Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 06:26PM

I have a relative who has suddenly decided to go on a mission.

This was something of a surprise to this relative's significant other but the latter has offered significant support for that choice.

Anyway, this relative wants to get their call soon and has openly said so. Their desire is to receive their call to the field within a matter of a few short weeks--so as to expedite entry into the harvesting ranks (and perhaps, I am inclined to suspect, in order to get back sooner from the field to rehook with their significant other).

I asked how that sped-up process would be accomplished and was informed by those who knew of the situation that certain strings were being pulled within the family circle to accomplish that goal.

Welcome to the back-channel Mormon world, where the "Who-Knows-Who" get done the "What-Knows-What"--in other words, where all are not alike in the eyes of God.

:)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 06:43PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nt ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 08:08PM

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:23AM

So the reigning authorities pass out favors to the chosen while everyone else relies on prayer to an imaginary being that accomplishes nothing.

TSCC is elitist, essentially an aristocracy with a king, prince, ruling class, hierarchies of power, and a earthly regent. They favor the “right” people, and hate the poor, which means more $$$ to siphon off for them, their family, and their friends.

Posted by: obiwankolobi ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:26AM

I kind of thought the church was a family business. Of course they opened the door to Dieter and a few outsiders.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:42AM

I asked her how in the name of Heaven did she do it?

She was cutting my hair. "I really didn't have to do anything. My father is a Regional Representative and a good friend with GBH, and it wasn't difficult at all."

I said, "My ex-husband beat me and strangled me. Your ex-husband must have done something really terrible...."

"No," she said, "He's a really good guy. We were married for a few months, and just decided we were tired of each other, and not really in love."

It is absolutely WHO_YOU_KNOW in that cult!

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:18AM

I'm related to a Mission President and someone in a Temple Presidency, so I have it quite easy tbh. :D

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:25AM

I'm one of those descended from bastards born out of wedlock--I guess that would have been my grandfather (yes, that recent).

Since I was never "mormon royalty" or so I thought or because of how we were treated because my parents and grandparents didn't toe the party line--I didn't realize how much ancestry played in your royalty position in the church until I came to this board.

BUT I was more than aware as a practicing mormon that there was a pecking order.

Thanks for posting your stories, Steve. I've said before--they are not only eye-opening, but my ex and I watched you very carefully at the time you were leaving the church and it helped us walk away.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:28PM

Kimballs, Eyrings........ I saw who got the better missions and callings and..........

Posted by: Hidden Sister ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:16PM

The unfairness of this all kills me. My very TBM son needed to get out on his mission this last summer so he could get back in time for his ROTC scholarship in 2 yrs. Unfortunately, his Bishop and Stake Pres. were next to impossible to get the paperwork moving and as it turned out, he didn't leave on his mission until mid-September.

He wrote the church office and begged them to let him go mid-August instead so he can get back in time for his schooling and ROTC commitment. Their answer? Nada. They ignored him and he didn't even receive a reply! This for a boy who worships the church and is giving away 2 yrs of his life!

Instead, he faithfully left for his mission in September and I hope and pray he isn't brainwashed enough to not get back in time for school 2 yrs from now.

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:39PM

Aww. That sounds really unlucky. :( I was once in a similar situation.

However, some of the more open-minded Mission Presidents will let someone leave their mission a few weeks early so that they can attend education a year earlier when they get back home, so you could see about that. I know of two cases where that happened. One guy who was supposed to return from his mission a few weeks ago, appeared at church like a month early. Everybody was quite surprised, but he said his MP allowed him to go early so he'd not miss September for Uni.

Another one was a counsellor on my Young Men's Presidency. His experience was a bit different, but he was in a similar situation, finishing his mission a couple of weeks after Uni started. He was training to be a doctor, and he said that his Mission President pretty much forced him to go early, even though he didn't want to. It's good though, that his MP wasn't as brainwashed as he was!

So basically, you might be lucky. Most Mission Presidents are flexible to about a fortnight either side of the 2 years (they have to be), but if that's not enough, you could get more; it's worth a try. That's presuming your son still wants to do the ROTC though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:17PM

Sounds like a case of "We are royalty, Bow to only the Gods on Kolob, and save a spot for me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:44PM

I saw a little bit of this today. My daughter wanted me to go to GC tomorrow with her as a friend in this ward got her tickets. When I said we better get there early because we'll have to walk several miles to the conference center, she said, "No, we have a parking pass because (the friend who got her the tickets) is the Stake RS President."

BUT my daughter was slow in picking up the tickets and they were given to someone else . . . I'm sure you could hear my sigh of relief all the way to SLC.

Date: October 02, 2010 08:15PM

. . . even though ETB exited 16 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 08:16PM by steve benson.

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 12:01AM

you're kidding, right!?

Date: October 04, 2010 04:04AM

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:19AM

My sister recently married into the Packer family (yes, they are related to Boyd K -- He's the uncle or great uncle or something) and all of a sudden she can't stop talking about how great the Church is. They start 'em early I guess.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.