first day of 2011.

Options: ReplyQuote
Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.