Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sawyer ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 10:50PM

When you were a true believing Mormon, what were some of your secret thoughts while watching General Conference? These are thoughts that you would never verbalize, but were prominent in your mind.

One of mine:

"Why are these speakers so lame? They need some motivational public speaking courses."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jacobi ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 11:34PM

My thought - "when is this going to end!"

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:21AM

Forcing all my kids to watch and then wondering why in the world I did that. Bythe time they were teenagers they would go to their rooms and watch...or not. I remember getting mad at them if they weren't paying attention. 4 of those indoctrinated kids are now very active.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:39AM

I used to wonder why they seemed so clueless about what was really going on in the world.

I wondered what was wrong with me that I was not impressed and did not feel the spirit. Why was their concept of spirituality so different from mine?

I wondered how they could seemingly sit there for so long without bathroom breaks.

I used to get agitated and upset with some of their nonsense and was amazed at how naive they were about the bible. I wondered why I knew more about the bible than these so-called apostles of Jesus Christ. It made me shudder.

Sadly, I actually used to think SWK was truly inspired and had some kind of Jesus encounter. But now I know none of them have ever been in touch with Jesus.

I also used to wish they would reveal a little about church finances but I was still deluded into thinking they knew best about what to do with the money.

I haven't watched conference the last few years but did manage to see Holland's rant. I wondered at the time if he was under some kind of pressure and if deep down he now has some serious doubts.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:26PM

Posted by: george ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:54AM

I used to wonder when "thus sayeth the Lord" revelations were going to be announced to the church.

Posted by: Slacker ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:14AM

"I wonder if I am the only one in here who thinks this is all a bunch of BS?"

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:20AM

As a kid, I thought, "Conference weekend??? No Church!!!!"

When I grew up and had to watch it on satellite, my thoughts during conference ranged from "When is lunch?" to "ZZZZZZZ".

When was the last time they said anything new at conference?

I go to conferences for work every year and they always have lots of new innovations to talk about. The Lard's Mouthpiece can't think of anything relevant that God wants us to know, so they just recycle the same pablum.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:51PM

so I could stay awake. I have never seen other speakers lick their lips so much. Trivia, I know, but had to stay awake somehow.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 05:44PM

http://www.lifetrainingonline.com/blog/how-to-detect-lies.htm
"Lip licking and hard swallowing"

http://www.ehow.com/how_4578336_body-language-tell-someones-lying.html
"Look for any indication that the speaker has a dry mouth, a common side effect of lying. This can include lip licking, frequent swallowing or repetitious small sips of a beverage."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:31AM

My parents weren't over the top mormon, so for us conference weekend was a vacation. I think my mother would strongly suggest watching and she would watch some sessions (usually would take a drive and listen to some of it).

As I got older and I became the "most religious" in the family, then I was the one always listening. I thought they were inspired. I really did! I looked forward to listening and to reading the talks in the Ensign later.

BUT I went to GC 3-1/2 years ago with my daughter. I GET TO GO TOMORROW. I found it VERY INTERESTING. I'll find it interesting tomorrow. I am blown away by the fact that it is SO VERY UNINSPIRING and actually STUPID. It is kind of fun to see it from this perspective. I went to GC in the tabernacle ONCE at age 18 and this will be my second time in my 50s as an exmormon. What is really bizarre is the insanity going on outside the conference center by the mormons no less.

What I found really crazy--after going ot GC and finding it idiotic, to listen to GBH's funeral. I couldn't help myself. NOTHING--absolutely NO INSPIRING stories were told. You'd think that being president of the LDS church, they'd have one story after another. Nope, they talked about him shaking his cane at the crowd. Wow! Quite a man!

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:15PM

One of the best conferences I attended took place outside of Snowflake, Arizona. We had a family cookout at a place just outside of town. My cousins and I were allowed run wild while my parents and the aunts and uncles tried to listen to conference on the radio. It only happened once, sad to say.

Because my dad's parents lived in Salt Lake City, we often visited Utah as well. I ended up at one conference being seated right behind the news media. I noticed that I could read along with the journalists right as the talks were being given. I didn't know about Teleprompters then, so I was disappointed to learn that the GAs were just reading words projected on a screen. It was at that same conference that Howard W. Hunter fell backwards while talking into a floral arrangement. We all thought for a moment he'd been taken to his eternal reward at last!

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:26PM

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:27PM

I got validation watching it, since the rest of the cruel, cold heathen world "just didn't understand" why I was trying to live a pure Mormon lifestyle.

But, I often cried. I used to think it was the Spirit. I know recognize, after years of comparing how I act and react, that those tears were actually depression speaking.

Although I love music and used to look forward to the music, particularly, I have since listened to so many fabulous choirs and musicians on a regular basis, that the Mo Tab really doesn't compare or rate. Also, I can now see that the music at Gen Conf is purposely soft and subdued to try to provoke that emotional, teary response that Mormonism uses to sell itself. Ick! It doesn't do anything for me now!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:09PM

I always thought GC was sooo boring! I never could sit down and watch that boring stuff, I loved the reaction on peoples faces(the goon squad) at my reply when they asked if I watched conference..."Did you watch conference?" me: "Nope, there was a really good movie on Pay per view". LOL!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 02:10PM by orangecat.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:46PM

If work builds character, and all work, even menial work, is sacred and must be done lovingly, why don't the General Authorities and the Quorum of the Seventy clean the toilets?

Conference speeches that emphasize work are "clean the toilets and be grateful for the opportunity" lectures. Or perhaps the metaphors lauding mindless toil could be classified as "stop telling the Bishop you're too busy with all this non-church business and start cleaning the toilets for your ward," or simply "give us all your time and labor, and thank us for taking it."

I'll believe this labor-is-noble schtick when I see Tommy Monson taking the mop from an overworked member and doing the job himself.

Posted by: emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 02:57PM

As an adult I'd watch GC and I'd always fall asleep, and I have a difficult time falling asleep!

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:11PM

Here is a talk that made me feel sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWPM-6iWp-4

Its not the content of the talk, its HOW she talks; the constant 'clicking' and squelshing sound of the saliva in her gob makes me feel ill! Ewwww!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:24PM

The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning.....

according to this priest - he illustrates it thus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFdbpnpZ_U

I love our wacky British vicars, they're a hoot!

Briggy

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 03:27PM

I dodged a bullet. The lady who was holding the tickets for my daughter gave them to someone else when my daughter didn't go get them last night.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 06:03PM

"I used to wonder why they seemed so clueless about what was really going on in the world."

I felt that old, respected, rich MEN could not empathize with a struggling single working mother--or with anyone normal, for that matter.

"I wondered what was wrong with me that I was not impressed and did not feel the spirit. Why was their concept of spirituality so different from mine?"

I didn't believe that God and Christ were like the Mormons told them to be. These old geezers seemed arrogant, like the pharasees of old, and did not represent a Christ-like life.

Other thoughts: I always resented their sexist condescention to women. They SAID women were equal, but did not treat us as such. I didn't like their elitism above all other churches. Especially, their racism got to me.

As a TBM, I'd listen to conference, hoping to hear some sort of revelation or illumination. I would end up getting depressed.

Posted by: NotAMolly ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:08PM

During my uber-TBM days I loved watching conference. I even used to take notes! I think it was a way of validating myself..."See how spiritual I am? Aren't I awesome?!?! I'm for sure going to the CK now. Maybe since I'm so incredibly spiritually awesome the lord will FINALLY bless me with that handsome RM he promised me!"

Yikes.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 10:33AM

Like NotaMolly, I used to validate my spirituality by taking notes as well. If I took notes, I at least had something to take away from the meetings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.