Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 02:04PM

Charles10 brought up an important question in another thread...

He asked: The single, childless man interjects:
Does anyone know exactly when this interviewing minors thingy started? What were they thinking? I know, back in the day it wasn't an issue so no one raised a brow. But what was the original purpose of getting minors into the bishop's office for worthiness interviews? Did the Sexual Revolution of the 60's and 70's prompt this?

I don't recall any interview when I went on my dead-dunking excursion from another state to the St. George temple in the fifties.

Anybody know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 02:38PM

I would like to know this as well!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:03AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:23AM

I was a happy teenage member during the '60s, when Mormon life was so much sweeter (car washes!, bazaars!, road shows!, live music at stake dances!). I don't remember ever sitting alone with the bishop and being asked about anything. I just remember it happening to my kids. Something happened in between, but I don't remember when.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:36AM

The euphemism of the day was "playing with yourself". I sincerely answered no since I never played, it was always for real.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:04AM

Love it Shummy!!!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:45PM

pulled into the Bish's office alone with closed doors. I was a late bloomer and did not know what playing with yourself was but knew I felt really creepy with an adult talking to me like this.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:47AM

I remember first being asked personal sexual questions in about 1970. We had interviews with the bish about once a year it seems like. Hated it.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 07:15AM

I always had the impression that bishops were too hung up on these taboos to ask deep personal questions. I believe that after the 70s began, boys were questioned more thoroughly than girls but I could be wrong. I can only draw on my own experiences.

None of my children have reported intrusive interviews and I know they would have reacted with shock and horror if they had experienced such.

However, they all kicked the church to the curb early on so who knows?

Briggy

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:27AM

I don't remember any questions about sexual morality for my deacon interview but I definitely remember it for my teacher interview in 1974. The bishop asked if I masturbated. I honestly didn't know what the word meant and he had to tell me. Two years later it was a differently story. By that time, I had learned what it was personally and had no problem lying about it.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:34AM

When I was a teen we were interviewed regularly. It was generally associated with getting some "award" -- I don't remember what they called them. But it involved paying tithing, attendance, etc. Our bish always brought in the morality question, but that was his soapbox, so I don't know if that was standard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 11:35AM by Laban's Head.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:46AM

I grew up in the '80s and went through many of them. However, the bishop never really probed the area of sexuality other than just "are you morally pure?" to which I always answered yes. No bishop ever asked if I masturbated and until I heard BKPs talk, I never really knew it was considered wrong by Mormon standards. They played that talk at a conference for young men and boy was my face red. I think that I, and the other 13 year-olds were grateful that they'd turned out the lights for that portion of the talk.

I'm really not aware of any religion which does this. True, Catholics have confession, but that is voluntary.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:00PM

I was baptized just after my 17th birthday in 1976. I don't remember ever being asked anything other than a general, "Do you keep the Law of Chastity?"

Although, come to think of it, I remember not even knowing what the Church's stance on masturbation was (actually, I didn't even know that word as a teenager). So I guess they never mentioned it in church. It was just, "Do you keep yourself morally clean?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 01:02PM by Greyfort.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:34PM

I had a friend who was 10 years older than I am (she has passed away). She told me that she didn't have these interviews.

My best friend's dad was the bishop. He knew me well enough to know that I didn't even date until I was out of high school. He asked if I masturbated (didn't know what it was), if I necked and petted (also didn't know what they meant). This started at age 12. We also had 6 month interviews with a counselor in the bishopric. We had goal books back then, too, and they had to be signed off every 6 months. I don't remember the counselors asking sexually-oriented questions--BUT to get a dance card and I know we had to get them more than once a year--quarterly, I believe, you also got to be asked if you masturbated or necked and petted. The girls who dated, got asked more in depth questions like, "Do you get turned on when you sit next to your boyfriend in the car?" My sister's class discussed these interviews more.

The bishop would also pause after our "no" answer and stare us down--I guess to gain discernment.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:35PM

I turned 12 in 1969--first bishopric interview.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:26PM

Asked about "playing with myself" in 1959 in a "worthiness interview"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.