Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:39PM

Mine is;
"Replenish & fulfill the Earth"
Benefits; get more tithing.
Multiply like rats, constantly try to exterminate each other for land, like in Middle East
So we can sell ounce of gold for 1700$, sell daughters to sex slavery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 02:29PM

I concur *IF* you also add 1 additional counsel about said reproduction:

"Don't wait until you are older, done with your education, or financially secure. Get married young, have children young, and trust that the Lord will provide" [paraphrased]

That's half the reason I shell out so much cash to my family & in-laws... because the Lord doesn't provide, *I* provide.

...I suppose I shouldn't get pissed off about it, I should just make them all refer to me as "Lord Rob" or something :P

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 03:33PM

Definitely this one:

"After reading these scriptures together, Bishop Orellana looked at the new convert and said, 'If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing. The Lord will not abandon you.' "

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/12/sacred-transformations?lang=eng

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 05:03PM

All of them.

Seriously, it's hard to pick.

The multiply and replenish is a good one, as is the tithing one. The one that got me the worst though as a young man growing up in the heart of Mormon country was "Every young man should serve a mission. If you aren't worthy, get worthy."

I knew at a VERY early age that I could never serve a mission. I was punished by the church severely for that. Neither of my parents cared if I went or not but the surrounding community and wards did.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 05:07PM

Listen to the still small voice and follow your feelings.

But officer I felt really strongly that I should pick up the man that was standing in the middle of the road waving his gun. I didn't know he would put a bullet in my chest.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 09:12PM

Or that green tea and coffee are bad for humans.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 09:18PM

The whole sabbath thing is a pretty stupid one. If you take it literally, you society spends one seventh of its time worshiping an empty god.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 08:31PM

Not that I'm giving the JWs credit... but when I had an exJW GF I was happy when she told me the JWs consider Sunday/Sabbath worship to be a Mosaic Law (OT) thing, fulfilled by Jesus, so Sundays are just another day of the week.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 11:26PM

Obeying honoring and sustaining the law....unless we don't feel like it.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 12:01AM

The commandment that if a man thinketh upon sin (or adultry) that he hath already committed sin.

Dammed to be in hell....every last one of us. NO ONE can not think about sin. It is a sadistic philosophy that leads to depression and self flogging.

christians are a miserable group to believe in this idea that Jesus taught.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 04:53PM

Every time someone tries to portray Jesus as this lovable hippie like character, I think of unreasonable BS that he spouted like this.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 08:56PM

How is it unreasonable to consider entertaining evil thoughts to be undesirable in itself?

Posted by: agentpi ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 01:19AM

I dunno, the commandment to murder seems pretty dumb to me.

Although that one's usually given out on a case-by-case basis.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 02:17AM

How can I pick just ONE?

People already covered the "get married before you can even take care of YOURSELF" commandment. And the "donate money to us, even if it means starving" commandment.

I think the garments rank pretty high up there, though. They are just gross. Sweaty, sticky, and particularly bad for women in the reproductive years. I used to live in the southwest, and they were awful. But I wore them. And if my mother (a temple worker) hadn't given me the advice to wear my nursing bra UNDER the garment, it would have been worse.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 02:33AM

I would say the rule against masturbation is one of the worst commandments.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 03:06PM

But it's self abuse!!!

Posted by: shadowspade ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 08:23PM

This one gets my vote too.

Posted by: brothergalileo ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 02:27PM

Thou shalt not think for thyself and shalt not question anything

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 02:48PM

Not all truth is useful

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 04:49PM

WHITE shirts
NO PANTS for wymens

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 04:50PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 04:56PM

What a waste of money. For most families, the emergencies are job loss and medical expenses. Why not command them to have 6 months expenses in the bank?

That food will go bad before it is ever used. In a flood like Katrina or Sandy, you have to evacuate and leave it behind. It will be spoiled when you get back. The bank money could have been used to pay for your motel and expenses.

Cash is far more valuable than food storage. That $2k would be better spent in an emergency fund.

72 hour kit? Great idea. Year's supply? waste of good money.

Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 05:07PM

My wife and I have both come to the conclusion that the ban on masturbation is the worst because it creates so many feelings of inadequacy and guilt over something that is not only natural, but offers a safe outlet for sexual desires until you're ready for sex. I've read articles about LDS kids who attempted suicide (or succeeded) because they couldn't completely quit on their masturbation habits. The way people are made to feel like they are second rate citizens for masturbating is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Posted by: FRANCOIS MORIN ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 11:06AM

Posted by: Francois Morin ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 12:45PMCivil lawsuit against LDS Church based on their psychosexual abuse

Hi everyone,

On June 12th 2012, I have deposited a civil lawsuit against the LDS Church AND my parents due the psychological trauma caused by the anti-masturbation propaganda.

Here is my story. I was raised by my parents in the mormon faith. At the age of 12 (1992), I went throught the worthiness interview in order for me to be submitted to the baptism of the Dead.

When it came to the Law of CHastity, the 1st counselor has asked me if I masturbated. Intimitated, and believing it was very wrong as I have been taught, I lied about it.

The consequence were brutal. When I did participated to the Baptism of the 46 dead people (my own ancestors) few weeks after the actual worthiness interview, I felt I had betrayed all my ancestors and that because of my unworthyness, their souls would remain in hell for eternity.

The guilt just grew up with the years while I was considering myself evil and a imposture.

After having trying to quit this bad habit without succes. I attempted suicide at age 16.

I developped a severe mental condition with extreme sexual dysfonction.

After leaving the CHurch because of the overwhelme feelings of guilt (psychosexual shame), I was lucky enough to receive professionnal help which has brought me to the deposition of the actual civil lawsuit.

My story is very similar to Kip Eliason's story :

http://www.affirmation.org/suicide_info/sin_and_death_in_mormon_country.shtml

Many thanks to Dr Mark Kim Malan for his precious study on the subject which I obviously put as evidence to my legal complaint file :

http://fr.scribd.com/doc/25111987/Historical-Development-of-New-Masturbation-Attitudes-in-Mormon-Culture

To all the youth in the LDS CHurch that has and continu to suffer due to the false teachings of the Church about masturbation.

François Morin
Montreal, Canada

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 11:43AM

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 08:21PM

The big deal about coffee is beyond ridiculous....

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 05, 2012 08:35PM

Temple Work

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: December 06, 2012 02:59PM

Masterbation

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: December 09, 2012 12:43PM

I'll add my vote for masturbation. Unmeasurable suffering caused by vilifying something as natural as going to the bathroom. Thanks morg!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.