Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:25PM

here's an idea for the new year, a book of mormon burning [b.o.m.b.] a gathering of ex-saints, lurkers, nevermo's, open to all [ in slc ?] a bonfire, the fuel being the truest [lol] book on earth, then youtube it, what would the breathurine think about that, during exmo conference maybe? what do ya say ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:35PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:37PM

I agree... and I think a mass book burning of the BOM would only fuel the Mormon persecution complex.

Posted by: jan ( )

I'm keeping mine; I have my grandfather's, published in the 1950s and my dad's circa 1980. Maybe someday I'll have the chance to use the evolution of the Most Perfect Book to plant a seed in some TBMs mind.

Does the Corp. still give out free ones; I'd certainly be up to getting a load of them and burning them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )

They make nice flames.

Posted by: Strykary ( )

No.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 01:56PM

Book Burning is a terrible thing to say about our RIGHTS to write and read anything we want.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:04PM

Burning books is fundamentally wrong, in my opinion. The only people in history that have burned books are anti-intellectuals who wanted to prevent others from having the freedom to read and think what they want.

Is that the kind of person you are?

You want to be classed in the same crowd as that Christian preacher who wanted to publicly burn the Koran?

Is that the image you want the world to have of us exmormons?

Can you imagine what fuel (pardon the pun) that would provide defenders of the church to show what kind of people those apostates are?

Even rabid atheists do not conduct public bible-burnings.

My advice: FORGET IT!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:27PM

I just have a fundamental aversion to the idea of burning books for any reason. A little too Farenheit 451 for me.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:35PM

Posted by: Hugh Geoffens-Kaamm ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:27PM

Maybe instead a "Temple Garment Burning". Nothing anti-intellectual there. And maybe some bras thrown in for good measure.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:37PM

Better to have a GARMENT FASHION SHOW!!

Posted by: blacklisted ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:41PM

If we had a Garment Fashion Show with some hotties that have left the fold, can you imagine all the chubbies popping out of those bottoms??? LMAO!!!
That would be an EPIC YOUTUBE VIDEO

Posted by: boggswuzrite ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:41PM

hey carthage: i don't think a lot of people are ready for that, i know you despise mormonism, but it's sort of like, say, destroying the deseret news bldg [ sort of ] and we all remember how that turned out in the 1800's , anyway carthage, glad to see you're not having any more erotic dreams about emma smith :]

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 02:44PM

you know who else organised book burnings?

Posted by: mojoenogo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 03:06PM

erotic dreams about emma smith, carthagegray , do tell ?

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 03:11PM

Mom has a much classier, more subtle approach... she places them in an appropriate place and then invites me and my bro Buster to "mark" em in our distinctive way. There was a real awful book she found, it was a book about raising godly kids by beating them and stuff, that she did that with it and oh, it was fun it was, the book got all swole up about three times its size and the pages like stuck together and it sure did smell funky. Then it went in the trash.

And she told us we was her good Boyz.

And we are, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 03:11PM by The StalkerDog™.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 03:39PM

Besides, if somebody burned a big ol' pile of book of mormons- or is it books of mormon? Then all the mormons could whimper and whine about oh, oh, how persecuted they are by all them big bad old atheists and stuff.

And it is very hard on folks with asthma and allergies and ever-thing.

If you REALLY REALLY gotta be burning them books, well if you gots Photoshop and I think it's called Kais power tools you can do a virtual burning, make an animation where the flames dance and stuff, my mom could tell ya how to do it if yer interested.

Yer non-flammable pal,
Reggie the StalkerDog™

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 04:43PM

Very cold apartment and not enough money for adequate heating. Was fortunate that previous elders had left a whole box of BoMs in a damp area and all the books were completely ruined and useless. My comp was completely aghast at the idea of burning them in the open fire but even as a TBM I still had a pragmatic streak, thinking that we can't hand them out to anyone so we may as well put them to some use. Perhaps this was a metaphorical foreshadowing of later events.

Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 10:22PM

As for me, I'll take RPackham's advice.

Posted by: Long ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:59PM

Check out the fashion show idea. That could really draw some attention! How does Mitt look in his Jesus Jammies? Do his constituents know he wears them? What are they? Could somebody do a YouTube video (no faces) of a project runway garments? Maybe some special attention to those Masonic symbols? Hmm, seeds of curiosity..and no weird affiliations to the book burning whackos. Burn book. yawn.Show off secret undies? That would set off the right kind of ruckus!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:00AM

Book burning?! Jesus Christ, might as well go join the Nazis.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.