Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmouse ( )
Date: December 07, 2012 07:44PM

I went to http://www.lds.org/ to look up something and there on the landing page is a "Christmas is..." ad with a picture of a little girl with hands clasped, like she's worshipping/praying... it seems to me she must be looking up at an alter with a statue of jesus. Two problems with that, of course:
1) they don't have statues of jesus at mormon churches
2) I have NEVER seen a mormon clasp their hands that way that at church - if this was a mormon girl, she'd be folding her arms

If mormons are not embarrassed by their religion, why are they always misrepresenting it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 07, 2012 07:50PM

LOL

I went to see what you were talking about. Yes. The only thing that she would be 'worshipping' here would be the speaker.

Nevertheless......to the right there are 4 pictures. Girl at top, then a pic of Mary/Joseph/Baby Jebus. Then The Three Dumb Men......and then below that there is a pic of hot-n-hunky Jebus. But I hate his highlights. Total crappy foil job. He should have sprung for a decent balayage. (I used to date a colorist)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 07, 2012 07:53PM

Every single opening prayer ever. Dear HF, please bless the speaker, and bless those who aren't here to partake of the speaker.

Every single closing prayer ever. Dear HF please bless us so that we will be safe going home. The speaker was so boring, that most of us are too drowsy to drive.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 01:13PM

Speaking of Jesus depictions, why they always a North European dude? If they really want to be realistic, they should have a Middle Eastern dude. Oh s**t he might look like Bin Laden!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 07, 2012 07:57PM

1t looks like she is kneeling too just like Mormons always do in church. Lol

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: December 07, 2012 08:13PM

It's marketing...

One thing I've noticed over the years, as a neverMo, is the never ending effort to convince outsiders that they are "normal," and "christian." This seems to have increased recently. I see advertisements everywhere online now about "I'm just a regular person, yada yada yada, and, hey, I'm a mormon..." I mean, what other "church" is relentlessly buying advertising all over the internet? Like any other business, it must pay off: you only buy advertising if it generates more revenue than it costs, right? But it sickens me to go to YouTube, search for a christian artist or song, and the first three PAID slots come up with mormon crap.

My mormon sister-in-law tries endlessly to pretend they are just regular people, and just go to church, etc.

And it's irrational: "all christian churches are 'apostate,' but, hey, we're 'christian'." Why try so hard to convince people that you are something that's so bad?

It's bait and switch...I mean, uhh, "milk before meat."

Posted by: exmouse ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 12:49PM

Nomonomo you are so right; I didn't think quite about the return on investment of advertising costs. I still sometimes have my old mormon blinders on (after 20 years!). Ick.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 07, 2012 09:11PM

They must have had a GA visiting the week that picture was taken.

That is not a mormon prayer pose. They fold their arms, close their eyes, and bow their heads. A parent would never be sitting there with their eyes open and arms not folded. They might get chastised by their child if they did.

It looks more like a good little Catholic girl at church.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 01:04PM

This is spectacular marketing. They wouldn't do it if it weren't a corporation. Way to try to look normal... What happened to "We are a peculiar people and darn proud of it!"?

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 03:16PM

It's very likely not even a Mormon mother and child. It's from some outfit that sells the use of pictures, like clip art.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 03:49PM

You are right. The clasped hands instead of the folded arms are a dead giveaway. By the way, the folding of arms is quite different from the prayer hands even in the Sistine chapel. Where did this folding of arms come from? I have long made a conscious effort to never fold my arms again in praying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.